Game Thread: Illinois vs Chicago State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Efficient at the rim but tbh the offense hasn’t looked very good today IMO. We look sloppy. Relying on some pretty outstanding finishing at the rim to save a few possessions. I want more crisp ball movement, more open shots, less turnovers. This opponent is horrendous so it should be rather easy to find a groove on offense.
You’re not wrong, but I’d say we’re looking like a team with a 30 point lead playing their second game in 24 hours.

This is the first I’ve seen Illinois this year. Still a bit surreal. Kofi and Ayo plus new accomplished help. We look stacked.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
They are also clearly trying different offensive sets and working hard to go inside. Gotta tune all the cylinders!

Chicago State really slowing down the pace. Lame...why don’t they wanna have fun and lose by 50?

I always wonder when it comes to point spreads if some Chicago State player(s) might be getting paid to slow down the pace

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Love that little anecdote earlier about how Underwood periodically asks the team who's the toughest to play against in the B10. They used to say MSU, but now they say "we are."

This is an impressive team to watch play and develop. The biggest question in my mind is where and how is BU going to use Hutch if and when he returns?....and I sure hope he does as he was said to be the team's best shooter last season. How BBV is going to earn minutes is a mystery but his time and focus may be in future seasons as he is likely not needed to do anything this year but get healthy. Hutch would provide yet another athletic scorer....giving BU 10 guys that can be offensive contributors and hungry to get on the train. Not a ton of minutes left as you need Ayo, Kofi, and Miller as much as possible...but I would be confident with any of the other 7 on the floor at any time as long as they are all buying in to the big goal of winning it all and being ready to do their part when getting the call. We have waited 15 years for this and it is actually happening once again!! And what a schedule with nothing but big games coming after Friday's semi-test against Ohio which should be interesting.

Doubt it

Teams ease up and use backups in the 2nd half whenever they’re up by 20+(Duh)

So I’m thinking we win by 15-25 pts
We are up 30. We are not going to lose the 2nd half. We win by 40+

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I guarantee the half time talk was "let's hold them under 40".

A couple of my 1st half observations on Kofi. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with his play so far.

Kofi needs to concentrate on his free throws. Could hurt us in a close game. And he needs to recognize when he's double and tripled teamed and pass out to an open player.

Again, I'm not criticizing his play, just a couple of things that will make us a better team.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
what's underwood barking about? I mean really - what was his teaching point there - did anybody hear it?

Nice to see Trent find his stroke. Hope Curbelo tries some shots.

We are up 30. We are not going to lose the 2nd half. We win by 40+

Think about how many times you’ve seen the team that’s losing by 30+ go on a late run when the winning team empties the bench and stops caring...happens all the time. Would a final score of for instance 85-58 really be so unfathomable?

Although with this start to the half it’s looking more and more like we pull away. I wonder by how many until we ease off the gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.