Game Thread: Illinois vs Gonzaga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11196

D
Didn't think they would be able to hang around with the #3 team, but they aren't doing bad, considering that the shooting percentage must be in the single digits... If they ever start to hit some shots we would look a lot better....
One bad part of the game is B.Walton as an announcer - both of them are Horrible...

I usually stay away from the game threads but seriously? People are sitting here and complaining about this team who is hanging around with #3 ???? What!? What exactly were you expecting???
I mean, I expected to be down by 14 at the half, but this is frustrating because if we played just with a marginally greater amount of intelligence, or just a single guy or two clutched a shot instead of bricking, we could very well be up against #3.

Never thought I'd say this, but we have to play through Giorgi more. Inside out action with some ball reversal. Get hot from three. Ya never know.
Giorgi doesn’t play like a freshman and I don’t remember an Illini as tough as he is fighting for position - Archie?

IllFanInMi

I
I don’t think Zags end up #3, but big guy is out.

A+ Game Planning so far
A+ Giorgi play and a little DeLaRosa although still quite limited
A+ Jordan overall defense and keeping players off the offensive glass
C Overall guard play, wild Trent shots, Ayo still pushing too much, Feliz needs to distribute and drive off pinch not open court so much
D Kipper and any other player really.

Overall the team is hanging with #3 in the Nation, Zags have played up and down, that said, the ILLINI especially on the offensive end has been rather well MEH....defensively and frenetic pace is keeping them in somewhat. Have got to keep making free throws and quit throwing the damn back door alley oop when it isn't there to have a chance in the 2nd half. Offense has to heat up and if that happens, well the Zags might get a shock. All higher seeds won today, so this might be our time.

First half thougts:

*This is totally Bill Walton's shtick for the last 5 years... the play-by-play guy always plays the straight man. If find it really annoying and very much in line with the kind of things ESPN seems to love
*Even with that, I actually got most frustrated by the fact that they seem to be impressed that Spokane (a town of 200,000+ on the west coast) is represented so well.... I mean, Chambana only has 120,000+ and is in the middle of the continent!
*This has been a tough game to call, and thankfully the refs have been pretty bad/weird both ways. Still think we're getting the worst of it, but I always think that!
*Within 10 points against the #3 team in the country with our starting PG back after a concussion and tons of youth on the floor..... I'm happy!

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Neg Nellies are up late....that's how they roll.
Guys, people who are critiquing the things that could be done better are not just automatically negative nancies or nellies or whatever. They’re just analyzing the game they’re watching. Stop...

First five minutes we need a quick 5pts from Trent, layup from Ayo, Gorgi something nice off the glass, and an AJ 3 - would love for kipper to get to the line too

Last edited:
Neg Nellies are up late....that's how they roll.
I agree that for us to be in this close of a game with the 3rd ranked team in the nation; having our best players not contributing offensively.... if they play anything close to what they are capable are stand a great chance at an upset tonight.... and Giorgi is a beast.... if he can knock down a couple 3's in the second half the floor is gonna spread wide open in the lane for our guards to drive.... People on this forum are definitely eating crow in regards to Giorgi right now! BU knows who fits his style of play and system.... haters hate on.... lmbo....

I actually find Walton entertaining. But it's kind of unfair to the players that he doesn't take the game seriously enough to analyze and provide commentary on the actual gameplay.

Guys, people who are critiquing the things that could be done better are not just automatically negative nancies or nellies or whatever. They’re just analyzing the game they’re watching. Stop...
just aiming for balance....bad and good in first half. Overall liking what I see.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I got a peek at Walton’s notes over his shoulder.
Here’s his list of topics for the second half.

Hot yoga
More volcano talk
Favorite art
Electric vehicles
Flora and fauna
Bicycles

I'm greatly enjoying this style of play and can't get over Giorgi, but I must say it would have been really nice to have Leron Black on this team

Ryllini

Lombard
We will not get any 50/50 calls in this game.

They look ready to step on our throat, we look ready to fold...need a run right now

Why are we taking so many long 2 pull-ups in transition what awful shots

Status
Not open for further replies.