Game Thread: Illinois vs Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
My hope is that we come out and do to Hawaii what Arizona did to us.
My fear is that this'll be another ugly, ugly win, or even a loss.

We are only a couple of games in but our two bigs do not look comfortable on offense together

Deleted member 380722

D
Our half court offense is shockingly bad

Last edited by a moderator:

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
3rd year of BU and I'm not seeing much improvement...kept hearing about the lack of talent roster wise, well we have talent...it's not being utilized properly and some players without B1G talent are playing ahead of younger players that have the B1G talent but lack experience...opponents can watch 1 game film scouting us and stop the weave or the other non factor's scheme's we run...we are at best with fast break school yard BB...we have few that can get to the rim and FINISH....missed bunnies should be our mascot

I am rooting that Illinois does. They are a young team still figuring it out. Hoping they do. The talents there
That's what I heard last year. They only lost one Senior. When can we dump the young team narrative?

They are playing bad basketball. There's no excuse for the all unforced turnovers, missed layups, missed 5 footers and the continued lack of efficiency.

This is an offense that is guard oriented, but they're trying to play through the center(Kofi) who is offensively limited. Ayo and Frazier don't have nearly enough space on the floor to do what they do best and they don't score much at all in transition (easy buckets). With Kofi on the floor, it becomes a stagnant, half court offense with no room to penetrate.

3rd year of BU and I'm not seeing much improvement...kept hearing about the lack of talent roster wise, well we have talent...it's not being utilized properly and some players without B1G talent are playing ahead of younger players that have the B1G talent but lack experience...opponents can watch 1 game film scouting us and stop the weave or the other non factor's scheme's we run...we are at best with fast break school yard BB...we have few that can get to the rim and FINISH....missed bunnies should be our mascot
I’d like to think the Illini are a little rusty from the lay-off. I hope.☺️

Deleted member 592416

D
The latter I wholeheartedly agree with. The former has been better (not good, but better).
And what is so disheartening is the complete lack of progress. And coaches not able to TEACH. I know at this stage of life you should just have to coach them, but these guys look like they have never been taught some basic tenets of the game.

After years of sucking, it took Illinois six years under Henson to make the NCAA. Steady improvement every year. An NIT bid in year 5 that was so welcomed they had a song about it.

I don’t understand the ledge jumping here. I see lots of little things they need to get better at. But I also see hustle and occasionally solid play.

winning culture after years of losing does not always just happen overnight.

2 guards, 2 wings, and a big or 2 guards, 1 wing, and 2 bigs.
These three guards on the same floor is an offensive trainwreck.

And for those who are ready to bash BU....I counted 5 gimmes that they blew. You can lead the horse to water, but.....

Good half for Kipper (low bar). Kofi was actually great other than the complete lack of touch. But all paled in comparison to the constant turnovers by the guards.

Remember when Bo Ryan would insta-bench guys for turnovers. Brad should do that for a couple games.

Deleted member 380722

D
The only time we score is in transition, and that's only of we don't turn it over first. Our half court offense is shockingly bad.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I’d like to think the Illini are a little rusty from the lay-off. I hope.☺

the layoff has to factor in somewhat, but I don't see the fire that this team needs to play with to be a tourney team...the only game we have played this year with a full game fire was the GCU game with 41 first half pts and 42 second half pts...will we see another slow 2nd half start...hope not..

Status
Not open for further replies.