Game Thread: Illinois vs Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKane

Tennessee
The program doesn't have talent, coaching, or tradition.

I expect Lovie and the staff will be back though. Whitman has too much invested in this somehow turning around to take action at this point.

Anyone who thinks Lovie isn't here for at least one more year is fooling themselves. I'm not saying I don't want to fire him, but Josh isn't looking at this dumpster fire as short term rebuild and the payoff is way too much.

Then Josh and Lovie should be a package deal. If a miracle happens and we win 7+ games next year they both stay. If we have another 3-5 win year, buh bye guys.

I agree the Lovie experiment is a bust.
It is, but whatever I say should be taken with a grain of salt. I was upset when they fired Zook. I thought his energy worked well here. 2 straight bowl wins, I know he faded at the end, but at least we were in a bowl and not the toilet bowl.

AeroEng88

Detroit, MI
The program doesn't have talent, coaching, or tradition.

I expect Lovie and the staff will be back though. Whitman has too much invested in this somehow turning around to take action at this point.
As a "shareholder" in this business that is Illinois football I don't think it is unreasonable to expect he CEO (AD) to address performance issues and articulate his plan for the future.

SKane

Tennessee
Generally an AD gets to hire two football coaches before the AD is fired.

It's not a law, just how things usually work.

Then Josh and Lovie should be a package deal. If a miracle happens and we win 7+ games next year they both stay. If we have another 3-5 win year, buh bye guys.
Assuming Lovie continues to fail, you don't can Whitman over that alone. He's done a lot for the other programs. We'll see how Basketball looks in year 2 over the next few months as well. I think he gets 2 coaches in each revenue sport if need be.

I was so encouraged by the Smith hire. I gave too much weight to the "pro coach" supposed cachet. It just is not working and it has to end.
I would say we must avoid the Lou Tepper Syndrome of waiting too long to cut bait so as to avoid a rock bottom level re recruiting, but how far above rock bottom is this program?

Someone convince me that I am wrong, please.

Deleted member 4333

D
I don't know how Lovie can sleep at night. He has to throw in towel, since his team already has.

I don’t blame Whitman for Lovie’s failure, seemed like a good hire at the time, it’s how he handles the exit, if Lovie hangs on too long, then he can write the program off for good

Status
Not open for further replies.