Game Thread: Illinois vs Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Giorgi still in his funk missed a couple of bunnies

Yeah, it’s a serious funk...he used to be like a wizard near the rim...now he’s more like the Wizards basketball team. Sorry, I live in the DC area now...can’t resist the swipe.

We've played about as poorly as I figured we would. This team is absolutely schizophrenic at home. The guards don't take care of the ball, the bigs can't score in the paint(actually they really never can), they breakdown defensively.....

Why they can't harness their road mentality and play with it at home is beyond me. Besides the home game vs Purdue, can anyone think of a home game where we put two good halves together?

It's frustrating, but the name of the game is win I guess.

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
That’s the longest shot I can remember seeing an Illini player making. Too young to see Starnes as that was long before my time but remember reading about it in a Loren Tate column
Do tell. That was waaaaay before my time. Did he drain one at Huff while standing on University Ave?

Do we really lose a tie-breaker to Wisconsin for BTT seeding? That seems strange considering we beat them head to head.

Giorgi still in his funk missed a couple of bunnies
I think that GB is probably a lost cause for THIS year. He's in his own head now. He's not making good decisions on either end.

He looks uncomfortable, he looks a step slow and he looks like he's playing not to make a mistake. That's a confidence issue.

He needs a reboot, which will probably be in the off-season.

We've played about as poorly as I figured we would. This team is absolutely schizophrenic at home. The guards don't take care of the ball, the bigs can't score in the paint(actually they really never can), they breakdown defensively.....

Why they can't harness their road mentality and play with it at home is beyond me. Besides the home game vs Purdue, can anyone think of a home game where we put two good halves together?

It's frustrating, but the name of the game is win I guess.
They play way better with the bad guy attitude.
Ayo embraces the boos.

I would like to see AF come off the bench he gives us a real spark, seems like starting some of his aggressiveness is not there

I think that GB is probably a lost cause for THIS year. He's in his own head now. He's not making good decisions on either end.

He looks uncomfortable, he looks a step slow and he looks like he's playing not to make a mistake. That's a confidence issue.

He needs a reboot, which will probably be in the off-season.
At this point I would agree. But he is simply throwing the ball it the rim and not shooting it. He is releasing it while going up which puts him completely out of rhythm resulting in short arming. I would imagine he is shooting many in practice but it is not transferring to in game results as defenders get him rushing. Its all about confidence and it is lost right now.

I would like to see AG in the with usual starting 5 (minus GB) and let Dre lead the second unit again. I think the spacing would be better. Also it would let Dre be Dre more. And GB really knows how to screen out lanes for him to get to the rim.

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
Do we really lose a tie-breaker to Wisconsin for BTT seeding? That seems strange considering we beat them head to head.
That is indeed odd. Is it because they have same or better records against the teams ahead of us: better v. MD (W) and MSU (W/L); same v. PSU (W) and Iowa (L)?

I think our 4 guard starting lineup has looked fantastic. It's figuring out the cadence once substitutions start happening that seems to really throw the offense rhythm completely out of wack.

Looks like this game may go to the wire. Nebraska plays like last year's Illini with no quit and drives hard to the rim putting a lot of pressure on the defense. Interior defenders need to be focused and every possession needs to be a good onel

I’m sorry I’m ranting but this is really a sloppy game.. we struggle at home big time on offense.. our big men miss way too many easy buckets. We haven’t made free throws.. our offense does not move well.. kofi can’t catch...

Looks like this game may go to the wire. Nebraska plays like last year's Illini with no quit and drives hard to the rim putting a lot of pressure on the defense. Interior defenders need to be focused and every possession needs to be a good onel
There’s 18 minutes left and we’ve missed a ton of open shots. Illini by 14+

Status
Not open for further replies.