Game Thread: Illinois vs New Mexico State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4960

D
You could tell both times alstork was going to get beat on the baseline.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
In the first half, BU couldn't find five guys who really want to play tonight. Hope that changes in the second.

Deleted member 29907

D
This isn't a case of NMSU just shooting out of their minds and going on a lucky run.

They are faster, more athletic, and more aggressive than us.

NMSU will win this game. This first half wasn't some lucky fluke. They're attacking us at will.

Give up pretty quickly don't you? I am guessing you left the MD game at 2 mins in.

Deleted member 236589

D
While I don't disagree with much of what you said (outside of NM winning this game, I'm hoping we see a Maryland second half) have you posted one thing this season positive about this team?

It's exactly what we all knew it was going to be, a total roller coaster. Lou put it best the other day in his press conference, you can't just push a button and import your system.

Meh.....we're 12 games in now. This type of performance versus this level of competition should not be occurring.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
This team is not as bad as some are making them out to be. We could have (should have) beat MD and NW. NMSU is a very good team, too. They were 9-2 going into this game and they can play with almost anyone. Hope we get it together and play inspired in the second half because we really need this one.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 631370

D
Give up pretty quickly don't you? I am guessing you left the MD game at 2 mins in.

Stating that they're faster, more athletic, and more aggressive isn't "giving up". Predicting that they're going to win -- given that they're up 12 -- isn't "giving up".

It's an observation. Calm down.

I'll be watching the whole game, rooting like hell for a comeback, just like everybody else.

Have company so I haven't seen the game just the score. We need players and not just schemes. We have a very good freshmen class but need to add overwhelming talent to win big boy games consistently.

Frazier, Williams, Jordan, Finke, Black to start with Kipper and alstork first off for 2nd half

Mark Smith seems to hang his head and wonder what is going on a lot of the time, this game included. The kid competes, wants to win and do better? Not sure why an elite athlete like him would act this way so much?

Deleted member 631370

D
This team is not as bad as some are making them out to be. We could have (should have) beat MD and NW. NMSU is a very good team, too. They were 9-2 going into this game and they can play with almost anyone. Hope we get it together and play inspired in the second half because we really need this one.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Yep.....NMSU is a very good opponent. I'm not upset because we're losing to a bad team, because that's not the case. I'm more disappointed with how utterly flat and lackadaisical we look.

We cannot afford to take an entire half off like this. We just don't have the experience and the fire power to routinely come back and win games against quality opponents -- especially away from Champaign.

Deleted member 29907

D
Stating that they're faster, more athletic, and more aggressive isn't "giving up". Predicting that they're going to win -- given that they're up 12 -- isn't "giving up".

It's an observation. Calm down.

I'll be watching the whole game, rooting like hell for a comeback, just like everybody else.

I am perfectly calm. Its just that calling it a loss this early sounds like giving up to me, thats all.

Deleted member 631370

D
I am perfectly call. Its just that calling it a loss this early sounds like giving up to me, thats all.

Well, it's just a prediction based on how both teams are playing. I sure hope I'm wrong. I was pretty nervous coming into this game, so i'm not particularly surprised that we're behind. Behind like this? Yes. But behind? Not really.

Meh.....we're 12 games in now. This type of performance versus this level of competition should not be occurring.

NMSU is currently 8-2, I know they're not some incredible team but give it time. 12 games in just really isn't that long. OSU started conference last year 0-6, and yes, I know we don't have an Evans type of player, but they did when they started 0-6.

Underwood will get this figured out.

It’s not going to get any easier next Saturday. Really big Tiger team with a parameter game....got to figure it out.

NMSU has a better chance to make the NCAA tourney than the Illini. They historically have a solid program since the Lou days, though admittedly it is tough to recruit to Las Cruces....it is the hell hole of the world IMHO. Very depressing place. We competed there every year and I dreaded the trip.

This NMSU team looks to be fairly skilled, understands the game, is confident, and plays hard. Outside the top 10 teams, they could play with anyone. If I were a Purdue or MSU, I would not like playing them in the tourney.

Let's just see if the Illini can turn up the defensive pressure and wear them down. That will not matter if the shooting does not improve however.

Deleted member 236589

D
You can insert Coach K in there right now, and it doesn't change the matter of what's occurring.

We need to give NMSU credit. They are a pretty good team and they are attacking tenaciously. We, on the other hand, cannot defend in the paint. We are turnover prone. And we are very poor beyond the arc. All of that is coming to a head at once.

NMSU is probably better than us. And they're playing far more aggressively tonight. Just stating the obvious at this point in time.

You're rationalizing. NMSU is not a good team.

Deleted member 631370

D
NMSU is currently 8-2, I know they're not some incredible team but give it time. 12 games in just really isn't that long. OSU started conference last year 0-6, and yes, I know we don't have an Evans type of player, but they did when they started 0-6.

I think he will, too.

My concern is that when we do get it figured out, our November/December is going to doom us. Oklahoma State had wins over UConn, Georgetown, and Wichita State in the OOC last season. We have......DePaul.

Really, really need this game tonight.

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
This season was largely predicated on Alstork bringing his 18 ppg capabilities to Illinois. Man, that didn't happen. And now, we're in trouble.

Anyone that truly believed that Alstork, coming in from Wright State, would average 18ppg wasn't drinking Orange Kool-Aid....they were smoking some really strong "stuff".

This season was always going to go, pretty much, how it has gone thus far.

Deleted member 652352

D
We'll make this thing close. It already looks like we've come out with more energy.

Deleted member 236589

D

I think he has it figured out, he just doesn't have the tools to fix the problem. They have to overcompensate so badly for the lack of interior play, that it short circuits everything he wants to do on both sides of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.