Game Thread: Illinois vs Purdue

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINT

Kewanee, IL
Does anyone know where I could buy some of these throwback shorts?

Really fun half of basketball, flying up and down the floor. Expect a run in the 2nd half, don't panic, withstand it, and put this away!

Somewhat random question...does anyone know who that person is that sits across from the Illini bench at every home game? They always have an orange #1 Illini jersey and a hat and acts like they're one of the assistant coaches. If nobody knows that's fine, I'm just genuinely curious.

She’s the person who drives everyone crazy

Pushing the tempo a lot more tonight. Getting stops helps. Also making the most of offensive rebounds.

Lotta nice stuff for the highlight reel in this one, but my favorite moment was Kofi passing out of the double team to Trent for the three in perfect rhythm.

Deleted member 29907

D
Much better ball movement tonight and actually liked it when we got back into our pinch post set. Of course, like last year, we missed some open cutters, but it did keep players moving.

When you make your 3s, the game seems really simple.

Why can't we play like that all the time?
I do not think they played particularly on the plus side of what I expect. Purdue did however. I expect Illini teams to play extra hard on the defensive end and hit 45% of their shots. This team has the athletes to do the defense but not the skills to hit shots with any expected consistency. This should be the norm for the align I was half their games at a higher level. Purdue really isn’t very good this year.

Aggressive, eager, much quicker with the ball in sets, Kofi is finally looking as if he wants to abuse some defensive players, Trent looks to be heating up, Ayo is playing within the framework of offense, the supporting staff is doing well (Griffin/Feliz), Jones is well limited, Giorgi is well fouling, Kipper is starting to show some athletic ability without seemingly thinking about what he needs to do, this would bode well for us...yes I know this is a run on, cause I hope we keep the run on!

Deleted member 29907

D
On another bright note, NU looks like a high school team.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
First 5 minutes of the second half are crucial....no kidding Mr. Obvious

Miles was a better coach than announcer, sorry Tim, Les would be more...

The defensive energy and physicality is what this teams identity should be. Trent playing with assertiveness is great - Kofi trying to tear the rim down is a big yaaaaaaas. This is not a finesse team (other than Giorgi) so I like seeing them play to their strengths. The O started to get stagnant in the last five minutes of the half, more like they were looking to burn clock vs looking to score but hard to disagree with a 13 pt lead.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Well, I was totally disillusioned following the MSU game. They made us look like a D3 school. Here's my take on the first half:

* Our defense finally looks like Lou's old "D". Lots of hustle and pressure on the ball
* Lots of good balance on offense. Alan G. needs to play more. We need his consistency from 3-range.
* Purdue played a horrible first half. I've yet to watch them play this season prior to tonight, but I have to assume they're going to shoot better in the 2nd half
* I think we'd be down 8-10 if playing MSU tonight

Well, I was totally disillusioned following the MSU game. They made us look like a D3 school. Here's my take on the first half:

* Our defense finally looks like Lou's old "D". Lots of hustle and pressure on the ball
* Lots of good balance on offense. Alan G. needs to play more. We need his consistency from 3-range.
* Purdue played a horrible first half. I've yet to watch them play this season prior to tonight, but I have to assume they're going to shoot better in the 2nd half
* I think we'd be down 8-10 if playing MSU tonight
Sparty is schooling the Wolverines. They are good, but more importantly Winston and Tillman are experienced and teaching school. We need to learn and grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.