Game Thread: Illinois vs Xavier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not reading through this thread, but I hope somebody pointed out that we've been lit up by lost recruits in each of these last 3 games in Maui.

Bring on a cupcake, I suppose. God knows we need a win.

Deleted member 626650

D
No excuse. I just don't understand the expectations of some of you guys here. It's 8 new guys, an undersized team and every team in this tourney is more experienced, and more athletic. If our Illini aren't completely cued in, which is a lot to ask for a sophomore/frosh team, this is what will happen for most of the season.

Once again, on the coach. Don't run off/have so many players transfer last year. Recruit players fewer players who are projects. Get the kids to be mentally involved. Run a competent defense. All things that are in a coach's control.

Deleted member 746094

D
It pains me to say this, but we are lacking the athletes to win at this level. Scheme or no scheme, our best athlete(Tevian) looks like our competition’s 2-4 guys and they have 3 to 4 of those type of guys on the court the entire game.

We have some pieces, but putting the scores and outcomes aside this week. We are 2 inches shorter and 2 steps slower than our competition. Without an influx of 6’5 to 6’8 athletes I fear many of you BU naysayers are correct. We just don’t appear to have the horses. Ugh. I feel like a trader, but it’s my true observation after getting handled by a team that isn’t very good.

I'm just curious, what do you expect fans of a program watching this to be saying right now?
I expect them to say that there are some really good pieces in place. There is finally some hope that things are going in the right direction. I think this is the first time I've ever posted. I remember years ago a UNC fan used to troll this site under a few usernames. The posters here are worse than he was.

Once again, on the coach. Don't run off/have so many players transfer last year. Recruit players fewer players who are projects. Get the kids to be mentally involved. Run a competent defense. All things that are in a coach's control.

Lol don't run off players? You don't get hired and then change your coaching style. You're hired because of your coaching style.

You can only recruit people who want to be here. You need to win first, and that's going take a few years.

So much instant gratification entitlement on this board...

Deleted member 236589

D
This. This is what I am talking about. Young team playing tough competition for the 3rd game in a row. I have been very encouraged. I have been very frustrated. But you can see glimpses and that is what I am watching for.
Encouraged by what? Glimpses of what?

I'd like to know what you've seen these three days that will make anyone believe this team is heading in the right direction. I'm being sincere.

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
It is so hard to wear UI gear right now.

Yes, traveling in airport for the holidays at o’hare and seeing so much ND and NU. Not seeing any Illinois.

Sitting with my wife’s family, including many alumni and no one was even interested in the game. And for the first time I didn’t even lobby for it.

Sad times.

Deleted member 626650

D
Lol don't run off players? You don't get hired and then change your coaching style. You're hired because of your coaching style.

You can only recruit people who want to be here. You need to win first, and that's going take a few years.

That coaching style didn't work here last year. Isn't working this year, and didnt work particularly well at OKST. The only place it's really worked for him was at SFA.

IllFanInMi

I

It’s great you are so diplomatic, but your sentiment is likely very much an exception

Status
Not open for further replies.