General Soccer Discussion

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
It looks like Manchester City must have bribed the powers-that-be to get 3 Europa League level opponents.

Captain Trips-ville, Planet Houston
What, no USMNT discussion? Boy, they really stunk up the joint yesterday.

Baja Ontario
I recorded it to watch tomorrow, but my enthusiasm has now been dampened.

Chicago Fire have sold controlling ownership to Joe Mansueto, the executive chairman of Morningstar, a leading investment research firm based in Chicago. Mansueto had previously purchased a 49% stake in the team in July 2018. The team has also reached a deal with MLS that will see them move from SeatGeek Stadium in suburban Bridgeview back to Soldier Field, where they have signed a three-year lease which starts in 2020. The club is also working on getting a new soccer-specific stadium built in downtown Chicago.

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
UEFA Champions League group play is back. There are some decent matches today / tomorrow.

Chicago
UEFA Champions League group play is back. There are some decent matches today / tomorrow.
today's biggest matches:
dortmund v barcelona
napoli v liverpool

tomorrow:
atletico v juventus
psg v real madrid

CONCACAF president says the confederation may have to alter their qualifying schedule for the 2022 World Cup as they still want to complete the final stages of the Nations League and qualifying for the 2021 Gold Cup as well as Olympic qualifying. Where this leads to a problem is that many of those matches will have to be played in international break windows that would have previously been used for friendlies that would have aided in improving FIFA rankings. This is especially the case in the 6th and 7th place spots in the Confederation which are currently held by El Salvador and Canada with El Salvador currently having the advantage that would have them playing in the hex rather than the tournament with the remaining CONCACAF sides.

Mexican federation president today said El Tri will play no games in the U.S. until fans are allowed back in the stands. El Tri were originally scheduled to play the Czech Republic and Greece in March and Colombia in June but all those matches have been cancelled.