General Soccer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. and Honduras draw 1:1 as the Americans escape San Pedro Sula with a point. Result actually hurts Honduras more than it does the Americans as Honduras' last two matches are at Costa Rica and hosting Mexico.

Huge point. A bit fortunate but keeps them alive. Depending on what happens tonight, those games for Honduras could be against B teams since Mexico and Costa Rica should be already qualified. Must win at home vs panama and get at least a point at T&T. Regardless the USA has made this much more difficult than needed and finishing with less than 15 points is embarrassing

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
So we play against Panama in Orlando in October. Why not Chicago or somewhere cooler, where it may give us an advantage? Or do they want to have like climates for when we go to TNT afterwards?

So we play against Panama in Orlando in October. Why not Chicago or somewhere cooler, where it may give us an advantage? Or do they want to have like climates for when we go to TNT afterwards?

I agree they should play in Green Bay, Chicago or even Foxborough. I think you are right though they want their bodies right for the TNT game. US controls their own fate, win out and they are through to Russia. If they are in 4th place they will play Australia or Syria.

wettsten

Chicago

could be scheduling difficulties with american football in full swing.

could be scheduling difficulties with american football in full swing.

Exactly. Plus that Orlando City stadium is a perfect setting for a match like this anyway. And I would think there's less of a chance of a large Panamanian crowd the way there was such a large Costa Rican crowd at Red Bull Arena last Friday.

wettsten

Chicago
Acosta made that goal happen with his near sublime free kick. His FK ability is VVG.

Honduras let the goal happen with their inability to clear the ball. the keeper had to make a dazzling save on the free kick but he was up and ready when Wood finally poked it in. it was a nice free kick but i'd give more credit to Besler and Morris for keeping it alive.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Tottenham get a huge 3-1 win over Dortmund in their opening Champions League match. This is a big step in putting the "Wembley Curse" out of their minds. With Real Madrid in the group, the fight is most likely for 2nd place.

Story came out last week that for the upcoming World Cup draw will be done using straight seeds for the draw. While they'll still follow the avoid teams from your own confederation rule, it could make things with the draw pretty chaotic.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
In yesterday's Champions League action, Tottenham dispatched Apoel 3-0 behind a Harry Kane hat trick. Spurs are now joint top of Group H with Real Madrid, as both teams now have 3-1 wins over Dortmund and 3-0 wins over Apoel.

Fabian Johnson left off roster for final 2 WC qualifiers that will take place next weekend. Both Benny Feilhaber and Juan Agueldo included on the roster. Here's how the full roster looks:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Michael Orozco (Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jorge Villafana (Santos Laguna), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

Qualify then fire Arena. That's what I'm hoping for.

The best thing Arena could achieve at the World Cup is barely reaching the round of 16 out of an easy group, then losing 2-0 in the round of 16.

Argentina is dangerously close to not qualifying. I love underdog stories, but not this one. The World Cup wouldn't be the same without Messi. Hopefully Argentina can pull it out. The final South American qualifiers are next Tuesday, 3 points gets them at least in the playoff against New Zealand which is pretty much an automatic win.

Argentina is dangerously close to not qualifying. I love underdog stories, but not this one. The World Cup wouldn't be the same without Messi. Hopefully Argentina can pull it out. The final South American qualifiers are next Tuesday, 3 points gets them at least in the playoff against New Zealand which is pretty much an automatic win.

Here's how much of a clusterbuck CONMEBOL is right now:

Here are the results from today:

Bolivia draws with Brazil.
Peru holds Argentina to a scoreless draw at Argentina, which goes a long way as mentioned before to keeping Argentina possibly out altogether.
Venezuela holds Uruguay to a scoreless draw to prevent them from qualifying automatically tonight.
Colombia was moments away from qualification with a 1:0 lead until Paraguay scored twice at 89' and 90+2', which keeps Paraguay within reach of the playoff.
Chile 2:1 over Ecuador.

So here's the table heading into the final matchday on Tuesday:

DLazOC0W0AAMtM1.jpg

The final matchday looks like this:

Brazil vs. Chile
Ecuador vs. Argentina
Paraguay vs. Venezuela
Peru vs. Colombia
Uruguay vs. Bolivia

Here are the qualifying odds heading into Tuesday:

DLawOkMV4AAEEbW.jpg

Germany and England have clinched their spots in Russia today. England got in with the help of Scotland's 1:0 win over Slovakia. Germany defeated Northern Ireland 1:3 to clinch their spot.

Can't ask for a much better start from the U.S. tonight. Pulisic scored in the 8th minute. Altidore scored in the 19th minute.

Anything short of 3 points tonight for the U.S. will be a disappointment.

I'm surprised the odds are so low with Argentina. If they win, they're in. I'm expecting them to play up to their potential with their backs against the wall. And I'm considering the playoff as "in" because New Zealand won't give them any problems.

Great game from Pulisic and the USA. Exactly what they needed. I think the momentum will carry over into an easy win on Tuesday as well.

Costa Rica draws 1:1 at home vs. Honduras as Kendall Waston scores in stoppage time in the 2nd half (90'+5') for the Ticos. The draw clinches a spot in Russia for Costa Rica.

That result is about the best that the U.S. could have gotten as the U.S. only needs a draw on Tuesday to qualify through. U.S. currently has a +7 GD on Panama and +12 GD on Honduras. Both Honduras and Panama host qualified sides for their final group stage match as Honduras will host Mexico and Panama will host Costa Rica.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Needless to say, huge match tomorrow. We need to take care of business and I expect we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.