General Soccer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Assuming the USMNT hire Earnie Stewart as the GM, who do you think he will hire as the next manager?

Can we get Joachim Low??? LOL

Not sure who he'll go after. That will be interesting to see. Do we go with a retread foreign manager that becomes available after the World Cup? Or do we go American with someone like Berhalter? I hope we don't go down the Bradley path again.

David Wagner would be interesting, but I don't see him leaving a club position.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
It’s certainly the safe hire, which makes it really frustrating that it didn’t happen over a year ago. They wasted a lot of valuable time for nothing.

I'm less than thrilled with the hire. Staying domestic and pulling someone from the MLS is not what is needed. When you have someone like Julen Lopetegui say he's interested and then end up with Berhalter, it's a bit of a let down.

Last edited:

Neale Stoner Fan Club

Tailgreat
Chiraq
I woulda gone after Juan Carlos Osorio. Not really a fan of Berhalter but if he can get this young team moving in the right direction, fine by me.

USWNT to host a friendly at Busch Stadium: https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/tickets/events/soccer?partnerId=ed-13298837-1110927933

The match will take place on Thursday May 16, 2019. It will be part of the USWNT's Countdown to the Cup, a series of matches that will serve as a send-off prior to the team heading to France for next summer's World Cup. The match will be the next to last match before they head overseas. The opponent has yet to be determined.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Not a Crew fan, but very good news that the club is staying in Columbus. Would have been a terrible for MLS to allow ownership to pull up stakes in a city that has supported the team so well.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Tottenham got the 1-1 draw today against Barcelona at Camp Nou to secure their spot in the knockout stage of the UEFA Champions League.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Tottenham got the 1-1 draw today against Barcelona at Camp Nou to secure their spot in the knockout stage of the UEFA Champions League.

Good for Spurs, but Barca wasn't exactly fielding their A team.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Good for Spurs, but Barca wasn't exactly fielding their A team.

It's not like they were fielding a group of academy players. Coutinho played the whole game. Rakitic, Dembele, Denis Suarez and Busquets all played. Messi played the last 30 minutes + stoppage and did nothing.

And, Spurs were down to their 3rd string RB who'd never played meaningful minutes in any game. His mistake led to Barca's loan goal through Osmane Dembele.

Neale Stoner Fan Club

Tailgreat
Chiraq
It's not like they were fielding a group of academy players. Coutinho played the whole game. Rakitic, Dembele, Denis Suarez and Busquets all played. Messi played the last 30 minutes + stoppage and did nothing.

And, Spurs were down to their 3rd string RB who'd never played meaningful minutes in any game. His mistake led to Barca's loan goal through Osmane Dembele.
When does Tottenham make a DVD of this match? :rolleyes:

As one of the seemingly few Americans that prefers the Bundesliga over the Premier League and cheers for Dortmund ... soccer has been great lately! Going to really try to watch BVB this Saturday if I can figure out how to get the game online.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Champions League Round of 16:
Schalke (GER) v Manchester City (ENG)
Atlético Madrid (ESP) v Juventus (ITA)
Manchester United (ENG) v Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) v Borussia Dortmund (GER)
Lyon (FRA) v Barcelona (ESP)
Roma (ITA) v Porto (POR)
Ajax (NED) v Real Madrid (ESP)
Liverpool (ENG) v Bayern München (GER)

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Idiot Arsenal fan throws a bottle from the stands and hits Dele in the head. He then reminded them what the score was. Spurs take the League Cup match at the Emirates and move on to the semi-final.

DuzymgYWoAYNzo-.jpg

All of the matches in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, which begins the first week of January, will be streamed here in the U.S. online through ESPN+: http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/12/...ngle-fa-cup-third-round-match-historic-first/

This is big news as when Fox previously had the rights they'd only be able to carry 10 of the 32 matches. Granted the reason they carried so few was because the FA would only produce those 10 and the lower level teams that hosted matches are more reliant on ticket sales and less on TV revenue than the Premier League sides.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
USA v Panama @ 7 pm CST on ESPN2. Berhalter's debut and a lot of new blood. Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.