General Soccer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wettsten

Chicago
Of the last 8 teams still alive in the UEFA Champions League, 1/2 are from the EPL (Liverpool, Man City, Man U, Spurs).

good year for english soccer! ...so far...

other four are Barcelona, Juventus, Ajax, and Porto

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Juventus knocked out Spurs last year. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch. Draw is tomorrow morning.

It would be nice for the EPL if all 4 matchups were vs the other leagues but almost assured of at least one matchup. I am guessing United vs City. Everyone will be hoping for a draw of Porto.

Good draw for Liverpool. They hammered Porto last year. Juventus Ajax should be fun. City and Barca will roll Spurs and United. Tough draw as those teams would have had a chance vs any of the other 4 sides. The Nou Camp and Eithad will be too much to overcome.

Chelsea looks like they have a stroll to the Europa league final. Arsenal got a terrible draw and also had to have its home match flipped so they play away second.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Chelski with a major gift. Gunners not so much. Oh well.

Great draw for the Reds.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The Fire [insert joke, here] add a sorely needed #10, Nicholas Gaitan. This guy is no joke. At all.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Yesterday's Citeh vs Spurs game was one of the best UCL games in the last decade. 4 goals in the first 11 minutes was insane. When the stoppage time goal went in, my heart sank. But, VAR correctly ruled Aguero offside and Spurs are on to the semi-finals based on away goals.

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
Messi is clearly the best player in the world. Man did he have a beautiful free kick yesterday.

Palace fan here, but holy $#!&. That game was unbelievable, congrats to any Liverpool fans I can't imagine how nervous you were I was sweating.
Final 10 +5 were up and pacing. Until Origi's second, I was proud that we were, indeed, "failing beautifully".

“We want to celebrate the Champions League campaign, either with a proper finish or another goal. That is the plan: just try. If we can do it, wonderful. If not, then fail in the most beautiful way." Jurgen Klopp before the game

The 4th goal was nuts. I've seen teams try a quick corner before, but that's the first time I've ever seen it actually work. I don't think Origi was even looking when Alexander-Arnold kicked it. Amazing.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Tottenham is on to face Liverpool in the Champions League final. After going down 1-0 to Ajax last week, Spurs allowed Ajax to jump out to a 2-0 lead (0-3 aggregate) before halftime yesterday. Lucas Moura scored in the 55th and 59th minutes and then capped off his 2nd half hat trick in the 90+6th minute to send Spurs through on away goals.

Last edited:

wettsten

Chicago
for the first time ever we have two european finals with all four clubs from the same league!

for the first time ever we have two european finals with all four clubs from the same league!

And if Arsenal wins the Europa League, then they become the 5th Premier League team in the Champions League for next season. Still happens even if Manchester United somehow finishes ahead of them in the table after Sunday.

wettsten

Chicago
+infinity

Hopefully, Arsenal will address their defensive deficiencies during the offseason. Funded by selling Ozil and HM. Gotta hang on to Lacazette too (or find an as good replacement).

should be a fun transfer window. too bad chelsea doesn't get to take part.

Status
Not open for further replies.