General Soccer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nashville SC has been withdrawn from the MLS is Back Tournament. As a result, the league reconfigured the tournament to consist of six groups with 4 teams with the Chicago Fire moving to Group B with Seattle Sounders, Vancouver Whitecaps, and San Jose Earthquakes.

Chicago Fire's first match will now be Tuesday at 8:00 AM CT vs. Seattle Sounders.

Jack Charlton, who was part of England's only World Cup winning side in 1966, has passed away at the age of 85 from lymphoma and dementia. He was also Ireland's manager when they made their first ever appearances in the European Championships (1988) and the World Cup (1990). The Ireland team in 1990 made it to the quarterfinals before losing to the host Italians.

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
Four games per day over 11 hours will be played during the group stage at the 2022 World Cup: https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...ed-as-fifa-announce-four-games-a-day-in-qatar

The games would kickoff starting at 1 PM local time (which would be roughly 3 AM CT) with the final match of the day being played at 10 PM local time (which would be Noon CT, though I may be off on the times on both).
8 hour time difference so 13:00 Qatar is 05:00 Chicago per these guys
https://www.travelmath.com/time-change/from/Doha,+Qatar/to/Chicago,+IL

St. Louis MLS team among 3 expansion teams who will have their start date moved back a year because of covid issues: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...tent=f9eaa91236962cd453f6cc587e8ba41779510bf9

Charlotte is moving back from 2021 to 2022. St. Louis and Sacramento are moving back from 2022 to 2023. Austin is still on schedule to start in 2021 and will not move back in part because their announcement as an expansion team came so much earlier than the others and are thus further along in some of the necessary objectives.

IlliniSaluki

IL metro east burbs of St. Louis
I'm glad they are moving STL, Charlotte and Sac back a year. I'd rather they have the time to get their stadium, organization and any other stuff needed to get done in a timely manner rather than being rushed and possibly playing at temporary homes to start.

I'm glad they are moving STL, Charlotte and Sac back a year.

Of those 3, Charlotte is moving into a stadium that's already active. They're gonna play at Bank of America Stadium where the Carolina Panthers play at. They're only planning on using the lower bowl and club sections of the stadium which would give them about 40,000 seats to use.

IlliniSaluki

IL metro east burbs of St. Louis
Of those 3, Charlotte is moving into a stadium that's already active. They're gonna play at Bank of America Stadium where the Carolina Panthers play at. They're only planning on using the lower bowl and club sections of the stadium which would give them about 40,000 seats to use.

ahh didn't know they weren't getting their own stadium.. but I guess this still gives them more time to get the organization itself built up and maybe sign some players (outside of drafts), coaches and staff.

With LAFC-Portland ending in a 2:2 draw, our knockout stage bracket in the MLS is Back Tournament is now set. Here's how it looks:

Philadelphia Union vs. New England Revolution
Sporting Kansas City vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
San Jose Earthquakes vs. Real Salt Lake
Columbus Crew vs. Minnesota United
Orlando City vs. Montreal Impact
Seattle Sounders vs. LAFC
Toronto FC vs. NYCFC
Portland Timbers vs. FC Cincinnati

Round of 16 begins Saturday night wtih Orlando City-Montreal Impact and Philadelphia Union-New England Revolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.