Georgetown 88, Illinois 80 POSTGAME

I only have to watch when a 6’10 defender pokes the ball away from your stat sheet stuffer and he proceeds to walk after it and allows Mac to add to his YouTube channel. Then he is one of the first players I have seen to try and take a charge on a jumper from the free throw line for a three point play. I expect what I saw from Tevian as a freshman. Kipper’s effort and mental mistakes at the end of a close game is what I wouldn’t expect from a R-JR that is supposedly a leader. I could be wrong, but I will bet there is enough young talent on this team that if Kipper’s effort and consistency don’t improve he will move down the lineup. We talk about BU’s coach speak in the media a lot. I do know that BU won’t put up with piss poor effort no matter who it is.

What about Ayo and Feliz throwing the ball away 8 times? What about AJ doing almost nothing all game? What about BU's defensive system that consistently gives up a high shooting %? Why are we trying to pressure McClung when he can't shoot and burns us on a drive time after time? Why does Kipper have the ball in his hands at the top of the key with the shot clock winding down dribbling aimlessly? Take a timeout?

You can point fingers at a ton of different things. But to point them at 1 guy for 2 bad plays just doesn't seem fair, especially considering he did a lot of good things in this game.

Deleted member 236589

D
Kipper's mistakes were glaring and late in the game, hence the hate. He didn't have a good 2nd half. If he finishes the fast break to take the lead....who knows what happens.
Everything else is what we thought- still are going to give up too many easy baskets and don't have anyone to alter those attempts.
But, man. Lost without our best player, our veterans didn't play well offensively and we shoulda won the game. As bad as the last 4 minutes were, I'm quite encouraged. We may get our butt handed to us by Gonzaga. But we are really fun to watch.
Pretty much spot on.

The disappointing thing to me is that Georgetown really isn’t that good and 2 of our 3 returners that played, Kipper and AJ, just flat out weren’t there. AJ just doesn’t give you anything on the court. Same as last year, same as the year before.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
I actually don't know where Georgetown will end up in the Big East. They've got some pieces. We have a way of making lots of teams look like good shooting teams, but I'd be pretty excited about that backcourt if I'm a Hoya fan.

unfortunately, it's easy to see us starting 2-7, with losses to Gonzaga and then two other teams at Maui, then beating Mississippi Valley at home (they are bad),, then losing 3 in a row to Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Ohio State. That would be our worst start in.... ? Let's hope for some surprises.

Ohio State is a win!

Deleted member 236589

D
I am going to say this with 100% sincerity. I was ticked after that loss, but reading some of these posts is darn right therapeutic! This whole thread has me literally laughing out loud. Great stuff!

Everyone brought their A game tonight!

If Trent plays we win . period. BUT injuries happen so oh well. Ayo is the real deal btw .

Georgetown's white boy guard is the real deal it would seem. I saw his mixtape/high school highlight reel and he really brought it . Kudos to them.

Deleted member 746094

D
What about Ayo and Feliz throwing the ball away 8 times? What about AJ doing almost nothing all game? What about BU's defensive system that consistently gives up a high shooting %? Why are we trying to pressure McClung when he can't shoot and burns us on a drive time after time? Why does Kipper have the ball in his hands at the top of the key with the shot clock winding down dribbling aimlessly? Take a timeout?

You can point fingers at a ton of different things. But to point them at 1 guy for 2 bad plays just doesn't seem fair, especially considering he did a lot of good things in this game.[/

I never once said Kipper lost the game for us. My overarching point is that Kipper has shown the ability to take over games and also just disappear. Unfortunately, great players don’t walk after balls in crucial points of the game and give away 2 points. This was a team loss and there were plenty of mistakes by all. But a blatant lack of effort by one of your veteran leaders in a tight game you need to win is completely unacceptable to me and if this is going to be a constant theme with Kipper maybe BU needs to try alternative motivation for Kipper. Even my 12 year old daughter understands that if she doesn’t give 100% all the time she will sit and watch her teammates that give it their all.

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
I enjoy following this site and the conversations, and have for years, but never post. I graduated 30 years ago this past spring and have learned during the past decade to be patient with hoops. I watch when I can from time to time though I always follow the recaps.

I watched the complete game tonight. First time I've done that in a while. And I enjoyed it. Yes, these guys are young and make mistakes. Watching them is, however, for the first time in years, fun. They'll probably get shredded in conference this year periodically but they have talent and potential. The transition game is exciting for a change and so much more enjoyable to watch than those years of awful half-court sets. They're not as catastrophically weak in the post as I feared. Giorgi has tremendous upside. The guy is a freshman! It's anyone's guess what Adonis can do. Trent wasn't even on the floor tonight. Andres Feliz relentlessly making steals, atoning for his mistakes by forgetting them immediately, and then making a defensive stop or forcing a TO was inspiring. And Ayo? Playing point for the first time in only his second NCAA game? Wow.

They need to learn how to finish. I have no doubt that BU will teach them. He hasn't really even begun to recruit and look at the product on the floor tonight compared with the past several years. If we still had Leron we'd be looking at a completely different situation. If you don't see improvement even among all the mistakes, then I don't believe you're looking intently.

I'd love to get back to the teams of the '80s when I was in school and see those sorts of seasons again (when, come to think of it, we never won the conference and rarely made it deep into the regionals.) We're getting there and we'll be back to the early '00s before you know it. BU is the man for this. Be patient with them and support them. Having a meltdown because Kipper botched some plays at the end of the game isn't going to change anything. You can tell he beats himself up about it. Enjoy all of them. The idiotic mistakes and occasional glimmers of manic brilliance all wrapped together. 'Cause, really, what else are we gonna' do? It's a long game. I like this bunch we have on the floor this year. I sense it will only get better from here.

Two keys to this season:

1) De La Rosa. First game back, still out of rhythm but we are really thin on the frontcourt and need him to be a reliable 15-20 mins guy at C, backing up Giorgi.

2) Tevian Jones. Kipper is not a PF and it shows, but we have no options at PF. He often seems like a player trying to find an identity. So we will be at a disadvantage at PF, therefore we need a taller more athletic SF type to complement Kipper. Tevian is still not comfortable, but the SF position is his IMO if he gains some confidence.

This team is exciting to watch. They compete hard and have a lot of talent! I've seen a lot of losses that just looked like we didn't play hard or well. That wasn't the case tonight. Illinois played hard and aggressive throughout. It did appear that they got a bit tired the last 6 minutes or so. That's where having Trent would have made a huge difference.Georgetown looks like a very good team and they were hitting a lot of shots tonight. Their guards are going to be a handful for other teams in the Big East. I'm excited to watch this team develop!!!

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
It absolutely sucks we lost and yes it could cost us come March (tell me that’s the case right now and I’ll take it) but come on. If you can’t see we’re in a better place and trending up I don’t know what to tell ya. Our best player didn’t play tonight. Effort and atmosphere we’re off the chart.

Just looking at some of the post. So much more fun to watch this team than last years. Heard that a lot last year, too. Playing at home, good crowd, GT is young also, gotta win games like this. Builds confidence or doubt.

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
For some reason, every time they showed the Georgetown coach I would think of Rick Brunson.

Funny stuff. During the game, I mentioned to my girlfriend that I wondered why the announcers hadn't mentioned the coach's son Jalen. She looked at me like "wtf are you talking about?"...Evidently she knew Ewing's son wasn't in this game...

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
Pretending the lack of dunking has nothing to do with athleticism is being intentionally naive. That being said, of course there are other means of showing athleticism. Still felt like Gtown was in another class.

Manute Bol could dunk without jumping....not sure that he was the most athletic guy in the world. Hell, there's a grocery store stocker here in town that is close to 7 feet tall. My son was amazed about his height and asked if he could dunk a basketball. His reply? "Yes, but I never played basketball."...