Gonzaga 84, Illinois 78 POSTGAME

Giorgi B, 4th leading scorer at The Patrick School in 2017, was the best player on the floor against #3 Gonzaga for a stretch of about 6-7 minutes. Can't make this stuff up.

The guy has interesting things to say, but enough is enough, he did a monologue through 3 or 4 straight possessions.
I don't understand a network's willingness to pay to broadcast a game and then do something other than talk about that game in front of the people whose choose to stay with the broadcast. Seems bizarre to me.

Deleted member 653277

D
Yea AJ gave great effort with 10 boards. But the bottom line is he's a starting senior wing that we rely on to make shots. 2-9, 8 points in 36 minutes ain't good enough.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Yea AJ gave great effort with 10 boards. But the bottom line is he's a starting senior wing that we rely on to make shots. 2-9, 8 points in 36 minutes ain't good enough.
However, there is a reason he played 36 minutes. Good thing the things the coaching staff sees and needs from him are different than what "we" see and need from him.

AJ was a true hooper last night. People think of positionless basketball from a purely offensive perspective, but that was positionless basketball all-around. He defended the paint, grabbed boards, helped block passing lanes. People also forget his offensive contribution in the first half when it looked like Gonzaga was about to try to stretch it out early in the game.

It’s the timely basketball plays that routinely don’t get made that drive me crazy. And most come in big spots. Open 3’s at the end of the game, missed front end of 1 and 1 at the end of the game, bad defense whether it’s fair or not, getting beat backdoor, getting swallowed at the rim when he clearly shouldn’t overpenetrate against more athletic players. Love his attitude but the trade off to playing Tevian and Alan exceeds the 10 rebs. I don’t think that’s sustainable, and Alan/Tevian probably give you 10 boards between the 2. Just my opinion.

Now I hope AJ goes out and proves me wrong

This is fair.

AJ was a true hooper last night. People think of positionless basketball from a purely offensive perspective, but that was positionless basketball all-around. He defended the paint, grabbed boards, helped block passing lanes. People also forget his offensive contribution in the first half when it looked like Gonzaga was about to try to stretch it out early in the game.
It seems to me those are valuable assets on the court.☺️

Gonzaga shot 63% from 2 point and we had 27 fouls. Both significant numbers and exceed last year's school record's worst.

I don't understand a network's willingness to pay to broadcast a game and then do something other than talk about that game in front of the people whose choose to stay with the broadcast. Seems bizarre to me.

Maddening! There were several times when they ignored what was going on and we were left to figure out what just happened. Color commentating is fine if not interfering with announcing the game. They were over the line last night.

My key takeaway from the last two games is that despite the losses, this team is clearly headed the right direction.

They are clearly a better team than last year. More athletic with pieces that work together better. They are going to make underclassmen mistakes and that will be maddening. But it’s going to be a better team by the end of the year.

I think the 98-99 team might be a good point of comparison. Sort of the benchmark this group should be aiming for. A bunch of sophomores and freshmen playing a savage schedule who become a really dangerous team by the end of the year and are set up to be big time competitors in the years to follow.

Deleted member 29907

D
I'd guess Underwood saw something in his footwork and motor and thought "I can coach that" rather than looking at his existing production.
The videos we watched last year around the time we recruited him showed very good ball handling for a guy his size and position - so he had the fundamentals as well. Turns out he also has very good instinct for the game and either had it hidden or is a quick and eager learner.

Last night is all for naught if we don't win the next one... so I hope they get over this one quickly and focus - we'll need the rest to contribute.

Why are ppl acting like AJ is the only one who was missing 3s? Outside of he and trent, the team was 2/12. AJ is battling 4s on the glass for nearly the entire second half (if youve played any ball you should know that effort is enough to really tire out the legs) then hit 3s at the end?
Some of you are acting like he's the only person to go 2/6 from 3 against a top team or something

in terms of just regular shooting, ayo was 2/7, feliz 1-5, kip 1/4.....yet its a long procession of AJ getting singled out on shooting.
Not saying AJ played terrible, but as a Senior, he needs to hit those open shots at the end of the game.

Throw out stats, Trent's 3 that he left short for the lead felt way more like a 75% shot than a 40% at the time. The way he was on I will take that look every single time. Wide open. Maybe too open

Yeah, too open. It seems like he thought about it instead of just letting it go.

S
Gonzaga turned the ball over 20+ times and we still couldn't beat them. Trent Fraizer went off like gangbusters in the second half and we still couldn't beat them. I get that everyone is excited that we almost pulled it off, but both of those things happened and we still didn't win.

So you're saying' it's tough to beat a top 5 team?

After about 5 minutes in the second half, I could't take Walton anymore. I had to turn off the sound and just watch the game, which was much more enjoyable.
I kept it on because their continuous babble helped me stay awake. The commentators were in my view had no interest in reporting the game.

I know it's early, but what has Kipper given you against two quality opponents? That lazy effort after a loose ball still bothers me. Alan needs some of those AJ & Kipper minutes. Especially on nights when those two aren't providing much on either end. Did anyone notice the 4 guard line-ups?

Woo, slow you're roll there Rocky. AJ had 8 points, 10 rebs, 3 assists and 0 TOs.

Maddening! There were several times when they ignored what was going on and we were left to figure out what just happened. Color commentating is fine if not interfering with announcing the game. They were over the line last night.
Bilas is as entertaining as Walton, yet he is still informative. Walton tries very hard
to be weird.