Gonzaga 84, Illinois 78 POSTGAME

sacraig

The desert
Underwood’s ideal situation was put the ball in Trent’s hands and let him be Trent. That’s how Illinois got back into the game. I don’t think he was mad with the play. Result notwithstanding.

I just don't think I agree with that. No coach draws up the play that results in a super deep three. It's much more likely one of those things where you try to set something up to get a good look inside, it doesn't work, and then you hope your playmaker can create an open shot elsewhere. Frazier did. It's just unfortunate that it was a wide open but still low-percentage look. Even hitting that at a 40% clip means you are losing more often than winning.

haasi

New York
giorgi also a positive. looks like he can hold his own against real bigs. will be important to us this year if we're able to put anything together, and with improvement could end up being a really good player.

Chilliniwek

Chicagoland
I hope that some of you in the game thread tonight aren't the doctor who will pronounce me dead in the emergency room, just because I'm an old, overweight guy whose heart stops a couple of times. I'm so proud of the effort tonight! 3 months from now, this might be a different outcome. Proud of this team and its effort! They have the heart that they didn't have last year.

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
Maybe this could be a 2019 tournament team after all (with consistent improvement)... goodnight everyone.

Somehow pull that out Would have helped that cause...probably the highest ranked team we’ll play all year...maybe not RPI or whatever the heck it is now

Tough to win when your opponent shots 20 more ft than u do, had a shot, just couldn’t finish

Gonzaga overrated or Illini underrated?

The only thing that got curbstomped is our expectations.

Great finish.
I'm not sure it's either. When we get a game like that from Trent, we can hang with pretty much anyone. Also, Tille is part of that #3.

IllFanInMi

I
He the man, but I don’t believe we can win consistently relying on Trent to be the one who takes over so much all the way to the end. Other guys get passive, we run hero ball, and that’s just not a great recipe. Need more Batman’s to step up!!!!

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
"All night" in this case means the last 8 minutes or so, because he was a non-factor for 3/4 of the game. Still, just because he is the hot hand doesn't mean it's a high percentage shot, and I'd be a little surprised if Underwood's ideal situation was a three shot from the Big Island.
We really gonna rip on the guy with 29 pts who is the sole reason we were even sniffing an upset in the first place?

CAIllini

West Coast
Why can’t we ever have nice things! :(

Kidding aside Giorgi & Trent both played great. Would like to have more from Kipper & Ayo next time out...

Oskee67

Champaign
Wish Jordan could of made a free throw or a three Down the stretch. :(

We are good. Just need to tighten up some stuff.

Jordan is a class act and a great ambassador for the Illini, and I'm a fan of his, but he saw too much of the floor at the end, and those missed threes and FT killed us. I would have preferred KN in that spot.

illiniCA

DC Area
I just don't think I agree with that. No coach draws up the play that results in a super deep three. It's much more likely one of those things where you try to set something up to get a good look inside, it doesn't work, and then you hope your playmaker can create an open shot elsewhere. Frazier did. It's just unfortunate that it was a wide open but still low-percentage look. Even hitting that at a 40% clip means you are losing more often than winning.
Watch the reply the entire team was setup inside to run that play. There was no inside shot coming

haasi

New York
ayo and feliz didn't do much.

ayo clearly very talented, but looks like it might take him some to adjust to playing within our offense and against top notch defenders.

i'm a bit concerned that feliz won't be great. doesn't seem like a great shooter, got stuffed going to the hoop. i assume he'll have some good games, but seems much more like an OK rotation asset than a stud. contrast TRENT.

sacraig

The desert
We really gonna rip on the guy with 29 pts who is the sole reason we were even sniffing an upset in the first place?

I don't believe I ripped him. Frazier is a beast. However, he's also not a 100% 3-point shooter, so I don't expect every one to go in. That would be unreasonable.

Bailey

Los Angeles
We will just have to agree to disagree, then. It may have been all that was open, in which case you take it and hope you hit it, but you always want to try to get the highest percentage look possible.
What better shot are you alluding to? Did we have open looks at the rim all night? An open three is wildly more efficient than say, a Giorgi post up. Did you want him to get the same look but for 2? I don't think you understand what high percentage means.

I'm soooooo proud of our team! They showed a ton of heart and so much grit to fight back into this game against the 3rd ranked team in the nation! We legit had a chance to win this! I don't care what anybody says about this team... we could not have done this last year! I love ther competitiveness of this team and the Fight of this team! And I see things getting better from here! I wish Samba would get to play by I have to take my hat off to Giorgi for his unbelievable performance tonight! Bet you money he's on the radar of opponents now after this performance.

the national

the Front Range
Our tough shooting night correlates with Gonzaga’s experienced defense. Hats off to them. But man oh man, Trent has a fire in his belly! I really like all the freshman. They all showed up today, each in their own way. I like this team!

We will just have to agree to disagree, then. It may have been all that was open, in which case you take it and hope you hit it, but you always want to try to get the highest percentage look possible.

Everyone knew Trent was taking the last two, but when down 2, I think a play for Giorgi with Trent getting double teamed might have been better. That said Trent single handedly played alpha dog, when no one else wanted to or could. Kudo's to Trent for making all tournament and showing the rest of ILLINI and the fanbase to not give up!