Gonzaga 84, Illinois 78 POSTGAME

Oskee67

Champaign
We are gitting crushed at the 4 position because kipper is underperforming and aj is trying to step in.

I know it's silly to think about what ifs, but imagine Leron at the 4 this year.. ugh... But I have faith that KN and Jones will come around. Remember, this is not the easiest system to learn and Jones is only 3 games in. I remember BU saying half way through the season last year that they still didn't have their whole offense in as guys got adjusted. Only 4 are back this year, so it's really back to basics for everyone.

I am very ecstatic about the result, but can we ease off the “if this would’ve happened we would’ve won easily”. Gonzaga outrebounded us and scored in the paint like they were supposed to. We did our best to draw them off and pressure in our multiple defenses but it’s hard to stop the interior with our lack of size. We did what we did best and pressured them into turnovers. I thought the tempo favored them more, but in small pockets we got into an up tempo game where we could push it fast against Gonzaga’s size. All in all although we had a gritty performance I don’t think we should’ve won. We needed a huge performance from Giorgi coupled with Trent knocking down every 3 possible just to draw us close. We can hang our heads high though and instead of looking at this as a huge miss for an upset and resume building win instead see the potential for the remaining season. Besides now we can most likely win the next 2 as we would’ve had to face Auburn or Duke (no way in hell were beating them) in our final game.

illiniCA

DC Area
We were very unsuccessful getting layups all night. Giorgio was the only one who scored inside and it wasn’t available most of the game. There was no reason to believe we would get an open look inside and Trent was the only one shooting consistently.

Throw out stats, Trent's 3 that he left short for the lead felt way more like a 75% shot than a 40% at the time. The way he was on I will take that look every single time. Wide open. Maybe too open

UofI08

Chicago
Did you miss the part where Giorgi put down 17 tonight, primarily in the paint?

I don't think you understand what high percentage means. A layup is certainly a higher percentage shot than a three-pointer, all else being equal, and the fact that we are even arguing that is kind of ridiculous. If one player hits 40% of their threes and another hits 80% of their layups, which is higher percentage? Please tell me.
I actually think everyone is somewhat right in this back and forth. Ideally, down 2 with that much time you try to get as good a look as possible, a layup if possible. Get a very high percentage shot to tie it. In this case, I think Underwood’s thinking was basically, “Gonzaga is the superior team. Trent got us here, I’m gonna see if he can take us home.” And actually drew up a great play that was executed to perfection. Big guy switch on Trent, crossover open 3. Sometimes you make. Sometimes you miss.

Bailey

Los Angeles
We were very unsuccessful getting layups all night. Giorgio was the only one who scored inside and it wasn’t available most of the game. There was no reason to believe we would get an open look inside and Trent was the only one shoot consistently.

This magical uncontested layup didn't happen one time out of a half court set tonight. Unless we were saving it for the last 30 seconds in a one possession game.

Seeing in this thread and wondering what does Kipper bring to this team? Would rather start Feliz in a run and gun three guard lineup than Kipper out there going at 2 mph.

ayo and feliz didn't do much.

ayo clearly very talented, but looks like it might take him some to adjust to playing within our offense and against top notch defenders.

i'm a bit concerned that feliz won't be great. doesn't seem like a great shooter, got stuffed going to the hoop. i assume he'll have some good games, but seems much more like an OK rotation asset than a stud. contrast TRENT.
You must not remember the Luther Head, Deron Williams, and Dee Brown games! Look up their stats during season games! It wasn't always stellar!

Bailey

Los Angeles
Seeing in this thread and wondering what does Kipper bring to this team? Would rather start Feliz in a run and gun three guard lineup than Kipper out there going at 2 mph.
Kippers been brutal, but I'm not sold on Feliz. Thought Griffin gave us a lot more in that 2nd half.

AJ did have had a tough stretch there at the end, but IMO we aren't even in that position to tie the game if it wasn't for his play in the first half and his rebounding overall. Not sure where the hell the rebounding came from but I can't complain considering the state of our front court depth

I can tell you exactly where it came from. Kipper was getting his butt kicked inside so BU had to play AJ at the 4. He has the heart of a lion and stepped up to the challenge.

But others are right. AJ made some big mistakes in crunch time. I think Griffin showed what BU means by “recruiting winners”. Big 3, big drive for a layup, and 2 big FT’s. All in the final 3 minutes.

sacraig

The desert
We were very unsuccessful getting layups all night. Giorgio was the only one who scored inside and it wasn’t available most of the game. There was no reason to believe we would get an open look inside and Trent was the only one shoot consistently.

I am not trying to say that the better shot was going to be there. Obviously the opponent is going to do all they can to force us to take a harder shot, and they are going to try to force someone other than our best player to do it.

The one thing that bothered me, if only a bit, is that we had a full 30-second possession at the end there, and it didn't look a whole lot like we made much of an attempt to look for anything else in the opening seconds of that possession (whether it is Bezhanishvili or Frazier or whatever), and instead were resigned from the beginning to Frazier taking a deep three. That is really all I am saying. If anyone was going to take that three, I am glad it was him, and that was certainly a better look that we might have gotten.

I will also freely admit I am not an expert on our offense and perhaps some of those here that are would point out that we actually did have some kind of play going that was attempting to create a closer open look. It did not appear that way to me, however, whether by design or by the rest of the players basically letting Trent go for the glory.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
It is hard to sit here and be negative when losing that closely to a top 5 team. I am not negative, and overall I view it as a real positive that there is this amount of passion (myself included) following another early season loss. I openly admit that evaluating offensive plays and "obvious" plays are so much easier than evaluating defensive rotations and accountability, that I won't pretend to try and interpret the play on that end of the court. That said, a few thoughts:
  • It is a complete over-reaction, I know, but Trent Frazier is one of the best guards in the B1G. That was unbelievable. There is no way we lose against Georgetown with anything close to a 100% Trent.
  • In general, the young guard play is something to look forward to. Alan Griffin gave us several moments that we really NEEDED, and if we had a bit of that from Aaron Jordan, we easily win.
    • Ayo was not stellar, but the tools are clearly there. He deferred to Trent and didn't do much to cost us the game.
  • Georgi has consistently been a surprise for the Illini. Thank you, the play from him was undeniably strong.
On the flipside:
  • We don't have a consistent upperclassman. Jordan, Feliz, Adonis... Kipper! Gross. We get any real level of production from them, this is an easy win.
    • I will stand on an island here, but Feliz is not a B1G-caliber option at guard. I have yet to feel confident with the ball in his hands. Some positive results have certainly come from it, but that is no different from what you would expect from a starting Mid-Major guard. Don't get me started on what would happen if Loyola's basketball team tried playing a full season against a B1G schedule...
    • Aaron Jordan - Nope. CANNOT miss multiple wide open threes late in the game along with the front end of a 1 and 1. We HAD to have something there. I was really hoping for a Jon Diebler type season, but not only is he not hitting the shot when he HAS to hit it, he isn't creating the space to get himself open consistently enough. There were several plays where we really needed him to find space to get an open 3 and hit it, but he couldn't do it. That has to happen!
    • Kipper Nichols - I am speechless. There is so little being shown at this point, I don't really know what to say. It appears he is barely a rotation player.
  • Outside the Senior concern, as much as we benefited from creating chaos, the 7-second offense looked really, really, REALLY scary at so many points. NONONONO, don't dribble wildly toward the end-line without a plan!
The rest of this tournament will be fun. Does Damonte step up (needs to)? Does a Senior/Upperclassman do something more productive for us? Can Trent/Georgi continue to be the catalysts we need? Lots of questions and this season can go a lot of ways. Do we have a chance to make the tourney? Do we finish under .500? Either possibility is very real, I do appreciate having something to watch though...

the national

the Front Range
I think the biggest concerns for me was the absence of Kipper. He just didn't have an impact. The fouls hurt him but he also did not adjust to the game. With his experience, he should be able to make the mental adjustment. The shooting drought wasn't fun but sometimes that happens. Aaron Jordan and Damonte did a great job of doing the little things to keep us within striking distance. Griffin was such a burst off the bench, i loved his confidence and his game.

We will develop into a stronger team as the season goes on. We need a couple of resume builders here pre-B1G, but we will have a shot if we can keep this up.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Wonder what BU said to Griffin putting him back in the game w/ about 2 minutes left...just before hitting his 3. Story of the game is Giorgi in the 1st half, Tent in the 2nd half, but what clutch minutes by Griffin at the end...that's 2 Freshmen and a Sophomore, folks. Despite the loss, I'm feeling good 'bout the future going to sleep tonight.