Gonzaga 84, Illinois 78 POSTGAME

Illini look much improved over last year!! I don’t want that to go unnoticed. However, I question the shot selection down the stretch. Frazier falling in love with the deep NBA 3 as the stretch offense will not win many games. He makes the 4pt play and looks like a hero on what most would say is an ill advised shot at best and then pulled up from 2-3 feet behind the arc on a better shot but still deep in the very next position out of a timeout.
That brings me to my next concern. Maybe I’m crazy but I felt like the ability to execute out of timeouts and other dead ball situations was poor at best.

remember when i said trent was going to go off and we’re going to win this game in the pre-game thread and no one took me seriously? i said this team is very good, like second weekend good. and they have the potential to be that good. just need to clean up some sloppy play and continue to show strides. come january, this team is going to be a load. unfortunentky, it may be too late to make the tourney at that time given they still need time to fix up their mistakes along w the tough schedule. but this is going to be a very very good team by end of the year, and if we can land someone good this fall/spring...next year we can compete for a big ten title.

Deleted member 653277

D
Another non conference winnable L. A win would've looked good on our resume come selection Sunday. The Iowa State game is a MUST win now.

Why are ppl acting like AJ is the only one who was missing 3s? Outside of he and trent, the team was 2/12. AJ is battling 4s on the glass for nearly the entire second half (if youve played any ball you should know that effort is enough to really tire out the legs) then hit 3s at the end?
Some of you are acting like he's the only person to go 2/6 from 3 against a top team or something

in terms of just regular shooting, ayo was 2/7, feliz 1-5, kip 1/4.....yet its a long procession of AJ getting singled out on shooting.

Deleted member 626650

D
remember when i said trent was going to go off and we’re going to win this game in the pre-game thread and no one took me seriously? i said this team is very good, like second weekend good. and they have the potential to be that good. just need to clean up some sloppy play and continue to show strides. come january, this team is going to be a load. unfortunentky, it may be too late to make the tourney at that time given they still need time to fix up their mistakes along w the tough schedule. but this is going to be a very very good team by end of the year, and if we can land someone good this fall/spring...next year we can compete for a big ten title.
Gonzaga turned the ball over 20+ times and we still couldn't beat them. Trent Fraizer went off like gangbusters in the second half and we still couldn't beat them. I get that everyone is excited that we almost pulled it off, but both of those things happened and we still didn't win.

haasi

New York
bothers me that our offense is still so dependent on hero ball, but man was trent a (near) hero. (nero?)

i'll be thrilled when we're consistently able to manufacturer excellent looks and convert them in the flow of our offense, and we don't have to rely on one guy to make things happen when the offense isn't producing looks (trent, malcolm, ray rice, bp3, etc. etc. etc.)

1. gonzaga turned the ball over 20+ times shouldn’t be a surprise. we turn every team over, that’s just what we do. their lead guard Perkins is one of the best in the country.
2. Trent Frazier is very good at basketball, and i’m glad he’s on our team.
The officiating was horrid, but some of our rotations weren’t good either.

Our free-throw shooting has been a concern last two games and hurt us big tonight.

Georgi lost his man a few times for easy lay ups, had a few freshmanesque passes.

Luckily, all of those things can be fixed.

bothers me that our offense is still so dependent on hero ball, but man was trent a (near) hero. (nero?)

i'll be thrilled when we're consistently able to manufacturer excellent looks and convert them in the flow of our offense, and we don't have to rely on one guy to make things happen when the offense isn't producing looks (trent, malcolm, ray rice, bp3, etc. etc. etc.)
We actually ran a few very good sets tonight, and against weaker competition (i mean this is the #3 team in the country with a top 10 coach) we would have scored more on our sets.

Few did a great job of denying the direct feed to the pinch post from the opposite wing, along w sagging Georgi so that the cutters couldn’t get a direct feed.

We made good cuts, and ran set plays the way they were supposed to, but Mark Few had a very good game plan.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Georgi and Alan show that the staff can pick players. Yes, we missed out on big targets, but as our play improves, and the wins start coming, I expect that will change.

I loved seeing Georgi work the ball in the paint. I'm sure Antigua is a big part of that evolution, and will continue to be.

Goodness Kipper...where have ye gone? I hope Tevian can start to improve, we may need him to pick up some of those minutes. Although, I'm still hoping Kipper has a breakout game that gets him back on track.

Overall, I thought it was VERY encouraging and we will do some damage in the conference. Now, let's win our last two...that would make this tournament a huge success.

Deleted member 19448

D
Watched the 1st half. Too late to make it to the end. The beginnings of real progress appear to be under way. Will do us favors to have a Chicago kid as one of the faces of the program as program turns around.

Deleted member 2050

D
Another non conference winnable L. A win would've looked good on our resume come selection Sunday. The Iowa State game is a MUST win now.
If this team even sniffs the bubble come selection Sunday, this is a "good" loss.

Don't kid yourself, though. This is a great team, but a lot needs to go right for a return to the tourney (obviously, a W against Iowa State will help).

:illinois:

jmilt7

Waukegan
My ongoing crusade is to try to get people to spell Giorgi's name correctly. It's not Georgi. C'mon, if you are going to sing his praises you should spell his name correctly. He'd appreciate it.

Deleted member 746094

D
I wasn’t able to watch the game and I didn’t have the will power to avoid checking the score before watching the recording. So without watching the game, but reading all the recaps and the 5 pages of post on here I came to a few conclusions.

1) Trent is a legitimate big time player at this level. The young man just shows up in the biggest moments. Forget all of his mistakes and the few forced shots he takes. I didn’t even see the game, but I can tell you without him last night it is a 20+ loss.

2) Before the season people, not all, but most, were making fun of GB for only being able to dance and play against orange cones. Expectations were slim. Thank God we hired BU and none of us are the talent scouts. Giorgi will be a great player for us and he has proven to be a pretty good one just three games into his career here.

3) AJ has 8pts and 10reb!!! He is 6’4 ish and not all that athletic. Can’t comment on the missed 3’s or FT, but if your senior leader can give you 8 and 10 against a team where every person he is playing against is more physically gifted and has better skill- you will take it. That is a state line you want from your lone senior in a game like this.

4) Looking at the comments and stats alone. Ayo and Feliz had an off game and they are freshmen. Consistency will be the biggest challenge for them this year. They will both be good players. Ayo has the physical and skill set to be great.

5) Anyone that has expectations for Kipper this year are setting themselves up for disappointment. I have heard he is a great kid and a positive in the locker room. Talent and potential are undeniable. Unfortunately, Kipper just doesn’t have that “it” that it takes to show up and perform at a high level each and every night. There will be flashes like last year, but tonight proved he just isn’t someone to rely on in big games or any game for that matter.

6) This team will be very good by the end of the year. I said this before the season. We have one veteran leader and a bunch of young guys that can play or are athletes and learning to play at this level. They will continue to get better. We will compete every night and that is a compliment to the coach and the type of kids he is recruiting and his culture. We will win some this year that we weren’t expected to and we will lose some that we weren’t expected to. That is youth and inexperience. Our youth isn’t “Duke” level talent as those kids should be playing in the NBA.

What I find funny and ridiculous is there are a number of people that said they would be happy with just being competitive in this game and keeping it close. Now, because we kept it close, some of those same people are finding fault in the performance and saying we still can’t find a way to win the close game. Or, I saw a hint that maybe Gonzaga is just overrrated? What’s wrong with just watching your team of young men try their hardest and leave everything out there against a team that is obviously better anyway you want to measure it and come up short. Walk away from that game and just say, “they played hard and we got beat by a better treat”????

Too many statistics and metrics today. People think everything is won or lost because of some number that didn’t match up with the expected outcome. At the end of the day, the ball is tossed up and the kids decide the outcome. Just support that and you might enjoy the game a little more whether they win or lose. Sorry for the morning rant. Pissed I missed a great game and effort by our team last night and then read people finding anyway to find fault with it.

IllFanInMi

I
Agree
I wasn’t able to watch the game and I didn’t have the will power to avoid checking the score before watching the recording. So without watching the game, but reading all the recaps and the 5 pages of post on here I came to a few conclusions.

1) Trent is a legitimate big time player at this level. The young man just shows up in the biggest moments. Forget all of his mistakes and the few forced shots he takes. I didn’t even see the game, but I can tell you without him last night it is a 20+ loss.

2) Before the season people, not all, but most, were making fun of GB for only being able to dance and play against orange cones. Expectations were slim. Thank God we hired BU and none of us are the talent scouts. Giorgi will be a great player for us and he has proven to be a pretty good one just three games into his career here.

3) AJ has 8pts and 10reb!!! He is 6’4 ish and not all that athletic. Can’t comment on the missed 3’s or FT, but if your senior leader can give you 8 and 10 against a team where every person he is playing against is more physically gifted and has better skill- you will take it. That is a state line you want from your lone senior in a game like this.

4) Looking at the comments and stats alone. Ayo and Feliz had an off game and they are freshmen. Consistency will be the biggest challenge for them this year. They will both be good players. Ayo has the physical and skill set to be great.

5) Anyone that has expectations for Kipper this year are setting themselves up for disappointment. I have heard he is a great kid and a positive in the locker room. Talent and potential are undeniable. Unfortunately, Kipper just doesn’t have that “it” that it takes to show up and perform at a high level each and every night. There will be flashes like last year, but tonight proved he just isn’t someone to rely on in big games or any game for that matter.

6) This team will be very good by the end of the year. I said this before the season. We have one veteran leader and a bunch of young guys that can play or are athletes and learning to play at this level. They will continue to get better. We will compete every night and that is a compliment to the coach and the type of kids he is recruiting and his culture. We will win some this year that we weren’t expected to and we will lose some that we weren’t expected to. That is youth and inexperience. Our youth isn’t “Duke” level talent as those kids should be playing in the NBA.

What I find funny and ridiculous is there are a number of people that said they would be happy with just being competitive in this game and keeping it close. Now, because we kept it close, some of those same people are finding fault in the performance and saying we still can’t find a way to win the close game. Or, I saw a hint that maybe Gonzaga is just overrrated? What’s wrong with just watching your team of young men try their hardest and leave everything out there against a team that is obviously better anyway you want to measure it and come up short. Walk away from that game and just say, “they played hard and we got beat by a better treat”????

Too many statistics and metrics today. People think everything is won or lost because of some number that didn’t match up with the expected outcome. At the end of the day, the ball is tossed up and the kids decide the outcome. Just support that and you might enjoy the game a little more whether they win or lose. Sorry for the morning rant. Pissed I missed a great game and effort by our team last night and then read people finding anyway to find fault with it.

Agree on most points you make, but the reality is post season selections are actually based on wins and losses; I think people are voicing disappointment that moral victories don’t get you in the tournament.

foby

Bonnaroo Land

Great post, but Feliz is a junior.

I am not trying to say that the better shot was going to be there. Obviously the opponent is going to do all they can to force us to take a harder shot, and they are going to try to force someone other than our best player to do it.

The one thing that bothered me, if only a bit, is that we had a full 30-second possession at the end there, and it didn't look a whole lot like we made much of an attempt to look for anything else in the opening seconds of that possession (whether it is Bezhanishvili or Frazier or whatever), and instead were resigned from the beginning to Frazier taking a deep three. That is really all I am saying. If anyone was going to take that three, I am glad it was him, and that was certainly a better look that we might have gotten.

I will also freely admit I am not an expert on our offense and perhaps some of those here that are would point out that we actually did have some kind of play going that was attempting to create a closer open look. It did not appear that way to me, however, whether by design or by the rest of the players basically letting Trent go for the glory.

I'm frankly just happy they got a shot off after watching them fail to do so at the end of the 1st half.

I really don't have an issue with the 3 point look from Trent to take the lead. The whole team cleared out, they set a pick to force a switch so that Gonzaga had a big man on Trent and then Trent put the guy on skates and had a wide open look. Can't ask for much more than that at the end of the game.

I do see the argument for going inside for a 2 or passing it in and hoping for a kick out for another open 3, but at that point everyone was just watching Trent do his thing the last 4 minutes of the game. I'm not sure we would've had a better look and we'd all be complaining about how someone other than Trent took a shot or how THAT was the shot we ended up getting after they collapse on the ball and someone forces up a highly contested shot that misses.

Deleted member 29907

D
Down 2 with 30 seconds left. This team fought and believed until the very end. Great effort against a very good and well disciplined team.

Enough said about Trent. Giorgi shows he loves the big moments and can flat out play. He's already better than any 5 we've had in the last 5 years. Really think he's a difference maker against Happ this year.

Rest of the team - Ayo, Kip and AJ will need to help step up for today's game - we can't rely on such a heroic effort by one guy.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Really great effort and a good growth game. People ripping on AJ the last couple games need to pay attention to the defensive assignments he's being given.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
In the long run? He’s a huge factor now.

Giorgi Bezhanishvili, 3rd best player on the 2018-19 team = biggest Illinois sports surprise since....since I don’t even know

I don't understand how he wasn't a dominant high school player. This stuff was not on his film at all.

Anyway, repeatedly answering the bell and giving a great team all they could handle was not a club we had in the bag last year. A loss is a loss, but we've got enough to win some ballgames this year, and ought to just keep getting better if we can keep this roster together.