Gonzaga 84, Illinois 78 POSTGAME

Deleted member 11311

D
ORANGE, Ya glad ya stayed up for that...I am, in hindsite, the team made me want too, and I am not sure there was 1 game last year that I would have said that about....we are on the mend.

Side note, Griffin looks to be gaining some steam, dare I say Kipper is going to get left out moving forward?
I know it's early, but what has Kipper given you against two quality opponents? That lazy effort after a loose ball still bothers me. Alan needs some of those AJ & Kipper minutes. Especially on nights when those two aren't providing much on either end. Did anyone notice the 4 guard line-ups?

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
AJ did not struggle this game. Good lord...

He missed a couple of shots that we all (especially AJ) would have liked to see go in. He gave us 8 great points in the first half and a lot of much needed rebounding. Also tied for most assists on the team.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Bingo. Kipper needs to go see the wizard and get some heart. Or just leave him on the bench. AJ is all catch n shoot and always struggles against high level comp. Damonte needs to start. We need him to step up and look to score more often. Griffin deserves extended PT. More wing scoring will balance out the production from our PG and C.
Agree that Da'Monte deserves to start. No disrespect to AJ, Griffin, or Jones.

Im not sure people were watching the same game if they are complaining about AJ, dude played great and does all the little intangibles, was very impressed with the fight of the entire team. Damonte does everything, literally everything, he’s going to be unreal as an upper classman. Those jerseys are sick (for the old dogs that means they are cool)

Tacomallini

Washington State
I know it's early, but what has Kipper given you against two quality opponents? That lazy effort after a loose ball still bothers me. Alan needs some of those AJ & Kipper minutes. Especially on nights when those two aren't providing much on either end. Did anyone notice the 4 guard line-ups?
I think the best lineup we had, briefly in the 2nd half was Da'Monte, Trent, Ayo, Giorgi and Griffin.

UofI08

Chicago
I think the problem with AJ is everyone still thinks of him as a sharpshooting tall guard, when in reality he’s more of a “do all the dirty work” undersized 4 that’s working his butt off defending a bigger opponent, getting rebounds, and trying to be an upperclassman leader. I’m sure he’s beating himself up for missing the 2 3s and free throw down the stretch. With his work ethic, I guarantee he’s working on those shots in the gym today. He’s been nothing but a class act and has stuck through so much with this team. I think going forward this year he’s gonna settle into a stretch 4, 3-and-D role, and do just fine.

sacraig

The desert
I don't understand how he wasn't a dominant high school player. This stuff was not on his film at all.

Anyway, repeatedly answering the bell and giving a great team all they could handle was not a club we had in the bag last year. A loss is a loss, but we've got enough to win some ballgames this year, and ought to just keep getting better if we can keep this roster together.

I'd guess Underwood saw something in his footwork and motor and thought "I can coach that" rather than looking at his existing production.

Last edited:

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Just to clarify, when I suggested that an issue with AJ was his low release, I did not mean to suggest that he is a detriment to the team. I agree with others; AJ contributes a great deal, both on and off the court. I also don't think it's just something he needs to fix, other players need to realize when is in a good position to get off his shot.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I'd guess Underwood saw something in his footwork and motor and thought "I can coach that" rather than looking at his existing production.

A fair point. His personality too. It takes something special to handle being a true freshman out there against the #3 team in the nation on national TV playing a hectic style with a demanding coach who's gonna chew you out if you make a mistake with the confidence bordering on nonchalance that Giorgi does.

You need guys that don't wilt from the heat, and it seems we've got a handful of them now.

But still, all of that said, it's crazy that a 6'10" guy who averaged 8 points a game in high school mere months ago is throwing around drop steps and dribble drives on future NBA players like it's nothing. Don't count on this happening again.

Deleted member 14522

D
Nice effort last night. Team battled to have a chance to win against Gonzaga. If given the choice prior to tipoff that we would be down 2 pts with the ball and less than a minute in the game we would have all taken that. AJ battled and got 10 rebs, great effort from him. Everyone needs to remember most of our team is made up of newcomers. They are all still learning the offense and how to play together. It appears that Georgi is going to be quite the player. I have no clue how we will do this afternoon but I really like watching this team play.

sacraig

The desert
A fair point. His personality too. It takes something special to handle being a true freshman out there against the #3 team in the nation on national TV playing a hectic style with a demanding coach who's gonna chew you out if you make a mistake with the confidence bordering on nonchalance that Giorgi does.

You need guys that don't wilt from the heat, and it seems we've got a handful of them now.

That's true. The guy definitely does not suffer from a lack of confidence or enthusiasm.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I still think he can give valuable minutes off the bench, but at this point in his career you know what you're going to get scoring-wise. Let the kids play.
I will disagree. Don't just let the kids play. AJ is providing valuable minutes and filling the role he is asked to play. From all accounts, he is also the hardest working player on the roster. That needs to be rewarded to continue to establish a culture.

I will take that performance from AJ every night just need to hit that free throw. HIt a couple 3s, grab rebounds and play D/leadership.

We will be just fine if we get that every night from AJ. Kip, Ayo, Feliz are the guys we needed more from last night.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Some early stats, just for the fun of it;
Damonte is shooting .667%
Ayo is shooting 60% from 3
AJ is second on the team with 6.7rb -- Talk of him in a neg light is plain ridic.
The team is averaging a crazy 11 steals a game

Im not sure people were watching the same game if they are complaining about AJ, dude played great and does all the little intangibles, was very impressed with the fight of the entire team. Damonte does everything, literally everything, he’s going to be unreal as an upper classman. Those jerseys are sick (for the old dogs that means they are cool)
Nice post. For some reason, every year there’s a player who becomes a lightning rod for some posters discontent. AJ is a class act, works hard, and does the dirty work, as you say. He shoots it well when open. I like his game.

AJ should not be taken criticism, he is shooting guard that is having to play power forward. BU I think took Kipper out in the second half after he was late with defensive help. For some reason he is just prone to periods where he is not alert. There were so many times last night when we could have tied or gone ahead that missed free throws, turns overs, or bad shot selection just killed us. Clean those areas up and we are going to be a hard team to beat.

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
We have all been thinking/saying how if we start winning, we will start to land the players we want on a more regular basis. I have to say that last night's game on national television against #3 Gonzaga (I think that's a little high for them, but we are also underrated IMO) and the rest of this tournament is a massive opportunity for Illinois to show off it's product.

1. We are a good, very young team that will only keep getting better.
2. Our players are very dynamic. Giorgi Bezhanishvili is a bulldog on the court, and a huge and positive presence in the locker room. Trent Frazier is phenominal. This team is fun to watch and we will compete this year and be a top 20 team next year. I am confident of this.
3. No-one expected a 6pt game last night, and Illinois was right there with a chance to clinch the W late in the game.
4. Another nationally televised game today against a good Iowa State team. Yes, I know they are missing some, but that's basketball. If we had all our players for every game, we would be 2-1 instead of 1-2.

It's early in the season, but Illini basketball is on the rise. Our brand and product is going to continue to catch the attention of those "Plan A" recruits. Props to the coaching staff for crushing it and developing this team into a fun product to watch. Fighting Illini are waking up..... on the bball court. Recruits are coming, but until then, I think we have a crazy good foundation!

Bill Walton said some flattering things about the Illini, but does he ever stop talking about himself?
After about 5 minutes in the second half, I could't take Walton anymore. I had to turn off the sound and just watch the game, which was much more enjoyable.

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO
I wasn’t able to watch the game and I didn’t have the will power to avoid checking the score before watching the recording. So without watching the game, but reading all the recaps and the 5 pages of post on here I came to a few conclusions.

1) Trent is a legitimate big time player at this level. The young man just shows up in the biggest moments. Forget all of his mistakes and the few forced shots he takes. I didn’t even see the game, but I can tell you without him last night it is a 20+ loss.

2) Before the season people, not all, but most, were making fun of GB for only being able to dance and play against orange cones. Expectations were slim. Thank God we hired BU and none of us are the talent scouts. Giorgi will be a great player for us and he has proven to be a pretty good one just three games into his career here.

3) AJ has 8pts and 10reb!!! He is 6’4 ish and not all that athletic. Can’t comment on the missed 3’s or FT, but if your senior leader can give you 8 and 10 against a team where every person he is playing against is more physically gifted and has better skill- you will take it. That is a state line you want from your lone senior in a game like this.

4) Looking at the comments and stats alone. Ayo and Feliz had an off game and they are freshmen. Consistency will be the biggest challenge for them this year. They will both be good players. Ayo has the physical and skill set to be great.

5) Anyone that has expectations for Kipper this year are setting themselves up for disappointment. I have heard he is a great kid and a positive in the locker room. Talent and potential are undeniable. Unfortunately, Kipper just doesn’t have that “it” that it takes to show up and perform at a high level each and every night. There will be flashes like last year, but tonight proved he just isn’t someone to rely on in big games or any game for that matter.

6) This team will be very good by the end of the year. I said this before the season. We have one veteran leader and a bunch of young guys that can play or are athletes and learning to play at this level. They will continue to get better. We will compete every night and that is a compliment to the coach and the type of kids he is recruiting and his culture. We will win some this year that we weren’t expected to and we will lose some that we weren’t expected to. That is youth and inexperience. Our youth isn’t “Duke” level talent as those kids should be playing in the NBA.

What I find funny and ridiculous is there are a number of people that said they would be happy with just being competitive in this game and keeping it close. Now, because we kept it close, some of those same people are finding fault in the performance and saying we still can’t find a way to win the close game. Or, I saw a hint that maybe Gonzaga is just overrrated? What’s wrong with just watching your team of young men try their hardest and leave everything out there against a team that is obviously better anyway you want to measure it and come up short. Walk away from that game and just say, “they played hard and we got beat by a better treat”????

Too many statistics and metrics today. People think everything is won or lost because of some number that didn’t match up with the expected outcome. At the end of the day, the ball is tossed up and the kids decide the outcome. Just support that and you might enjoy the game a little more whether they win or lose. Sorry for the morning rant. Pissed I missed a great game and effort by our team last night and then read people finding anyway to find fault with it.
Given the fact that you didn't watch the game, I thought you put together a fantastic recap. For all of the folks that thought we would get blown out by 20+ and that the Vegas spread of 14.5 was crazy low ... please step up and give our guys and the coaches some credit. While there are some obvious areas to work on, they played really hard and had the #3 team in the country scared to death with a minute to play. They were down 13 in the 2nd half and could've easily given up and got blown out by over 20 but they didn't. They forced turnovers with aggressive D and Trent was fantastic. To all of the doomsdayers ... please think back to the last 10 years or so of awful Illinois basketball. This team is not there yet but they are really heading in the right direction. Wins define a program's success and hopefully we make a tournament this year. Maybe we will and maybe we won't but we are 3 games in and this body of work should be really appealing to future recruits! My last comment would be to ask the folks that still aren't happy ... how do you think a John Groce coached team would have fared last night? Turn that frown upside down!:shield: