Grand Canyon game (Nov. 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illinois at Grand Canyon (GCU Arena, Phoenix, AZ)
Friday, November 8th
8:00pm CT

TV-
WCIX in Central Illinois
FOX 10 Xtra in Phoenix

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:

Has anyone been to the GCU stadium? We are flying in and have tickets for Tucson but are wondering about SRO tickets that are for sale at GCU. I would like to take in both games and play some golf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 182960

D
Has anyone been to the GCU stadium? We are flying in and have tickets for Tucson but are wondering about SRO tickets that are for sale at GCU. I would like to take in both games and play some golf.
I've been to the GCU arena. Great place to watch a game. Not sure what SRO tickets are but I know tickets are getting pricey for the GCU game

Deleted member 333

D
It is going to be carried on WCIX in Central Illinois (not WCIA)

I've been to the GCU arena. Great place to watch a game. Not sure what SRO tickets are but I know tickets are getting pricey for the GCU game

yeah, I bought my a week ago and they weren't cheap. AZ was much less expensive. SRO = Standing Room Only, I believe. Not sure where SRO seats are at the Arena. I've been in it only once, for my son's freshman orientation.

no tv of any kind for most of us Grand Canyon? why is it not at least on BTNplus?

no tv of any kind for most of us Grand Canyon? why is it not at least on BTNplus?

GCU has their own tv streaming service that the game will be on. Supposedly they have a 24 hr pass you can buy but I'm struggling to figure out how to sign up for it.

Regarding the UI v. Grand Canyon basketball game being broadcast LIVE on WCIA-3's sister station, WCIX-TV (Channel 49). Channels differ depending on provider but the game will be live 8:00p-10:00p within the WCIA-3 television DMA. Basically Watseka south to south of Effingham, Jacksonville, IL to the West to the IL/In border to the east (Danville) and running south down toward Marshall. Visit WCIA.com for more information. This is the ONLY local way to view the broadcast. It will be GCU's announcer team.

jmilt7

Waukegan
GCU played their exhibition game last night (beat CSU San Bernardino 87-60 or something like that). Last night I went to their web site to check out what they call GCUTV (<https://gculopes.com/watch/?>) to see if I could watch it live (just to check it out in case I could do this for the Illinois game). I was not able to stream it but, and this is a big but, like an idiot I only tried Chrome. This morning I went back to the site to see if I could stream the replay. Again, I could not using Chrome but I tried Safari and it worked. I was able to see the game although I had to fast forward through about 45 minutes of pre-game nonsense. I also tried Firefox and was also unsuccessful. So, at least those of you who use Safari may be able to watch the Illinois game the next day. Or maybe it will work on other browsers on a PC (I use a Mac). Also, since, as mentioned before like an idiot, I did not try other browsers it just might be possible to watch the game live using Safari. But don't quote me on that. GCU's next game is the 5th and I will try it again using Safari and report back. Also, last night when I tried to watch the game live and was not able to using their GCUTV I did a google search for GCU vs CSU San Bernardino and was taken to a youtube live broadcast in a different window, apparently nothing to do with GCUTV, I think. And I was able to watch live there. So I don't know if that will work for the Illinois game but it is worth a shot I guess.

Dan

Admin
(Moved some posts into this new thread to consolidate discussion of the GCU game. Go Illini)

I'm hoping I can watch it on demand on GCU app/website after the game. It looks like you should be able to but we shall see. Will be the 1st game I haven't been able to watch in probably 10 years if not.

I'm hoping I can watch it on demand on GCU app/website after the game. It looks like you should be able to but we shall see. Will be the 1st game I haven't been able to watch in probably 10 years if not.

Thanks for the tip. I went searching for what you're talking about, and found their site:
https://gculopes.com/watch/?Archive=48&type=Archive

Good signs that the 10/30 game against CSU SAN BERNARDINO is freely available on demand, and our game is listed in the "Upcoming Events" tab.

EDIT: And now I see that I'm basically repeating what others have said ...

GCU played their exhibition game last night (beat CSU San Bernardino 87-60 or something like that). Last night I went to their web site to check out what they call GCUTV (<https://gculopes.com/watch/?>) to see if I could watch it live (just to check it out in case I could do this for the Illinois game). I was not able to stream it but, and this is a big but, like an idiot I only tried Chrome. This morning I went back to the site to see if I could stream the replay. Again, I could not using Chrome but I tried Safari and it worked. I was able to see the game although I had to fast forward through about 45 minutes of pre-game nonsense. I also tried Firefox and was also unsuccessful. So, at least those of you who use Safari may be able to watch the Illinois game the next day. Or maybe it will work on other browsers on a PC (I use a Mac). Also, since, as mentioned before like an idiot, I did not try other browsers it just might be possible to watch the game live using Safari. But don't quote me on that. GCU's next game is the 5th and I will try it again using Safari and report back. Also, last night when I tried to watch the game live and was not able to using their GCUTV I did a google search for GCU vs CSU San Bernardino and was taken to a youtube live broadcast in a different window, apparently nothing to do with GCUTV, I think. And I was able to watch live there. So I don't know if that will work for the Illinois game but it is worth a shot I guess.

chrisRunner7

Spokane, WA
Some more information on this GCU TV... student announcers and production teams, but it's free of charge (unlike BTN+) and there may even be a YouTube stream.

Watching GCU Athletics

All home events in the above sports are broadcasted via GCU TV. Events that air on television are simulcast on GCU TV also.
WHERE TO WATCH
  • Streams free of charge on GCULopes.com/Watch.
  • Streams free of charge on YouTube and the YouTube mobile app and smart TVs.
  • Many events are also streamed on the conference's streaming platform, the WAC Digital Network. Fans can access games for free at WACDigitalNetwork.com.
BROADCAST TEAM
Events streaming on GCU TV feature a production team consisting of Grand Canyon University students with oversight from GCU TV full-time staff. Students operate cameras, provide play-by-play and commentary, set up streams and commercial programming, and more.

Students provide commentary on most events, with Michael Potter, the radio voice of the Lopes, providing play-by-play for all home baseball games and several other select events.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Some more information on this GCU TV... student announcers and production teams, but it's free of charge (unlike BTN+) and there may even be a YouTube stream.

Watching GCU Athletics

All home events in the above sports are broadcasted via GCU TV. Events that air on television are simulcast on GCU TV also.
WHERE TO WATCH
  • Streams free of charge on GCULopes.com/Watch.
  • Streams free of charge on YouTube and the YouTube mobile app and smart TVs.
  • Many events are also streamed on the conference's streaming platform, the WAC Digital Network. Fans can access games for free at WACDigitalNetwork.com.
BROADCAST TEAM
Events streaming on GCU TV feature a production team consisting of Grand Canyon University students with oversight from GCU TV full-time staff. Students operate cameras, provide play-by-play and commentary, set up streams and commercial programming, and more.

Students provide commentary on most events, with Michael Potter, the radio voice of the Lopes, providing play-by-play for all home baseball games and several other select events.
I just bookmarked the GCU watch link. They don't put spoiler scores there, so if you cannot watch it live and can avoid Loyalty, etc. you can watch without knowing the outcome. BTN+ also has an option where you can block final scores. No spoilers! Thanks to everyone who's shared the info on streaming this game.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Just picked up GCU tickets! Man am I pumped to see this team live. Think there will be a lot of orange in the crowd given how many alums are in Phoenix (and Illinois snowbirds are in town now, too).

Deleted member 8896

D
Does anyone know if there is a bar close to the GCU arena that people are meeting at pre-game? Is the Phoenix Illini club having any events?

Deleted member 8896

D
Does anyone know if there is a bar close to the GCU arena that people are meeting at pre-game? Is the Phoenix Illini club having any events?
Half Moon Windy City Sports Grill at 4:30

I think we’re going to smack GCU. They have a bunch of new players to integrate into their team and whatever their home court advantage is isn’t going to magically help that.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
Fwiw, Torvik has us beating GCU 83-73 and AZ 80-79. I'll be ok with that.

Not straight-up dogs until the Maryland game.

Fwiw, Torvik has us beating GCU 83-73 and AZ 80-79. I'll be ok with that.

Not straight-up dogs until the Maryland game.

Choosing to use Torvik, a clear outlier on Illinois' rankings, is definitely equivalent to throwing on your orange tinted shades and swimming around in a pool full of orange Kool-Aid...

ESPN predicts:
Illinois @ GCU, Tossup (51.1% probability)
Illinois @ Arizona, Loss (35% probability)

Also, remember last time we played GCU we were at home and we only won by 4 points with Leron Black going off for 20 pts / 11 rebounds. Hoping Kofi can replicate Leron's performance in our next meeting and that our supporting cast is stronger as well.

sacraig

The desert
Choosing to use Torvik, a clear outlier on Illinois' rankings, is definitely equivalent to throwing on your orange tinted shades and swimming around in a pool full of orange Kool-Aid...

ESPN predicts:
Illinois @ GCU, Tossup (51.1% probability)
Illinois @ Arizona, Loss (35% probability)

Also, remember last time we played GCU we were at home and we only won by 4 points with Leron Black going off for 20 pts / 11 rebounds. Hoping Kofi can replicate Leron's performance in our next meeting and that our supporting cast is stronger as well.

We ought to be a much better team than last time we played GCU, but honestly, who knows. We shouldn't be playing at GCU anyway, and I am still pretty annoyed by the whole concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.