Grange Grove & Tailgating

Can anyone comment on setting up and taking down in Grange Grove? I'm interested in tailgating there, but very concerned with the logistics of it; such as carrying items, leaving items unattended, and cleaning up afterwards.

Any input from people who have tailgated in GG would be much appreciated!

GO ILLINI!

Can anyone comment on setting up and taking down in Grange Grove? I'm interested in tailgating there, but very concerned with the logistics of it; such as carrying items, leaving items unattended, and cleaning up afterwards.

Any input from people who have tailgated in GG would be much appreciated!

GO ILLINI!

Bump, also trying to figure this out for Saturday.

JoeyJackMo

Champaign, IL
I tailgated at GG for 3 games last year and honestly everything went pretty smooth.

I showed up at 5 PM on friday and I pretty much the entire place to choose my spot - there were only a few frats and RSO's also setting up.

I expect it to be more popular this year though.

I pretty much just set my stuff (awning, grill, chairs, bags, cooler with un-iced beer) in a pile then went home. The next morning i would park in my lot (46 at the time, 42 this year) and walk over with my stereo, bag of ice, and food. I bought a camping wagon this year to make this process easier.

I've never had an issue with anything going missing over friday night or during the game. After the game we may go back out and slam a beer or two. someone would then bring the truck around to the lot just North of GG where we unloaded and we'd load everything back up.

It all goes pretty smoothly really and you can't beat how close you are to the action. The drumline and band come and give a nice concert as well. And the illiniwalk was more popular last year than I've ever seen it before.

I highly recommend it and I'll see you there on Saturday.

You reckon we'll have any problems setting up in the morning around 10?

It looked like there was plenty of open space last year, and this game is sadly going to be far from a sellout.

I tailgated at GG for 3 games last year and honestly everything went pretty smooth.

I showed up at 5 PM on friday and I pretty much the entire place to choose my spot - there were only a few frats and RSO's also setting up.

I expect it to be more popular this year though.

I pretty much just set my stuff (awning, grill, chairs, bags, cooler with un-iced beer) in a pile then went home. The next morning i would park in my lot (46 at the time, 42 this year) and walk over with my stereo, bag of ice, and food. I bought a camping wagon this year to make this process easier.

I've never had an issue with anything going missing over friday night or during the game. After the game we may go back out and slam a beer or two. someone would then bring the truck around to the lot just North of GG where we unloaded and we'd load everything back up.

It all goes pretty smoothly really and you can't beat how close you are to the action. The drumline and band come and give a nice concert as well. And the illiniwalk was more popular last year than I've ever seen it before.

I highly recommend it and I'll see you there on Saturday.

You were probably inside the stadium but if you are in the GG during the game I bet you can hear the fans and the announcer, right?

JoeyJackMo

Champaign, IL
A few of our tailgates did hang over passed kickoff. You can definitely hear the fireworks and fans. The announces is a bit muffled but you can probably make it out. Pretty similar to what you hear of the game at other tailgating areas.

That is studiously vague as to whether you can set up the day of.

I doubt they'd turn anyone away, but does anyone have more info on that?

I have only been there once, for the Husker game last year and on that day there was not only a lot of space but yes people were setting up. The only issue might be getting your stuff to the spot just because it seemed a bit more congested as far as driving around.

Probably not a ton of help but that is just what I remember.

I said it before but as a Husker fan I am super jealous of the GG. What a great idea and I think if the DIA sticks with it, it could become a really cool place to be. I guess I am still a bit shocked that the spots are not basically all gone by 5:15 pm.

If I am a small mom and pop shop, I get a spot there and give out samples of my food. If I am a bar I set up shop there just to be seen and promote a bit.

That is studiously vague as to whether you can set up the day of.

I doubt they'd turn anyone away, but does anyone have more info on that?

I know the streets going to the parking lot north of GG are blocked off on gameday. I'm pretty sure you can only get in with a pass because there is security at the barricades. Maybe they would let you in just to drop stuff off but I doubt it.

So if you wanted to set up the day of then you would need to be okay with walking with all your in.

And having said that, it makes me think they should change that rule for night games. Like let people drive up and drop off until like noon.

S&C - if you're arriving that morning, you shouldn't have any problem getting a spot. Even the games late in the season it never filled to "capacity".

The trick though, as others have said, is bringing your stuff in. There's really no place to pull up and drop stuff off since they block off 1st St. I've asked the DIA and they said they looked into it, but logistically it's just too hard to create a drop zone with everything else going on during gameday.

Your best bet might be to pull up quickly on Kirby near Lot 31 and drop a bunch of stuff on the curb, then go park and come back to walk it in from there. Let us know if you find something that works well.

Your best bet might be to pull up quickly on Kirby near Lot 31 and drop a bunch of stuff on the curb, then go park and come back to walk it in from there. Let us know if you find something that works well.

That's my plan. I'm gonna have 3-4 people and a relatively nearby parking space, so hopefully it will work okay.

Is GG just like a series of private tailgates? My friends and I are coming for the Iowa game, and I kind of wanted to take them tailgating there for a bit, but I wasn't sure if there'd be space for us, any beer being sold there this year, exclusively "public" areas, etc.

Is GG just like a series of private tailgates? My friends and I are coming for the Iowa game, and I kind of wanted to take them tailgating there for a bit, but I wasn't sure if there'd be space for us, any beer being sold there this year, exclusively "public" areas, etc.

I think it is pretty open and first come first serve and free.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Where does one park without a parking pass for a game?

If you're able to snag a meter, that may be your best bet. Use the Mobile Meter app and you can keep refilling at the game if you get a 2 hour meter.

Is parking free in GG? How soon does the lot typically fill up. I went to a game last year, but didn't park anywhere near the stadium.

I can confirm there's going to be a beer garden this year in Grange Grove that will have beer for purchase. It'll be run by the same company that does concessions inside the stadium, and it'll be 21+ to get in. Last call will be about 30 minutes before kickoff.

Is parking free in GG? How soon does the lot typically fill up. I went to a game last year, but didn't park anywhere near the stadium.

No cars allowed in Grange Grove - it's pure tailgating space and you couldn't drive in even if you wanted to now, with the fence and the barricades. You have to park in another lot and walk over.

Crazy Joe Davola

Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Research Park, Lot 49 or Huff Hall. I think it still costs $20. Parking Map (pdf)

To run with this a bit, anyone have experience parking a coach bus in any of these lots? I know Lots 31, 42, & 45 are all designated for oversized vehicles, but I can't find any info on if spaces there need to be reserved. Any help would be appreciated.