I was Wrong Thread; Now I'm a Believer

Deleted member 16340

D
Can it really be 53 years ago that I was watching the Monkeys on Saturday mornings? RIP Peter and Davey.

Here’s my take. If Underwood can get the Ethan Haap and Fred Van Vleet’s to Champaign we’ll win some games. Pass, shoot, score.

He got the Giorgi B

I was a skeptic, would have gone to the Md game if I believed we had a chance. Once Brad started changing defenses, throwing in some zone, I felt better. But will say at this time coach knows best when his team is ready to do this.

GO ILLINI!

Deleted member 16068

D
I'm a optimist about my sports teams but I had given up on this team and BU as I stopped watching games because it was painful and has been for several years. I just found myself getting mad.

But I'm back and actually enjoying watching the games. On Monday night i went to Blackhawks game and had seats behind Hawks bench, however i was more closely following the ILLINI v Wisky game.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
I was definitely wrong 1+ month ago about this team's ability to start playing considerably better and actually beat any good teams.

That said, any sign of potential and optimism means little until this team actually finishes a Big Ten schedule with at very least 10 wins and actually makes an NCAA tournament. This fanbase has been banking way too long on "next year" and "2-3 years from now"... and have been disappointed every time in the last decade-plus.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Robert from IlliniBoard always talks about young teams seeming disjointed and discombobulated until suddenly a switch flips and then suddenly they aren't either of those things. That's almost exactly what it seems like has happened, and it all started with that Maryland game (though there were hints against Minny, too). I'm glad it happened, and in hindsight probably was a little impatient with how things were progressing given just how many new faces there were this year, and how new these guys were to playing with each other. It always reminds of how little we are privy to the inner workings of the locker room and to what the coaches are teaching these players. Should have trusted there was a method to BU's madness a bit more perhaps given his track record. I'm glad we're seeing the progress now, and with basically our core all being underclassmen, then future is certainly bright. Can't wait to see how these guys play together next year with another year of development, knowledge of the system, and chemistry (plus Kofi, Antwan, and wing TBD!).

Wow. It seems there are so many negative posters that are not responding to this thread. Was I happy with the way things were going earlier? NO! Did I ever give up on this team? Absolutely NOT! With 70% of teens reporting that they are depressed or have anxiety issues, do I think negative social media is good for the country! Hell NO!

sacraig

The desert
I was definitely wrong 1+ month ago about this team's ability to start playing considerably better and actually beat any good teams.

That said, any sign of potential and optimism means little until this team actually finishes a Big Ten schedule with at very least 10 wins and actually makes an NCAA tournament. This fanbase has been banking way too long on "next year" and "2-3 years from now"... and have been disappointed every time in the last decade-plus.

True, but in most of those cases, we've been hopeful, perhaps foolishly so, despite some obvious downward signs (the exception being Groce's first year where we looked to be trending up). Ever since the lights turned on for this team a few weeks ago, all of our signs are now pointing up. The optimism just feels more warranted. Time will tell.

The change began to surface the Michigan game but coming on the heels of the NW game I don't think many people noticed it.

If I remember correctly Michigan jumped out to a 9 point lead in the first 5 minutes but outscored us by only one point the rest of the way. We never got it closer than 6 and they never got it out beyond 13 and that was with 23 seconds left.. It was very competitive the last 35.

This was the first game were Ayo and Giorgi were our top scores.

We had 20 points off turnovers another sign of things to come.

The next week was Minnesota but Michigan was the game where the players started to believe.