John "Red" Kerr, Men's Basketball
Scott Langley, Men's Golf
Celena Mondie-Milner, Women's Track & Field
Charles Pond, Men's Gymnastics Coach
Joe Sapora, Wrestling
Justin Spring, Men's Gymnastics
Tonya Williams, Women's Track & Field
Willie Williams, Men's Track & Field

http://fightingillini.com/news/2018...-names-2018-athletics-hall-of-fame-class.aspx

2018 Hall of Fame Members (sorted by sport)

Charles Carney, Football/Men's Basketball
Dave Downey, Men's Basketball
Kendall Gill, Men's Basketball
John "Red" Kerr, Men's Basketball
Lou Henson, Men's Basketball Coach

Alex Agase, Football/Wrestling
Charles Carney, Football/Men's Basketball
Jim Grabowski, Football
Dana Howard, Football
Ray Eliot, Football Coach/Hockey Coach

Charles Pond, Men's Gymnastics Coach
Justin Spring, Men's Gymnastics

Celena Mondie-Milner, Women's Track & Field
Tonya Williams, Women's Track & Field
Willie Williams, Men's Track & Field

Alex Agase, Football/Wrestling
Joe Sapora, Wrestling

Darrin Fletcher, Baseball

Maxwell Garret, Fencing Coach

Scott Langley, Men's Golf

Tara Hurless, Women's Soccer

Kevin Anderson, Men's Tennis

Nancy Brookhart Cherin, Volleyball

Charles Carney should be a legend.

He was an All American in both football and basketball. He was the Helms National basketball player of the year in 1922 and was later elected to the College Football Hall of Fame. A legitimate superstar in both sports.

Also, I’m a little dissapointed at still no Jean Driscoll or Tatyana McFadden. (Although McFadden is still quite young and might not be eligible yet... not sure on the rules.)

Deleted member 186590

D
Also, I’m a little dissapointed at still no Jean Driscoll or Tatyana McFadden. (Although McFadden is still quite young and might not be eligible yet... not sure on the rules.)

I agree with you - she's in the U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME. How many other Illini do we have in the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame - I think the answer would be NONE. Look up who is in the Olympic Hall of Fame some time - it's not a long list. She literally put the Illini on the map in wheelchair racing to the point where it was the dominate program in the U.S. Worked for the UofI many years after graduating - I can't imagine anyone having more impact on their sport, representing the UofI in a better light and continuing to contribute to the school.

McFadden obviously deserves it as well. Perhaps not having a college wheelchair racing sport is the reason, but the criteria is nebulous at best.
Clearly some got in for their contributions after they left Illinois, not due to their college prowess or contribution to their college sport anyway. Especially seems odd given how inclusive of smaller sports they were trying to be.

How does Henson get in before Combes who had a better record?

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
How does Henson get in before Combes who had a better record?

Combes 316 wins in 20 years .678 winning
Henson 423 wins in 21 years .654 winning

I guess it depends on what you call a better record. Of course Combes was ousted in the Slush Fund scandal so that may be part of it too. Who knows what all goes into these decisions? It could also be that Lou is still able to appreciate his admission to the HOF and Combes can’t.

Combes 316 wins in 20 years .678 winning
Henson 423 wins in 21 years .654 winning

I guess it depends on what you call a better record. Of course Combes was ousted in the Slush Fund scandal so that may be part of it too. Who knows what all goes into these decisions? It could also be that Lou is still able to appreciate his admission to the HOF and Combes can’t.

I would suggest that the B10 record is more relevant than the overall record. Using that metric Combes had a winning % of .626 vs. Henson's .567. Most coaches pad their non conference record with weak opponents and they played a lot more nonconference games during the Henson tenure. It is true that Combes was involved with the Slush Fund but, then, Henson had his own issues with the NCAA. Combes had three B10 titles vs. one for Henson.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
I would suggest that the B10 record is more relevant than the overall record. Using that metric Combes had a winning % of .626 vs. Henson's .567. Most coaches pad their non conference record with weak opponents and they played a lot more nonconference games during the Henson tenure. It is true that Combes was involved with the Slush Fund but, then, Henson had his own issues with the NCAA. Combes had three B10 titles vs. one for Henson.

That’s a good argument for Combes. His percentage was better overall and in conference. His teams were a riot to watch. They ran up and down the court like they were on fire. It is easily argued either way. I am glad Lou is here to enjoy his honor.