Illini Bars in Your City

Chicago: Looking for Illini bars, preferably with sound. Joe's on Weed Street does, correct? Any others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rockford, Illinois
Schoolyard

At Schoolyard last Saturday, and it was great! Ask for Casey, the manager (wore a blue cap with an orange :illinois: on it). He was fantastically friendly, going out of his way to make sure we (4 old farts :) we're well-taken care of.

Charlotte, NC
Schoolyard for sure, my favorite by far. Especially on tourney days.

CU Expat
Chicago
I went to Joe's on Weed Street for the UI/Northwestern football game because it was supposed to be an Illini bar. Showed up in orange and the whole bit. I walk in and there are 3 other Illini fans in the joint, not really even watching the game. There was also an Indiana alumni group meeting there to watch their game. Although I don't think a single one of them watched a split second of the game, they just got plastered (...typical).

I haven't tried schoolyard, but it can't be worse than that.

Charlotte, NC
I went to Joe's on Weed Street for the UI/Northwestern football game because it was supposed to be an Illini bar. Showed up in orange and the whole bit. I walk in and there are 3 other Illini fans in the joint, not really even watching the game. There was also an Indiana alumni group meeting there to watch their game. Although I don't think a single one of them watched a split second of the game, they just got plastered (...typical).

I haven't tried schoolyard, but it can't be worse than that.

that sounds horrible. But I'll vouch for Schoolyard there, the bball/fball games ive watched there; 90% illini fans (they also claim to be a Marquette bar) and everybody gets into the game.

Plus foods not bad, and beers cheap for chicago.

Don't go to Joe's it just sucks for Illini games. Schoolyard and Barn&Co are the two best places. Rebel has turned into some country bar and when I went there to watch Washington-Illinois football game it was only on 2 TVs. I remember going to Schoolyard after we beat Arizona at Allstate arena and it was crazy in there.

Charlotte, NC
I know this is about Chicago, but anyone know of any Charlotte?

Just moved there, and cant find any?

What happened to Joe's? Owned by a Illinois alum, but also with an IU alum. Used to be a happening Illini bar.

Was at Schoolyard on Sunday for the Illini-Wisky game. 80% Illini fans there watching the game, and the place was full. Good atmosphere.

Haven't been to Barn and Co. yet... it is worth going? Big crowds? Obviously BBQ is always a good selling point.