Illini Baseball 2019

Deleted member 645583

D
In at least one poll, the Illini are #25! Pretty darned good for a northern team.

In at least one poll, the Illini are #25! Pretty darned good for a northern team.

Woohoo! Really hoping we can make the Tournament this year, I love baseball and would really become a lot more into college baseball if the Illini could have regular Tournament appearances. Don't get me wrong, I already follow the team and stuff, but that one year with our 27-game winning streak or whatever was a whole other level. Keep it rollin', boys!

Deleted member 645583

D
Baseball - always has been my favorite sport.

But I'm hung up on unis. I fervently hope Illini wear those pinstripes with the sleeveless tops, jerseys, vests, whatever. Classy, baby!

GO ILLINI!

FT35

Naperville
Illinois is ranked #8 in the RPI although they have no Top 100 wins.

https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty

Their next two opponents are ranked #167 (SLU) and #30 (Illinois State).

Anyone know when Taylor will be back?

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
Really hope they can get back to Omaha this year, 2015 was a blast. College baseball I feel like is an underrated gem of a postseason.

Every year I resolve to get to some Illini baseball games and every year I fail to do it. I was out of town for the first home series of the year. I was out of town yesterday and will be tomorrow, but today at least, I had no excuse. A beautiful day in the low 50s, sunny, with almost no breeze. About as perfect a day as you're going to get in Illinois in March.

And the Illini treated me to a good one. Ty Weber was strong for 8.2 innings. The Illini offense knocked the ball all over the field, but never could manage to break it open. Ended up a closer-than-it-should-have-been 4-2 victory.

Illinois St is 24th in RPI with a win over Vanderbilt and the Illini knocked them all over the field for a home seeep.

RPI probably isn’t a true representation of how good the teams really are at this point of the season, but State’s a pretty good team that the Illini made to look non-competitive this weekend.

Kellen Sarver a walk on from Champaign Centennial hitting in the 4 hole and playing 1st base...awesome!

FT35

Naperville
Is the Big 10 pretty weak this year? Outside of Michigan, Indiana & the beloved?

The Big 10 is traditionally weak in baseball although it's no longer a 1 bid league like it was 10+ years ago. The additions of Nebraska and Maryland along with facility upgrades throughout the conference have made it a MUCH better baseball conference.

Illinois has so much quality prep talent that years like 2015 and this one could really propel it into a program that's perennially in the Top 25 which is hard to do for a northern team. Last year's recruiting class was one of the best in program history.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Minnesota got beat around early by a tough schedule but they will be good. Michigan State, Northwestern and Purdue suck.

Kellen Sarver a walk on from Champaign Centennial hitting in the 4 hole and playing 1st base...awesome!
He's hitting .343 and fielding .986. He came in as a catcher so he is playing out of position at first base.

Illinois is playing short-handed. Their starting center fielder, Zac Taylor, ran into the wall making a play vs. Grand Canyon and has been out since. He was batting .400 up till that point. Mike Massey, the normal starting second baseman has been used only as a dh thus far due to a back injury. He is hitting .355 from that spot.

The Big 10 is traditionally weak in baseball although it's no longer a 1 bid league like it was 10+ years ago. The additions of Nebraska and Maryland along with facility upgrades throughout the conference have made it a MUCH better baseball conference.

Illinois has so much quality prep talent that years like 2015 and this one could really propel it into a program that's perennially in the Top 25 which is hard to do for a northern team. Last year's recruiting class was one of the best in program history.

The roster is primarily Illinois kids, too. They grab a few others from the around the Midwest but Hartleb recruits primarily home state kids.

You'll still get the best of the best Illinois kids going to play for warm weather schools in the SEC or Pac 12, but the baseball practice facility is a pretty big deal and should lock down 90% of Illinois kids that would have gone to Nebraska, Michigan, or another warm weather school with premium facilities.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
If healthy, this team has a serious chance to capture the Big 14 crown as well as a spot in Omaha. All they really are missing is a big-time ace. Their pitching is good but few power arms. That said, freshman Aidan Maldonado has all the makings of a future top round pick.

If healthy, this team has a serious chance to capture the Big 14 crown as well as a spot in Omaha. All they really are missing is a big-time ace. Their pitching is good but few power arms. That said, freshman Aidan Maldonado has all the makings of a future top round pick.

Emphasis on 'future'. Watched him vs. St. Louis and the lad was as wild as a hare. Only lasted three innings and walked five batters (also struck out five). He's pitched 8 innings on the year and has 9 walks and 9 strike outs. He was drafted by the Brewers out of high school. He is slated to start vs. Indiana State this week.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Emphasis on 'future'. Watched him vs. St. Louis and the lad was as wild as a hare. Only lasted three innings and walked five batters (also struck out five). He's pitched 8 innings on the year and has 9 walks and 9 strike outs. He was drafted by the Brewers out of high school. He is slated to start vs. Indiana State this week.
Sounds like Nuke, from Bull Durham.

He had 6 walks in 4.2 innings tonight and we lost 3-1.