Illini Basketball 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Tracy, Tate, Nunn, and Hill providing upperclassmen guard play. We can rely on the freshmen to be our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th guards off the bench through non-conference play. Plus, JCL is probably the most ready-to-play freshman we've had since Richmond or McCamey.
FWIW, McCamey struggled as a freshman. But I agree that it isn't a desperate situation to be relying upon freshmen to provide depth behind 4 experienced perimeter players.

but on the other hand giving JCL opportunities for lots of minutes would probably accelerate his development, which is a good thing.
I absolutely agree with this. I'm quite confident that not have Cosby next year would be a benefit to the 2016-2017 team due to extra time that would be forced onto JCL and AJ, as well as the possibility of getting another point guard. W/R/T next year alone though, I'll be more comfortable in November if Cosby is here. Just my thoughts.

Logan Square, Chicago
FWIW, McCamey struggled as a freshman. But I agree that it isn't a desperate situation to be relying upon freshmen to provide depth behind 4 experienced perimeter players.
My memory must be fuzzy. I just remember him scoring 30-some points against Eric Gordon and IU.

At least I think I remember that.

If, for whatever reason, Cosby does not return to play basketball for the Illini, I'm not exactly sure I'd miss him this year or next.

In fact, would you trade potentially the best incoming freshman guard in the Big Ten conference next season in JCL for Cosby's 29% FG, 31% from 3-PT, as far as minutes go?

In the 7 losses sustained while Cosby was in the lineup this season, he shot a combined 9/56 from the field in those games, registering only two double figure scoring games since the schedule got tough (beginning with the Baylor game). That's 16% FG shooting!!

To think there is no direct correlation between those losses and Cosby's horrendous shooting is beyond shortsighted. And although Starks' shooting woes certainly didn't help matters much in those losses, he still shot it at a 29% clip by comparison.

I'd rather give ALL of Cosby's 25.3 minutes per game next season to JCL, and it's not even close! Moreover, it COULD sway a kid like Lovett to pick Illinois with the vacated guard spot. I'm assuming Rice and Starks' minutes next year will be absorbed by Abrams, Tate & Jordan, so Cosby for JCL would be a perfect swap.

If Abrams' preseason injury played a role in Evans ultimately choosing OSU over us, it would only be karmic retribution that possibly losing Cosby might result in us perhaps landing a stud PG like Lovett.

Either way, Nunn, Abrams, JCL, Tate and Jordan is plenty of backcourt talent for next season. And we'd have a deep frontcourt rotation in Hill, Black, Williams, Paul, Finke and Colbert/Morgan.

As stated before, I like the potential of next year's team over the talent composition of this season's roster, especially if we can pick up a stud PG in trade for a player in Cosby who has not lived up to his billing, both on and off the court.

:illinois:
I am with ya. In fact it also helps get AJ some tick and moves Malcolm to some guard minutes so that Leron gets more tick. If Cosby does not come back we will miss his experience and his defense/rebounding, but the long-term success of the Illini will not be hindered at all, in fact it might be enhanced.

My memory must be fuzzy. I just remember him scoring 30-some points against Eric Gordon and IU.

At least I think I remember that.
He did go off in that game, but that doesn't mean he didn't have typical freshman struggles. He played a lot though out of necessity and it helped accelerate his development

Yikes. Here's to hoping Yogi & Troy Williams see their stock jump between now and then.
They lose the three point shooter from Illinois State who has been pretty valuable to them this year. But they do return most of their team.

He did go off in that game, but that doesn't mean he didn't have typical freshman struggles. He played a lot though out of necessity and it helped accelerate his development
This. Dmac struggled quite a bit early, but was pretty huge for us late in the season. He also had a monster game against Purdue in the BTT, which got us into the finals. We almost ran the table there to steal a NCAAT bid.

It would be nice to have another deep BTT run this year, but let's hope that it is to help us with seeding, not to get in.

There is still a lot on the table for us this season. I'm not sure why folks are disappointed. I know we had high hopes, but this group is really starting to salvage what might have been a disaster. There is only one sure loss left on the schedule and that is Sunday. After that, every game is winnable.

None of our freshman for the past two years have been truly ready to play serious minutes until late in January.
True, but none of them has been ranked as highly as JCL either. And LaLu plays a really competitive schedule, so he's playing against better competition than most HS players. I'm sure he'll take some time to acclimate, but I don't think it's unfair to expect more of an immediate impact from him.

True, but none of them has been ranked as highly as JCL either. And LaLu plays a really competitive schedule, so he's playing against better competition than most HS players. I'm sure he'll take some time to acclimate, but I don't think it's unfair to expect more of an immediate impact from him.
Immediate, no. However, I expect he will have a Nunn-like freshman season, with a chance to be even better.

Quick look at the better NBA Draft sites says no. He is ranked mid second round if he chooses to leave, but they must not have any indication that he will go if not in first round. Interestingly, they have Yogi ranked about the same, but have him in the draft early second round.

They probably will both explore but not hire an agent.
Interesting. Thanks. I thought he looked a lot better than that the few times I saw him.

Los Angeles
Without looking up his measurements, I thought he looked too small for a 2 guard.
That's exactly it. Good, not great athlete. A little slow laterally on the defensive end. He'll benefit if Yogi departs, because his stock is static as an off guard. Needs to show combo capability like Russell (good luck with that).

Without looking up his measurements, I thought he looked too small for a 2 guard.
That's exactly it. Good, not great athlete. A little slow laterally on the defensive end. He'll benefit if Yogi departs, because his stock is static as an off guard. Needs to show combo capability like Russell (good luck with that).
Ok. I thought his wingspan was ample for the 2. I didn't know that he was too slow.

Kirksville, MO
Haha, I thought of that last night. What a story that would be. I think there will be 5th years higher rated though.
Not that you could get as a walk-on (potentially).

I agree that JCL may be ready early...JG seems to bring them (freshman) in slowly, perhaps slower than is really necessary ... I'm thinking last year with KN and MH while we were on the january losing streak....he's integrated LB much faster this year, though.

JCL will play and he will play early. He won't start (at least at the beginning of the year) as the starting 5 should be Tate/Abrahms at the PG, Nunn at SG, Hill at SF, Black at PF and the C will be up for grabs between Paul, Morgan, Finke and Colbert. I hope Paul battles and wins the job but who knows how everyone will progress this offseason. If JCL can just settle in and come off the bench and provide minutes early in the season I think he will have a good freshman year. The good thing is with what we have returning (barring injury) we don't need him to start right away. The team next year will have depth at the 2,3 and 4. I think between JCL, Jordan and Williams we will be very happy with the freshman class next year. We will finally have a lot of guys that can fill it up in a hurry. :chief:

I expect him to make an immediate impact

he makes shots and he has been seasoned by his HS national schedule

He's not going to get the minutes to be Trimble or Blackmon but he's going to be efficient and productive. moreso than Cosby

Status
Not open for further replies.