Illini Basketball 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that Northwestern-Dayton game back to back with our game? I'm wondering if tickets will be sold individually for each game or together as a 2 game event.

If it is a 2 game event, attendance could be ugly. In the past Illinois games at the UC were like $50 minimum IIRC. So I'm imagining tickets are going to be around $80 minimum if you have to buy for 2 games.

dsboyce

Golden, IL
I haven't seen this mentioned here. Sam Maniscalco was on the Tay & J show last week. He said that Nunn's departure is "addition by subtraction" and that it will help with the comradery and cohesiveness of the team. Does SM know something we don't or was he just prattling on?

I haven't seen this mentioned here. Sam Maniscalco was on the Tay & J show last week. He said that Nunn's departure is "addition by subtraction" and that it will help with the comradery and cohesiveness of the team. Does SM know something we don't or was he just prattling on?

Unfortunately, I have heard similar things as well. From a former player.

I don't think SM would be just saying those things in the public if there wasn't some truth to it, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only kidding, I'm not really surprised that a former player would say that but to say it on the radio is whole different level. It had to be pretty bad for a former player to say that publicly. I really hope Nunn get his life on the right track but I think the whole situation really says something about his character at the time, and this is even more evidence that the right decision was made. It would be hard to find a team that doesn't have some issues, but I hope that the worst we have to deal with in the future is some underage drinking and smoking weed. I'd be thrilled if that is it.

Sure... just like Ray Rice's departure.

Lucy727

Des Plaines, Il

Wasn't Nunn having trouble playing with Ray Rice? I know a lot of posters on here complained about Ray not being able to play with Nunn and Hill, but maybe it was Nunn not being able to play with Rice. I'd take Ray over Nunn any day.

I don't remember anything public about Rice messing up team unity. It was all message board chatter that started because we had a good record with Rice injured.

I agree with others. SM wouldn't say those thinks publicly without substance.

I don't remember anything public about Rice messing up team unity. It was all message board chatter that started because we had a good record with Rice injured.

I agree with others. SM wouldn't say those thinks publicly without substance.

I know quite a few players thought very highly of Nunn as a teammate. It did not obviously make him a model citizen off the court, but he was popular with his teammates.

You will not find much as far as teammates having a problem with Nunn or disrupting team unity in his 3 years here. Not even in message boards. Again, he was a popular teammate, but had his faults as a person.

Grass is always greener on the other side... fans were brutal on Rice (i.e., was a cancer in the clubhouse) whereas Nunn/Hill had good chemistry between them (hmm... what happened to that?) and could not wait for him to be gone. His departure, ended up... subtraction by subtraction.

I remember people were saying "addition by subtraction" for many players. TJ Wheeler (had his off court incidents), Sergio, Pruitt, McCamey, Rice, etc. At the end, their departure was definitely not "addition by subtraction" even when we did get better.

I know quite a few players thought very highly of Nunn as a teammate. It did not obviously make him a model citizen off the court, but he was popular with his teammates.

You will not find much as far as teammates having a problem with Nunn or disrupting team unity in his 3 years here. Not even in message boards. Again, he was a popular teammate, but had his faults as a person.

Grass is always greener on the other side... fans were brutal on Rice (i.e., was a cancer in the clubhouse) whereas Nunn/Hill had good chemistry between them (hmm... what happened to that?) and could not wait for him to be gone. His departure, ended up... subtraction by subtraction.

I remember people were saying "addition by subtraction" for many players. TJ Wheeler (had his off court incidents), Sergio, Pruitt, McCamey, Rice, etc. At the end, their departure was definitely not "addition by subtraction" even when we did get better.

I can confirm this is not true. Not 100% anyways.

dsboyce

Golden, IL

The difference is that the other situations were inferences by fans. This is a former player saying it. Granted, he never actually played with Nunn, but it's not unreasonable to think he might have some "inside" info.

I thought the same thing after Sam left.

I agree, albeit from a guy that played 1 year @ UI and was a pretty poor performer for a 9th place B1G team.

He was pretty good before his ankles gave out.

What does him being a "poor performer" have to do with his opinion? He's allowed to state what he's heard just like you and I on here. Only difference is that he's putting a name/face to his opinions/what he heard.

FYI, I agree that he shouldn't have stated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree. Even if it's 100% true, no reason to say that stuff publicly.
If it were a well-known 4-year Illini, I might be willing to give some slack on commenting on the current team. A 5th-year transfer, though? Agree that it was rather unprofessional for SM to speak up like this publicly.

(even though I've suspected what he's said to be true for a while now)

dsboyce

Golden, IL
If it were a well-known 4-year Illini, I might be willing to give some slack on commenting on the current team. A 5th-year transfer, though? Agree that it was rather unprofessional for SM to speak up like this publicly.

In fairness to Sam, he is a semi-regular on the radio show. Also, he was asked about Nunn. It's not like he just decided to start talking about it on his own.

Except that Sam knows a lot of Illinois basketball people from AAU and high school basketball. It's not like he is some out of state player that didn't know anyone. He's pretty well respected.

Your comment reads a bit naive

Status
Not open for further replies.