Illini Basketball 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Great that TA has come back. Tons of very hard work. As this will be his last hurrah, I'm sure he wants to go out with a flourish. Just hope his body doesn't let him down. No telling how effective he'll be, but, if the body is willing, I believe he can be a very effective player for us.

So what's the total increase in Malcolm's vertical? (from where he started to where he's at now) I saw it mentioned a few times in the thread, but then there was another mention of him adding a few inches.

Anybody want to take a stab at an updated rotation for next year?

Unlike previous years, the front court is relatively stacked:

5 - Thorne, Morgan
4 - Finke, Black

Hill should finally be able to spend a majority of his time at the 3, but the team is relatively thin in terms of depth at the 2 and 3 spots with the loss of Nunn.

3 - Hill, DJW, Nichols
2 - JCL, Jordan

Assuming Abrams is healthy, point guard should be well taken care of.

1 - Abrams, Lucas, Tate

Here's the thing...12 players are listed above and Groce usually only goes 7-8 deep. Who sits?

My thoughts: I don't see much movement at the 4 and 5 spots. All four players will get significant minutes, which leaves few for anyone else. A battle is probably ongoing between DJW and Nichols for the backup spot at the 3. The loser probably doesn't see the floor much. Similarly, a battle between Tate and Lucas for the backup PG spot is ongoing. The loser probably doesn't see the floor much. Down to 9. Jordan almost has to backup JCL out of necessity, so hopefully, he'll take the typical freshman to sophomore leap. Does Groce play 9?

My hope is that Hill, JCL, and Abrams are able to get rest early in the year. From the looks of it, they'll be counted on to play 30+ minutes a game if healthy...Will be interesting to hear about the progress of Jordan, DJW, Nichols, and Lucas during the offseason as they're the wild cards for minutes in my opinion. Thoughts?

89illinigrad

Chicago

5 - Thorne, Morgan
4 - Finke, Black

Hill should finally be able to spend a majority of his time at the 3, but the team is relatively thin in terms of depth at the 2 and 3 spots with the loss of Nunn.

3 - Hill, DJW, Nichols
2 - JCL, Jordan

1 - Abrams, Lucas, Tate

Here's the thing...12 players are listed above and Groce usually only goes 7-8 deep. Who sits?

My thoughts: I don't see much movement at the 4 and 5 spots. All four players will get significant minutes, which leaves few for anyone else. A battle is probably ongoing between DJW and Nichols for the backup spot at the 3. The loser probably doesn't see the floor much. Similarly, a battle between Tate and Lucas for the backup PG spot is ongoing. The loser probably doesn't see the floor much. Down to 9. Jordan almost has to backup JCL out of necessity, so hopefully, he'll take the typical freshman to sophomore leap. Does Groce play 9?

My hope is that Hill, JCL, and Abrams are able to get rest early in the year. From the looks of it, they'll be counted on to play 30+ minutes a game if healthy...Will be interesting to hear about the progress of Jordan, DJW, Nichols, and Lucas during the offseason as they're the wild cards for minutes in my opinion. Thoughts?

IIRC, Groce has stated in the past that he like to go up to 10 deep and play a faster pace. This probably was not possible last year, with all the injuries, but it did allow the freshmen to gain some valuable experience last year.

I could see each of the starters averaging no more than 25 minutes this year, with the exception of Hill and possibly JCL, our two biggest offensive threats.

This is how I see the minutes shaking out:

C - Thorne (25), Morgan (15)
PF - Black (20), Finke (15), Morgan (5)
SF - HIll (25), Nichols (10), DJW (5)
SG - JCL (25), Jordan (10), Nichols (5)
PG - Abrams (20), TJL (15), Tate (5)

So, basically, if Groce goes with a 10 man rotation, I could see Tate and DJW getting the short end of the minutes. However, Groce could always mix and match, based on matchups as well.

Overall, barring a rash of injuries, this is a deep team and even if there is an injury or two, they should be able to handle it.

Serious question: Does Mav start over Thorne?

I think you want to pair Mav with Black and Thorne with Finke, as I think those pairings complement each other better. I could see rotating starting frontcourts, depending on matchups. But at this point I'm not 100% convinced Thorne offers more than Mav.

89illinigrad

Chicago

I think you want to pair Mav with Black and Thorne with Finke, as I think those pairings complement each other better. I could see rotating starting frontcourts, depending on matchups. But at this point I'm not 100% convinced Thorne offers more than Mav.

One thing Thorne gives you more than Morgan is rebounding, something we were sorely lacking last year. In nearly the same average minutes per game, Thorne average 8.5 rpg to Mav's 3.5. While Mav did improve as the season went on, I still think Thorne is the better rebounder.

I do like you idea of pairing Thorne with Finke and Mav with Black. But I also think that pairing Thorne and Black together gives the Illini a much better rebounding team than any other combo.

So what's the total increase in Malcolm's vertical? (from where he started to where he's at now) I saw it mentioned a few times in the thread, but then there was another mention of him adding a few inches.

Word is pre-summer training with Fletcher he was measured at 33" and was measured a hair under 38" a month ago. Apparently has added over a half inch since. Fletcher mentioned in an article his hope was to get him in that 38-39 inch territory, and it's looking like he may overachieve.

Last edited:

No way Hill plays less than 30 min, he'll probably be more like 35.

I'd probably go with DJW over Nichols at this point, given that Nichols won't be eligible until mid season. After that, I'm not sure either will really get a lot of minutes, it could be based on need, i.e. DJW for offense, KN for defense.

positions of strength

Team is not thin at the 2-3 It's that the loss of KN who should have could have been a 1st - 3rd team all B10 is a major loss but the 2-3 is our strongest positions with MH & JLC.

89illinigrad

Chicago
No way Hill plays less than 30 min, he'll probably be more like 35.

I'd probably go with DJW over Nichols at this point, given that Nichols won't be eligible until mid season. After that, I'm not sure either will really get a lot of minutes, it could be based on need, i.e. DJW for offense, KN for defense.

I could possibly see Groce going "BIG" and putting Hill at the 2 (when JCL is on the bench) thus getting Kipper or DJW more time at the 3.

Jordan was probably the low man on the totem pole last year, so he will need to step up this season to get more playing time. Based on all the videos we've seen of him working on his game, as well as the Fletcher videos, he doesn't appear to be shy about putting in the work.

I think that Abrams can play some 2 as well.

5 - Thorne, Morgan
4 - Finke, Black

3 - Hill, DJW, Nichols
2 - JCL, Jordan

1 - Abrams, Lucas, Tate

starting

You are right on. The only change could be Black starting Finke backing up.

IIRC, Groce has stated in the past that he like to go up to 10 deep and play a faster pace. This probably was not possible last year, with all the injuries, but it did allow the freshmen to gain some valuable experience last year.

I could see each of the starters averaging no more than 25 minutes this year, with the exception of Hill and possibly JCL, our two biggest offensive threats.

So, basically, if Groce goes with a 10 man rotation, I could see Tate and DJW getting the short end of the minutes. However, Groce could always mix and match, based on matchups as well.

Overall, barring a rash of injuries, this is a deep team and even if there is an injury or two, they should be able to handle it.

For me, If DJW and Tate only play 5 minutes a game, I would redshirt both of them. It would balance out classes better.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
I think that Abrams can play some 2 as well.

Assuming everyone is healthy, PG is clearly the weakest position on the team. I can't imagine any of them playing the 2, except specific end of game type scenarios.

The exciting part of this work with Fletcher is we're only about 2/3 of the way through the summer and about 3 months until full time practice. Depending on the type of lifting/explosion programs he's using he probably still has time to get the guys through 2-3 full cycles before practice starts. There could be considerable growth still to come.

For me, If DJW and Tate only play 5 minutes a game, I would redshirt both of them. It would balance out classes better.

You only redshirt players who can help in the future. Tate doesn't fit that bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense to anyone anywhere and with all due respect...
Tate's biggest value is that he will be providing a scholarship opening for someone in the 2017 recruiting class.

I'm with you on the Thorne/Finke and Mav/Black complementary pairings. Starting off, I think it's going to be Finke's job to lose since Black will be out for the first 2+4 games of the season with his suspension. Bringing Black off the bench may be a good thing. He's a high energy guy which can spark your team and also take advantage of some reserve matchups where he would have the edge in strength and skill. It might also limit his foul troubles if he can get a feel for how the game is being played and officiated before he hits the floor.

Mike

C-U Townie
Luckily I can squat well over 2x bodyweight at 200lbs. Still didn't fully prevent injury. ;)

You're one bad (old?) dude then Banana! ;)
2x ATG, or parallel? Either is an accomplishment.
Squat is my worst lift by far, and I'm only at 1.4X (but climbing). Oldest kid is 2X at 200# though. ;)

Last edited:
Word is pre-summer training with Fletcher he was measured at 33" and was measured a hair under 38" a month ago. Apparently has added over a half inch since. Fletcher mentioned in an article his hope was to get him in that 38-39 inch territory, and it's looking like he may overachieve.

Impressive.

Thanks!:thumb:

Mike

C-U Townie
I guess what I'm saying is plenty of people still won't recognize him as that caliber of athlete. So used to seeing all these naturally explosive players who ride that potential their whole lives. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who's transformed themselves at this level from a sub-par athlete to someone who may legitimately meet League standards when it's all said and done. Pure heart & hustle.

Just guessing since Hill has been here his vertical is up somewhere around 10 inches? That kind of increase is a big deal. Hope these changes are in the recruiting brochure. ;)

The #1 goal of any coach is to get his best players as much playing time as possible. That's why most coaches end up only playing 7 or 8 guys. We know 5 of those guys should be Hill, JCL, Black, Finke, and Thorne. And Morgan will be Thorne's backup. So 2 of Nichols, DJW, Jordan, and Lucas will likely be a step above the rest and earn the rest of the PT. My bet is on DJW and Lucas.

The good thing about this group is the flexibility. If Lucas isn't ready then Hill can slide to PG. Hill could also play the 2. Jordan can play the 2 or 3. DJW can play the 3 or 4 and I'm assuming Kipper can too.

Status
Not open for further replies.