Illini Basketball 2016-2017

Record

If the rating is accurate and we win against lower rated teams and lose against higher rated 10-3 non conference, 11-7 conference 21-10 overall.

Its finally (almost) time to play games that count !
I am so ready to move on from the off season to the real season.
Not really a recruiting fan, more like a basketball. Let's hoop !

Anyone think someone could possibly RS this year? Feel like we are pretty well stacked at the wing, but i don't think you can RS DJW...

Cameron Liss is redshirting and Drew Cayce is also sitting out a season. For the scholarship guys, I hope not. Because the only scenario I see for one of those guys redshirting would be due to injury.

Something I really like from Groce in that interview is that he has weekly meetings with the senior guys. Senior leadership has been something that JG has been preaching since he's been here and I feel that his seniors vs. weber's seniors seem to be more vocal and have better leadership characteristics. With 6 seniors on the roster, its good to see them all on board.

Anyone think someone could possibly RS this year? Feel like we are pretty well stacked at the wing, but i don't think you can RS DJW...

Pretty sure that the only one who could still redshirt is Lucas. The NCAA allows first year players to play in exhibition games and still redshirt. However, non-first year players burn a year of eligibility once they play in the exhibition games.

Pretty sure that the only one who could still redshirt is Lucas. The NCAA allows first year players to play in exhibition games and still redshirt. However, non-first year players burn a year of eligibility once they play in the exhibition games.

Even for Lucas, he is not a likely candidate to RS IMO. There is more and more pressure to win this year and need available options at PG, especially given that Abrams is coming back from two surgeries and two years of inactivity. Even if TJL does not make the main rotation, having a few minutes here and there and also during pre-conference will help his development.

Even for Lucas, he is not a likely candidate to RS IMO. There is more and more pressure to win this year and need available options at PG, especially given that Abrams is coming back from two surgeries and two years of inactivity. Even if TJL does not make the main rotation, having a few minutes here and there and also during pre-conference will help his development.

Agreed. I have never considered that he would redshirt. I hold out hope that he will eventually take Tate's minutes as he progresses after 8 months of not playing. I just meant that he was the only one who could redshirt now after the two exhibition games.

Agreed. I have never considered that he would redshirt. I hold out hope that he will eventually take Tate's minutes as he progresses after 8 months of not playing. I just meant that he was the only one who could redshirt now after the two exhibition games.

I agree, I did not disagree with your statement, just adding to it that even our own single candidate was not likely.

Well, technically Black and Nichols could still sit out, but those would make even less sense than Lucas. :)

That's true it wouldn't really be a red shirt as he'd lose a year of eligibility at this point, my bad.

Yeah, it will not happen, so it is more about meaningless technicalities anyway.

Just on meaningless technicalities, can Kipper even RS? Or is it that the transfer year last year makes it impossible due to the 4/5 rule? If he decided to RS and not play second semester, does he get full 4 years, or would he have 3 years (meaning that he voluntarily misses half year)?

Just on meaningless technicalities, can Kipper even RS? Or is it that the transfer year last year makes it impossible due to the 4/5 rule? If he decided to RS and not play second semester, does he get full 4 years, or would he have 3 years (meaning that he voluntarily misses half year)?

I'm thinking since he lost the appeal, that means his 5 year clock started last fall @ Tulane. So he could sit out the rest of this season but would only have 3 years left. As has been discussed around here previously, there's no half years of eligibility, so playing this year uses up his "4th" season.

I'm thinking since he lost the appeal, that means his 5 year clock started last fall @ Tulane. So he could sit out the rest of this season but would only have 3 years left. As has been discussed around here previously, there's no half years of eligibility, so playing this year uses up his "4th" season.

That's what I am thinking as well, if the 5-yr clock started last year, he does not even have the (technical) option to RS. He either plays this year and gets 3.5 years, or he does not play second semester and has just 3 years remaining. In that case, it would not qualify as a RS either, since there is no ability to get that time back, meaning it would be more of his decision to no play, than a RS.

That's what I am thinking as well, if the 5-yr clock started last year, he does not even have the (technical) option to RS. He either plays this year and gets 3.5 years, or he does not play second semester and has just 3 years remaining. In that case, it would not qualify as a RS either, since there is no ability to get that time back, meaning it would be more of his decision to no play, than a RS.

Right, I made the same mistake with both, thanks for making it very clear. :)

I was thinking more on the lines of combes' comment about playing in the exhibition games, they haven't used this season of eligibility yet but they don't have the choice available.

Pomeroy bases so much off the previous season that it has little value until about a third of the way through the new season. imo

While that sounds reasonable, our final 2016 ranking was 125th, and he's moved us up 55 spots for 2017 before we've played a game.