Illini Basketball 2016-2017

Great article to read about Jalen Coleman-Lands. Inspiring person, and my new favorite player on the team!

I was browsing through RealTime RPI and a couple of things popped up. (Disclosure: I don't know if Realtime RPI is the best source, but I do believe it is a good source. Certainly, KenPom is a nice barometer as it gives a more accurate picture on team efficiency on offense and defense, and we're ranked #71, 10th in the BIG) I also realize that the current rankings in realtime RPI do not tell the whole story and will fluctuate from the final rankings, but they're beginning to become more accurate than previously in the season.

We're currently (44) in Realtime RPI. Our only remaining opponents outside of realtime RPI currently are Iowa (125) and Rutgers (126). Thus, our strong strength of schedule (16) isn't going to drop much, if at all.

If WVU (22) and FSU (5) can remain in the top 25, those two losses will not hurt our chances to make the tourney in relation to other bubble teams (the most likely and optimistic forecast for our team - the bubble).

Our home loss to Winthrop (99) is a blemish, but not a glaring one, and every bubble team will have blemishes. That's why they're on the bubble.

Our neutral win vs. VCU (33), home win vs. NC St. (26) and neutral win vs. BYU (98) helps mitigate the Winthrop loss.

Clearly, there are many more losses remaining on our schedule. Currently, our team is not expected to win more games then they lose versus the tough remaining schedule. However, there are several reasons for optimism moving forward.

Malcolm Hill is good and he has stepped up his game, played more aggressively, and taken the ball to the rim with a purpose.

JCL was hurt in the preseason, which probably set him back a bit. He has stepped up his defense and his shot and shot selection is improving. He's also put the ball on the floor more than he did last season, and driving occasionally.

Morgan has asserted himself and playing more physically. He'll never be on the All-Defense team, but he is a pretty good offensive post player.

Groce has shown himself to play the rookies eventually. He did the same thing with Malcolm and Kendrick their Freshman years and the team improved. It looks like Groce is going to go with TJL and Kipper a little bit more moving forward and that will help the team immensely on both ends of the floor. Tate was not a threat on the offensive end. TJL is. We'll play 5 on 5 (fair) basketball when he plays over Tate. Kipper brings improved defense over anyone he plays in front of. Anytime he plays our defense will improve. Both of these developments will help our KenPom ratings.

Now, we still have to win 10 more games to make the Dance. Will we? I don't know. But, I'm optimistic that we will. Believe it or not, we are improving. We have not played our best basketball yet.

If WVU (22) and FSU (5) can remain in the top 25, those two losses will not hurt our chances to make the tourney in relation to other bubble teams (the most likely and optimistic forecast for our team - the bubble).

Top 5, top 25 top 50 doesn't really matter. It's a loss for us and as long as they are in the top 100, it's not a bad loss. And they aren't going to drop out of the top 100.

The Pontiff

Chicago, IL
I predict we win out in the non conference. Somewhere in the first 4 conference games Kipper will make a huge impact and earn his spot in the rotation. Malcolm and Leron will continue to throw up 15-25 ppg and 5-10 rebs, Tracy will stay healthy and run the offense while teach TJL the ropes and we will go 11-7 in the conference. Making us a comfortable 6 or 7 seed in the big dance.

*finishes orange kool aid*

Wow, nice job with the first two predictions!

ritster

Wheaton, IL
West Suburban Illini Club is having an event on January 24th from 6-9pm at Mullens in Lisle IL. All are invited. Alumni and Illini fans.

Dee Brown, Jerry Hester, Robert Archibald, and Judy Hsu from ABC 7 News are confirmed and will be there as famous alumni.

We will be replaying the famous 2005 Elite Eight game against Arizona (we want to guarantee an Illini win)

Cost is $15 per person and includes free food and $0.50 cent drafts and raffles . After January 20 and at the door it is $20 per person.

Buy your tickets NOW by going to this link. http://www.westsuburbanillini.org/article.html?aid=259

Deleted member 547530

D
Interesting Dee is going to be there. Would love to get his personal perspective on this years team.

ritster

Wheaton, IL
Interesting Dee is going to be there. Would love to get his personal perspective on this years team.

I had lunch with him on Monday. He let me know. Please show up and you can ask him in person. Dee is very approachable.

Deleted member 547530

D
Thanks ritster. I think I will attend. Know he is incredibly personable, just didn't want to ask him a question he would consider to be out of bounds.

ritster

Wheaton, IL
Correction to my post #762 in this thread. Early bird has expired. It is $20 per person.. I apologize for any inconvenience.

West Suburban Illini Club is having an event on January 24th from 6-9pm at Mullens in Lisle IL. All are invited. Alumni and Illini fans.

Dee Brown, Jerry Hester, Robert Archibald, and Judy Hsu from ABC 7 News are confirmed and will be there as famous alumni.

We will be replaying the famous 2005 Elite Eight game against Arizona (we want to guarantee an Illini win)

Cost is $20 per person and includes free food and $0.50 cent drafts and raffles . Ticket may also be purchased at the door. Currently we have 60 tickets sold and we expect a good walk up crowd.

Buy your tickets NOW by going to this link. http://www.westsuburbanillini.org/article.html?aid=259