Illini Basketball 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to put into words why I think 80ppg would be hard for us to accomplish but it seems to be too late for my brain to function. The moral of my thoughts are it's not impossible, just tough. Big ten D's load up in transition by limiting how many they send to the glass. BU wants his guys to be patient if they don't score in transition. It can be done, but doesn't seem likely. I think we cap at about 77.

I'm trying to put into words why I think 80ppg would be hard for us to accomplish but it seems to be too late for my brain to function. The moral of my thoughts are it's not impossible, just tough. Big ten D's load up in transition by limiting how many they send to the glass. BU wants his guys to be patient if they don't score in transition. It can be done, but doesn't seem likely. I think we cap at about 77.

Did you consider the Uniderwood special? cap at 79 if you didn't

I agree. The Big Ten is an entirely different animal than the Big 12. Michigan State and Wisconsin don't win a lot of their games with scores like 88-80 like Kansas and Iowa State routinely do. It's just a different style of play from top to bottom. I think BU's system cane be successful. It just might take some time and a few adjustments.

Take it with a grain of salt. Stars are handed out like religious pamphlets now. Much different rating styles 15 years ago.

Don't understand easier, tougher, or just different? Augustine was vastly underrated based on his value to the team. Also big difference based on value to team vs NBA prospects with star system. Not sure defense is as important to rating as offensive stats.

Is this your point?

Don't understand easier, tougher, or just different? Augustine was vastly underrated based on his value to the team. Also big difference based on value to team vs NBA prospects with star system. Not sure defense is as important to rating as offensive stats.

Is this your point?

I'm just saying its not comparing apples to apples. First and foremost, rankings are more concrete now-- theres a lot more services and money spent by these companies to ranked/rate players. Second, even going back 5 or 6 years, you can see how a borderline 4 star today would've been a 3 star 15 years ago. Theres just more stars handed out today.

I guess I'm just trying to say even though we have 3 4* players coming in, two of them would've almost certainly been labeled a 3* and the 3* we have could've easily been unranked or a 2*. This is a good class, but never base it off of stars.

Mostly, I just wanted to throw out there between this years class and 2002 that there are more differences than similarities.

Then what do you suggest? Start Ebo? I just don't see we can get another high profile 6.8+ transfer.

KN + LB + MF may just make up together the lack of true bigs. We were way worse last season because in many games we have MF+MM only to use.

The alternative would be to start KN at the "4" spot.

Then what do you suggest? Start Ebo? I just don't see we can get another high profile 6.8+ transfer.

KN + LB + MF may just make up together the lack of true bigs. We were way worse last season because in many games we have MF+MM only to use.

1-4: top 4 out of tjl, tf, ms, ma, AJ, kn, dmw, mf when we have no choice

5: best of mf, lb and spicy g

Last edited:

And that is a great way to protect our smaller team. Play fast and teams will have to make a choice...get numbers back or crash the glass. Most teams will choose to get numbers back.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
1-4: top 4 out of tjl, tf, ms, ma, AJ, kn, dmw, mf when we have no choice

5: best of mf, lb and spicy g

Curious of your opinion.

I agree that MF and LB are going to be primarily 5's. I assume there will be times that we have to go big from a match up stand point. Assuming one is paired with Spicy G, or they play limited minutes together, which of LB or MF is more suited to play limited minutes at the 4 on offense? I assume your opinion is MF, since you list him in the 1 - 4 category.

Curious of your opinion.

I agree that MF and LB are going to be primarily 5's. I assume there will be times that we have to go big from a match up stand point. Assuming one is paired with Spicy G, or they play limited minutes together, which of LB or MF is more suited to play limited minutes at the 4 on offense? I assume your opinion is MF, since you list him in the 1 - 4 category.

Finke for sure. Unless Leron really improves his passing and handling. That would be a great problem to have.

Exactly. This should just be reposted every day until the season starts.

lol why its wrong. Black is not going to play the 5 as much as he plays at the 4, and yes for you who think you are experts on BU system he will play the 5 as well, and Yes when you have watched those videos of SFA they use 1 2 3 4 5 to say who is where, so you experts know where the 4 is

Finke is by far the best post, pinch post high post, stretch 4 , Center we have starting the season , so I would sure think he is going to start at the 5 what ever you want to call it. If black is not one of the other 4 people starting I will be shocked , to the point of thinking Groce has came back to coach

Last edited:
lol why its wrong. Black is not going to play the 5 as much as he plays at the 4, and yes for you who think you are experts on BU system he will play the 5 as well, and Yes when you have watched those videos of SFA they use 1 2 3 4 5 to say who is where, so you experts know where the 4 is

Finke is by far the best post, pinch post high post, stretch 4 , Center we have starting the season , so I would sure think he is going to start at the 5 what ever you want to call it. If black is not one of the other 4 people starting I will be shocked , to the point of thinking Groce has came back to coach

:thumb:

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Surefire starters:
Kipper
Alstork

Other than that it's pretty open. The 5 will be one of LB or MF, obviously, but the other guard spots are pretty wide open.

Surefire starters:
Kipper
Alstork

Other than that it's pretty open. The 5 will be one of LB or MF, obviously, but the other guard spots are pretty wide open.

No way is Kipper a surefire starter. Especially if Black and Finke start at 4/5

Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Black
Finke

Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Black
Finke

Wow, I am getting so excited. I think we'll run teams out of the gym with this lineup along with the depth of the bench.

Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Black
Finke
Not sure it matters who starts....under BU at OSU, he played 10 players at over 13 minutes per game. Even Evans played under 30 minutes per game past year...barely.

Make the other team uncomfortable on D and wear them out with speed on offense will be our recipe for success regardless of who starts or who comes off the bench.

Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Black
Finke

Since a lot of people seem to really like throwing out this lineup, if we saw it, given current skill sets it would be:

Offense
Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Finke
Black

Defense
Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Black
Finke

Depth wise I still see this as a last resort with only spicey g behind black/Finke as prime guys at the offensive 5

Status
Not open for further replies.