Illini Basketball 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Since a lot of people seem to really like throwing out this lineup, if we saw it, given current skill sets it would be:

Offense
Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Finke
Black

Defense
Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Black
Finke

Depth wise I still see this as a last resort with only spicey g behind black/Finke as prime guys at the offensive 5

Totally agree. This might be the best line up we could throw out there, but I can't imagine we would ever see it in the first half of a game.

Maybe if Spicey G proves himself a capable replacement, and there is no foul trouble for LB, MF, and Spicey in the first half, you could see it used in some stretches in the second half.

Way too risky to play 2 foul prone guys (LB and MF) together with the only backup a green Freshman 5 who, if history holds, will also be foul prone.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Way too risky to play 2 foul prone guys (LB and MF) together with the only backup a green Freshman 5 who, if history holds, will also be foul prone.

To date Finke has not been foul prone. He has averaged right about 20 minutes per game both seasons and his first year had only 61 fouls (1.8 avg) and had a pretty good size drop down to 44 this last season (1.4 avg).

An increase in minutes this season combined with guarding the opponents 5 most of the time may increase those numbers, but hopefully not to the point that it becomes problematic.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
To date Finke has not been foul prone. He has averaged right about 20 minutes per game both seasons and his first year had only 61 fouls (1.8 avg) and had a pretty good size drop down to 44 this last season (1.4 avg).

An increase in minutes this season combined with guarding the opponents 5 most of the time may increase those numbers, but hopefully not to the point that it becomes problematic.

Good information. I didn't bother looking it up before I posted, my mistake.

Mix may be Finke /Nichols. And Black /Greg E and change with match ups. MSU will be a tough matchup regardless.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
Unless Ebo can really impress during the offseason I don't see any way Black and Finke start together. We will need both playing ~25 minutes/game. As a necessity both will need to play the 5 for prob 15+ minutes/game assuming that Ebo can give max 10 minutes at the 5 per game. I absolutely see them both playing together just have a hard time seeing them being on the floor too much together due to having limited other options at the 5.

Now if Ebo does well and can put in 10+ minutes consistently, I could see them starting together and player together a lot more. Just don't see that happening right away.

I think the most realistic starting 5 woulld be
TJL
Smith
Alstork
Nichols
Black

Also wouldn't be surprised if the exhibition game lineup was something like

TJL
Alstork
Jordan
Black
Finke

matt1all

Chicago, IL
e5e212893030f868d22a05a3d653c04c.jpg

Something something with or without shoes something growth plates still open something something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Smith is 6'4 or 5 Fraser is at least 6'3'

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
If Smith is 6'4 or 5 Fraser is at least 6'3'

Saw him at the UCF game next to my son who is 6'1" no shoes. Trent is definitely 6'2"+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way is Kipper a surefire starter. Especially if Black and Finke start at 4/5

Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Black
Finke

I have always thought this would be the starters since Mark and Mark committed , if we add Matic Vesel to go along with Spicey G makes me that much more sure it will be. get 20 mins out of Finke, and 20 out of the 2 FR bigs combined and who knows maybe the FR show enough by the big ten that you can slide Finke out at times. going to be very interesting I think if the different way the Staff works around guys. Adding Matic would really take the pressure off DaWill to just take his time and get fully healthy

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
No way is Kipper a surefire starter. Especially if Black and Finke start at 4/5

Lucas
Smith
Alstork
Black
Finke

I stand by my claim. Kipper and Alstork are the only two players for whom I don't see any reason they would not start. I think it's those two, a PG (probably Lucas), a big, and one other guy....my guess is Mark Smith.

Don't see LB playing much 4 in our offense. Don't think LB and MF will be on the court at the same time if it is avoidable this season. Don't think they fit with what BU is trying to do, it will be best to stagger their minutes.

Really excited of a lineup of Frazier Smith Alstork Nichols Finke..all 5 bring an ability to knock down the 3 ball, and Nichols/Alstork/Smith all bring great rebounding and athleticism on the wing, Frazier has great point guard skills and has a torch. Finke and Nichols spreading the floor, I think this could be one of our most explosive offensive lineups.

whovous

Washington, DC
OK, Trent will always be easy to recognize. Who are the other two?

I stand by my claim. Kipper and Alstork are the only two players for whom I don't see any reason they would not start. I think it's those two, a PG (probably Lucas), a big, and one other guy....my guess is Mark Smith.

Alstork and Smith are the sure starters, imo.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Really excited of a lineup of Frazier Smith Alstork Nichols Finke..all 5 bring an ability to knock down the 3 ball, and Nichols/Alstork/Smith all bring great rebounding and athleticism on the wing, Frazier has great point guard skills and has a torch. Finke and Nichols spreading the floor, I think this could be one of our most explosive offensive lineups.

Yep. With a smidgen of shooting luck, this offense will average 85+ppg. Maybe not through the conference schedule, but I bet they will drop 100+ on some of the early season tune ups. There's a BU track record that's pretty indicative, and we have offensive talent. It's going to be fast and fun! :illinois:

That is a really good line up. If Trent and Mark can D up at the level they need, Finke can hold his own defensively at the 5, and they can gang rebound, I could this being one of our most used lineups. Lots of ifs, but lots of potential.

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
Man oh man, I want so badly to be able to compare TF and MS to DWill and Dee. Here's to hoping

Man oh man, I want so badly to be able to compare TF and MS to DWill and Dee. Here's to hoping

I just hope they are as tight, seems to be when our teams have a closeness/bond they have been better over the last 40 years, like the 89 team, the Peoria guys, the 84 team, and of course Dee, DWill, Luther ,Auggie, and the Rev. Even Groces first year the guys seemed to get along on and off the court.

Deleted member 8213

D
That is a really good line up. If Trent and Mark can D up at the level they need, Finke can hold his own defensively at the 5, and they can gang rebound, I could this being one of our most used lineups. Lots of ifs, but lots of potential.

I have said it before and its just an opinion but I dont think Lucas will sit much.

I have said it before and its just an opinion but I dont think Lucas will sit much.

If Lucas is sitting I will be ecstatic because we will be getting great guard play in order to keep TJL on the bench. He is excellent defensively and passing and maybe an underrated shooter.

I just hope they are as tight, seems to be when our teams have a closeness/bond they have been better over the last 40 years, like the 89 team, the Peoria guys, the 84 team, and of course Dee, DWill, Luther ,Auggie, and the Rev. Even Groces first year the guys seemed to get along on and off the court.

I follow some of the team on Snapchat, including Tejon, TF, Damonte Williams, Leron and have hung out with the players because I have a friend that used to live next to them last year..Leron/Kipper/Tejon/Finke are always together and are really close. Seems like all the freshman get along...Damonte Williams and Kendrick Foster are the new "Big Men On Campus" for their Peoria ties. Seems like the team gets along very well. Mark Smith and TF are really close.

+1

I'd put Kipper and Alstork as a cut above, and I don't think we'll see TJL missing out of starter's minutes either.

Center is still a big question mark for me. Not sure how it gets sorted out, although it's hard for me to imagine a true freshman handling big minutes.

Not quite sure what to expect for 2nd guard spot and rotations for 1-3. Seems like we'll have a lot of options. Smith has great range, and I'm looking forward to the first time he hits a 25 footer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.