Illini Basketball 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29907

D
I like them all, if we beat them all :D

JG was, what, .400 against Izzo? True MSU is another year older - but we ran a DF (dumpster fire) Offense during his tenure.

Illi0105

Chicago, IL
Two of those I like, two I don't. The other one is meh (Wisky).

It'd be great to get this coaching regime off to a good start against Wisconsin. Just a bit of history - Illinois is 4-18 against Wisky AD (after Dee) including BTT games. John Groce never beat them during his tenure and the last Illini win against them was Jan 2, 2011.

It'd be great to get this coaching regime off to a good start against Wisconsin. Just a bit of history - Illinois is 4-18 against Wisky AD (after Dee) including BTT games. John Groce never beat them during his tenure and the last Illini win against them was Jan 2, 2011.

But, we beat them out for MFinke....:)

Man if Wisconsin wins double digit conference games this year, they might have some of the best talent scouts/developers in the nation. They return Happ and a load of role players. Such a huge test for Gard, now that its mostly his guys suiting up.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Just a painful reminder that Illinois basketball has not won 11 conference games since Chester Fraizer.

And that's why we have a different coach. :D

Would love to know BU'S true evaluation of the players at this point. Can probably believe the positives but he is not going to be negative on anyone in public interviews. Negatives vs last Year are the loss of MH and MM. Positives are development of TJL, LB, MF, and KN in addition to the new comers. Believe they are stronger than last year even before adding coaching. We did beat MSU, Mich, BYU and NW last year. Just did not have any consistency which I believe was the nice guy approach of JG. Have to admit that I am an optimist or would have completely abandoned them after 15-16. Last year just recorded and decided afterward if I wanted to watch.

Don't, however, believe they are in the same talent level as MSU. Hopefully they are competitive with the rest.

Coach Underwood has at least 20 wins in each of his first four seasons as a head coach. Don't think he wants that streak to end. So, I'm calling for at least 20 wins and a big dance appearance. Anything after that is gravy.

Main reason we will win 20, BU will get them there. The way the schedule falls will make a big difference. Having early B1G success, with our freshman getting a good dose of success , having not to depend on one scorer every game, I think , will the big thing towards our outcome. Like the games scheduled, let see who and where we playing when it gets cold.:illinois:

Man if Wisconsin wins double digit conference games this year, they might have some of the best talent scouts/developers in the nation. They return Happ and a load of role players. Such a huge test for Gard, now that its mostly his guys suiting up.

I just don't see Gard approaching the success Bo achieved. This season will be a good test of if he's got anything going or not.

We did beat MSU, Mich, BYU and NW last year

VCU as well. Basically this year will be Alstork+Mark Smith+loss of Tate and Bo+BU/staff+better system+full year of Black/Kip+other freshman depth-Hill and Morgan=upgrade

foby

Bonnaroo Land
VCU as well. Basically this year will be Alstork+Mark Smith+loss of Tate and Bo+BU/staff+better system+full year of Black/Kip+other freshman depth-Hill and Morgan=upgrade

Who says math isn't fun?

My favorite part of that interview is
“I definitely have a lot to prove,” Williams said. “I am not going to rush my injury to do it. When I am healthy, I am going to do just that.”

That will take a little discipline on his part, because it has to be so tempting to get back out there ASAP. But getting healthy first will take less total time. :thumb:

Is it just me, or do we play Wisconsin twice every freaking year. Bo might be gone but they're still the most annoying B1G team to play.

Is it just me, or do we play Wisconsin twice every freaking year. Bo might be gone but they're still the most annoying B1G team to play.

We also haven't beaten Wisconsin since January 2nd 2011 (0-11)

From Febary 12th 1981-Janury 12th 1989 we beat Wisconsin 16 straight times.

Oh how times have changed:tsk:

My favorite part of that interview is
“I definitely have a lot to prove,” Williams said. “I am not going to rush my injury to do it. When I am healthy, I am going to do just that.”

That will take a little discipline on his part, because it has to be so tempting to get back out there ASAP. But getting healthy first will take less total time. :thumb:
This is the same thing DMW told me in the spring at a tourney in Peoria. He's not making any promises or predictions. If he's ready, he's ready and if he's not, he's not. He'll let the results of the rehab determine the outcome, not our expectations. Wise approach. We love ya either way.

This is the same thing DMW told me in the spring at a tourney in Peoria. He's not making any promises or predictions. If he's ready, he's ready and if he's not, he's not. He'll let the results of the rehab determine the outcome, not our expectations. Wise approach. We love ya either way.

His body doesn't look like he has done much upper body work, so when he does get the green light, take a while till he gets his strength up. I think we be seeing him maybe January. No need hurry him along. Let them young bones heal.;)

Been following all of the freshman + Alstork and Tejon on Snapchat for a while now. Spicy G looked absoultely SHREDDED on Mark Smith's Snapchat today. Starting to believe the hype around his athleticism and strength, kid has tons of potential and definently has the body of a Power 5 big man. Mark Smith looks like a 22 year old already, kid probably has an 8-pack, Trent has gained weight but still has one of the slimmest waists I've ever seen on a human being. Alstork reminds me of Rayvonte Rice physically. Coach Fletch truly is the best at what he does.

I really hope not. This team will need some extra seasoning before something like that. Would rather have MSU on the road, as it will most likely be an L anyway.

I agree about needing some more seasoning, and MSU will be tough. However, if you're going to surprise them, it will be early when Izzo is working through his own learning curve for his team. MSU is one of those teams who point toward the tourney, and don't panic early as they try different combos, learn to play with each other etc.

1: Lucas, Fraizer
2: Alstork, DMW
3: Smith, AJ
4: KN, Black, Matic
5: Finke, Black, Greg E

I'm a little on the fence on the Finke/Black front but I like his skill set to stretch the floor. And I'm not sure I see both him and Black seeing much floor time together for foul trouble/ depth concerns.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I like the way those starters fit. However, BU has been constantly praising Leron which makes me think he'll get the nod. However I like the energy kip or Leron could bring off the bench in theory.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I like the way those starters fit. However, BU has been constantly praising Leron which makes me think he'll get the nod. However I like the energy kip or Leron could bring off the bench in theory.

I agree. Although Underwood may bring Black off the bench to keep him from hyperventilating and pick up 2 quick fouls.

We had 9 different starting lineups last year. Long way to go on this starter/minutes stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.