Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, my friend, we are in complete agreement. BU did not have the length or athleticism to run his defense last year. Questions remain about the incoming players ability to play defense and questions remain over the effectiveness of BU's scheme in the B1G.

The bolded regarding BU not having the length or athleticism to run his defense is true. We lacked the personnel and I think most would agree we've brought in recruits that pass the length/athleticism eye test. As far as it being effective in the BIG, I'm not sure that's fair. We had a 22.7% opponent turnovers per possession(4th in the country), which is the highest of any BIG team in the past 8 seasons. We were also 5th in the country in turnovers forced. The 2 point field goal percentage allowed was real bad, no doubt. But we had an impossibly thin front-court and that will surely improve. All in all, considering we did NOT have a long or athletic team and a super thin front-court, those stats are impressive IMO. Year 1 is all about establishing an identity on defense, and we most definitely have accomplished that. It will take some time before it all gets polished.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
The bolded regarding BU not having the length or athleticism to run his defense is true. We lacked the personnel and I think most would agree we've brought in recruits that pass the length/athleticism eye test. As far as it being effective in the BIG, I'm not sure that's fair. We had a 22.7% opponent turnovers per possession(4th in the country), which is the highest of any BIG team in the past 8 seasons. We were also 5th in the country in turnovers forced. The 2 point field goal percentage allowed was real bad, no doubt. But we had an impossibly thin front-court and that will surely improve. All in all, considering we did NOT have a long or athletic team and a super thin front-court, those stats are impressive IMO. Year 1 is all about establishing an identity on defense, and we most definitely have accomplished that. It will take some time before it all gets polished.

I'm not saying his defensive scheme won't be effective, just that it hasn't been demonstrated to be effective yet.

I personally like the style of defense employed last year. It gave us a chance. Our defense at the 4 and 5 positions was terrible, no matter what scheme was used. The best chance for success was to pressure the guards and play the passing lanes to keep the ball from entering inside.

Factually, we know his pressure defense worked at Stephen F., and did not work at OSU or last year here. We also know that his type of pressure defense has not previously been effective in the B1G, however, I don't think there has been a team that was committed to trying to make it work.

When I said "questions remain over the effectiveness of BU's scheme in the B1G." I meant that literally. It wasn't a dig at all.

Alstork was a max effort defender, which I appreciated, but I would not call him a very good defender. Lateral quickness was average at best and he fouled way too much after getting beat. Increased minutes by a healthy DW will result in a substantial improvement versus Alstork, IMO.

plus there were the times where he'd just go bananas and pick up a couple fouls after turning it over, leading the other team into the bonus early

we forced TO's by overplaying and gave up layups by overplaying

Count me as one person quite concerned with the number of transfers. I think we'll get worse before we get better. We've lost too much.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
We gave up layups because our bigs couldn't defend even against cupcakes.

It wasn't just our bigs. Sometimes our bigs had to rotate to help on back door cuts, due to some guys losing their man because they were caught ball watching. or having to help when our perimeter guys got beat off the dribble.

Our bigs did struggle, don't get me wrong. But they weren't the only culprits. In this style of defense, all 5 guys have to be cognizant of what's going on. If one guy fails, they all look bad. And good teams will pick that apart.

CAIllini

West Coast
Count me as one person quite concerned with the number of transfers. I think we'll get worse before we get better. We've lost too much.

Agreed...I think this year is going to be painful. I'm hoping we see progression and improvement as we move along...but that's really hard to do mentally for freshman when losses pile up.

It wasn't just our bigs. Sometimes our bigs had to rotate to help on back door cuts, due to some guys losing their man because they were caught ball watching. or having to help when our perimeter guys got beat off the dribble.

Our bigs did struggle, don't get me wrong. But they weren't the only culprits. In this style of defense, all 5 guys have to be cognizant of what's going on. If one guy fails, they all look bad. And good teams will pick that apart.

like Wisky up in Kohl....we were shredded

You're right, but the bigs were the most frustrating to watch IMO. Our returning players will improve in this style of defense and I think most of our recruits that are expected to get significant playing time will be okay.

Agreed...I think this year is going to be painful. I'm hoping we see progression and improvement as we move along...but that's really hard to do mentally for freshman when losses pile up.

we have more players coming back this year than last year, seems that we had a fighting chance in every game this past year, so mentally I'll bet they'll be okay :illinois:

we have more players coming back this year than last year, seems that we had a fighting chance in every game this past year, so mentally I'll bet they'll be okay :illinois:

That's important to keep in mind. Besides a couple of them, we were competitive and had a chance in almost every game. The record was a lot worse than what their effort showed. If we can get the scoring lost from Black, I think the improvement in our defense will be enough to change the result of so many of those game that just couldn't go our way in the end.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
You're right, but the bigs were the most frustrating to watch IMO. Our returning players will improve in this style of defense and I think most of our recruits that are expected to get significant playing time will be okay.

I don't disagree. Problem is the bigs get exposed on overall team defense near the rim. Do they go and help and leave their guy open? Do they try to hedge if the rotation comes too late? I think the indecision of the bigs was a bit frustrating. Hopefully our reaction and recognition time will improve with this longer and hopefully quicker bunch of incoming players, compared to they guys that we lost.

I don't disagree. Problem is the bigs get exposed on overall team defense near the rim. Do they go and help and leave their guy open? Do they try to hedge if the rotation comes too late? I think the indecision of the bigs was a bit frustrating. Hopefully our reaction and recognition time will improve with this longer and hopefully quicker bunch of incoming players, compared to they guys that we lost.

It's inconclusive since Williams is covering up the player behind him.
Almost certainly Spicy G behind Williams.

illini80

Forgottonia
Shocking. At least for those who refused to believe it because it wasn’t officially announced

Status
Not open for further replies.