Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,751      

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Higgs--fills a slot, decent stats, but I'm guessing he's a 2-3 ppg kind of guy this year. Big number players aren't available in June--they just aren't. We're still woefully lacking experienced big men to keep the opposing experienced big men from running roughshod on us. We don't have the skills, and we don't have the fouls to give.

The lack of an inside presence limits what we can do with an outside game because defenses can extend. It's going to be a fun team to watch grow, but at this point I'm just hoping for double digits in the W column this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,753      

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
Did weed just get legalized in a bunch of states? That's the only explanation I can come up with for the stuff I've seen posted here. Either that or there are a whole bunch of posters that just don't basketball.

Higgs--fills a slot, decent stats, but I'm guessing he's a 2-3 ppg kind of guy this year. Big number players aren't available in June--they just aren't. We're still woefully lacking experienced big men to keep the opposing experienced big men from running roughshod on us. We don't have the skills, and we don't have the fouls to give.

The lack of an inside presence limits what we can do with an outside game because defenses can extend. It's going to be a fun team to watch grow, but at this point I'm just hoping for double digits in the W column this year.
I don't think defenses extending on us would be too much of a problem in the spread offense. Our 5 spends most of the time in the pinch post anyways. The hard cuts and alley oops would be even more open. Although the same thing was said before last season..just so happened that our execution level was subpar.

Last edited:
#1,755      
I don't think defenses extending on us would be too much of a problem in the spread offense. Our 5 spends most of the time in the pinch post anyways. The hard cuts and alley oops would be even more open. Although the same thing was said before last season..just so happened that our execution level was subpar.

We had nobody who could shoot so defenses never had to press up

#1,756      
We will see, but it appears to me some posters have been conditioned by the crap basketball we have seen for the last decade plus, while others have seen a change, or imagined a change in the current roster. We have better shooters, we have better quickness, we have more players with passing, shooting, and dribbling skills than we have had for quite some time, imo. Can that overcome inexperience? In the big ten, probably not, but last year I saw a much more competitive team than I had seen in some time. I attribute that to the staff, and now they have better raw material to work with. The new guys are used to winning, so that might help to.

I agree. From what I hear from Underwood, he comes across to me as a guy with a plan for the Illini. He knows how he wants his teams to play and a strategy to make that happen. Now if he is able to win in the Big Ten with that plan we will have to wait and see. Hopefully we can the right players to buy into his system, that would sure make his life easier.

#1,757      

giphy.gif

#1,759      
We will see, but it appears to me some posters have been conditioned by the crap basketball we have seen for the last decade plus, while others have seen a change, or imagined a change in the current roster. We have better shooters, we have better quickness, we have more players with passing, shooting, and dribbling skills than we have had for quite some time, imo. Can that overcome inexperience? In the big ten, probably not, but last year I saw a much more competitive team than I had seen in some time. I attribute that to the staff, and now they have better raw material to work with. The new guys are used to winning, so that might help to.

We really have no reason to assume we will be any better this year. Have to see positive change and a winning mentality within the program. Until then we are all blowing, err, typing... hot air...or whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,760      
I assume he would be eligible immediately?

He is not a 5th year transfer, so he has to complete a 1-year residency requirement (sit out transfer year) at his new school. This should be in the recruiting thread.

#1,763      
People believe what they want to believe. Do you understand what 'We will see' means? Personally, I don't give a damn about predictions on this or any other board. It serves no purpose, other than feeding egos. Why not just see what the .... happens? The last 15 games of the season or so are most likely to tell me what I want to know. Mentality? Do you really think those other teams didn't want to win, or did they just not have the skills, and the coaching?

Yes I understand what ‘we will see’ means. Of course they wanted to win. But we were obviously missing a lot of things, and I think a stronger winning mentality was part of it. Nobody on the team last year and years before had made the NCAA tournament even once, so to say there might be a lack of a winning mentality on the college stage in our program is not a outrageous comment. Which is why I’m saying until proven otherwise, we have no reason to think we will be any better this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,766      
He is not a 5th year transfer, so he has to complete a 1-year residency requirement (sit out transfer year) at his new school. This should be in the recruiting thread.

Yeah, I knew he would have to sit out a year, but wasn't sure whether transfer news usually goes in recruiting or in the current school year thread. Nonetheless, he probably deserves a look at least.

#1,769      
jesus this is like a different sport

The difference between the 89' team was not just athleticism, skill, and ranking. It was experience and BB IQ, look at the roster it was a veteran team. Juniors were Anderson, Gill, Bardo, L Smith, Small. Lowell Hamilton was a senior and Ken Batlle was a 5th year senior. M Liberty was a prop 48 sophomore, was the least experienced but was also a top 3 national recruit.

I agree, it looks like a different sport the way the 89' team plays and not only our current squad but the last group of final four teams. The 89" team wasn't doing a lot of second guessing, they had plenty of experience and bb IQ. They knew each others game as well.

The 89' also didn't need to be told to play defense or told to "get up" for games. Not only do you need to try to replicate the BB IQ and experience, but how about pride. It will take a special group to replicate this.

#1,770      

EJ33

San Francisco
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
[5m20s]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbrmeqQI2Rc

That game is not the Flyin' Illini Braggin' Rights game (I think it was intended to show Ervin Small highlights). This is it

Here's some nice highlights against an absolutely loaded Iowa team that they crushed:Link

- Note the lineup on the floor: three high school all-americans along with Kendall Gill and Kenny Battle.

And another good one: link

Last edited:
#1,771      

sacraig

The desert
Agreed on all. I'm not sure any team in the history of college basketball is comparable to the '89 team which is why this discussion has been so silly.

I feel like Houston's Phi Slama Jama team would probably like a word with you.

#1,772      

PHI SLAMMA JAMMA is comparable for sure and maybe better because Hakeem was a beast. We could switch n shoot I'd love to watch that game if it were possible. I think the team next year is far from that but they are better than people imagine. Trent can play, Feliz is under valued, Ayo is a stud. Also, call it a huntch I feel Kipper will be our best player.We will be better off without Ebo by mid season. If he was as gifted as people sometimes say here then where are the offers even now? Our freshmen are much more skilled with better offers than that for a reason! I freshmen or not I will prefer them at the line. We can play just fine as long as we shoot it ok we will be just fine. It's not like the 4s n 5s that left were such great defenders or rebounders and they did lack on the offensive end from the field and the line.

Last edited:
#1,773      

Illini_1979

Oregon
That game is not the Flyin' Illini Braggin' Rights game (I think it was intended to show Ervin Small highlights). This is it

Here's some nice highlights against an absolutely loaded Iowa team that they crushed:Link

- Note the lineup on the floor: three high school all-americans along with Kendall Gill and Kenny Battle.

And another good one: link

Good times.

#1,774      
There will never be another Flyin Ilini team at Illinois. We will never assemble that kinda of talent over a four year period. Period.

If you count all 4 years (even though freshmen were ineligible), I'd say the 1964-65 team might challenge them. That team opened the season by blowing out UCLA in the building formerly known as the the Assembly Hall. They lost the back up center to grades before the season, and the starting shooting guard to an injury in game 9. Otherwise, that might have been one the top Illini basketball teams ever, right there with 1989, 2005, and Combes' early final 4 teams.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/illinois/1965.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/illinois/1965-schedule.html

Point guard Tal Brody gave up an NBA career to help start pro basketball in Israel. Center Skip Thoren, wing Don Freeman, and then freshman forward Rich Jones were early ABA stars. Combo guard Jim Dawson was the Big Ten MVP in 1967 and played briefly for the Pacers. Then freshmen center Ron Dunlap played in the CBB and Israel. Bogie Redmon was an early face up big who could also drive to the hoop.

Reserve swing man Preston Pearson was a stud athlete who became better know as an NFL football player. Back up point guard Jim Vopika became a pretty good minor league baseball infielder. The senior class originally included a super athletic guard named Trent "T. J." Jackson, who became a star in track and football. Jackson was a wide receiver on the Rose Bowl team that featured Dick Butkus, and played professionally with the Eagles and Redskins.

Last edited:
#1,775      

Two guys in the all-time top 50, two more who played multiple seasons in the league, and somehow Dave Rose was the team captain. With all due respect to the '89 Illini (my favorite team of all time, btw), the best to never win a title conversation pretty much begins and ends with '82 Houston and '91 UNLV.

Status
Not open for further replies.