Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,801      
Given the new recruits focus on athleticism, how do you think next year's team will compare to those of the 80s?

More than anything, I think we are getting more talented. I think next season will be surprising in a positive way even with Freshman growing pains. These guys play so much basketball prior to college I don't think the learning curve is near as steep as 80s and 90s. Ayo is elite game changing player and he and Frazier are a really good start to the rebuild.

#1,802      
More than anything, I think we are getting more talented. I think next season will be surprising in a positive way even with Freshman growing pains. These guys play so much basketball prior to college I don't think the learning curve is near as steep as 80s and 90s. Ayo is elite game changing player and he and Frazier are a really good start to the rebuild.
Good point about the learning curve.

#1,803      
Great stuff in here.

"Overall, these freshmen are unbelievable and I’m just excited to play with them."

Great to read of Damonte's and Griffins confidence.

always thought of Kip as quiet leader "most vocal" is great to read.

Thanks for posting Dan. The young man calls it like he sees it....jealous and not family last year and TU is fat from the games he plays:)

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#1,804      
We have a lot more athletes compared to what Groce was able to get but it's not like we have crazy athleticism on the roster.. It's just more comparable to what other D1 teams have. For a few years, we probably had one of the least athletic rosters at the high major level so this is a nice change.

I agree, I do not know where this athleticism discussion is coming from, the current team is not overly athletic.

#1,805      
Certainly not a family/team environment when 5 players are no shows for the team banquet.

Last edited:
#1,806      

redwingillini11

North Aurora
Certainly not a family/team environment when 5 players are no shows for the team banquet.

Yeah, I think we are going to have to wait until the 2018-19 team faces some adversity until we can feel good that these kinds of issues are over with for the Underwood program.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,807      

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
Yeah, I think we are going to have to wait until the 2018-19 team faces some adversity until we can feel good that these kinds of issues are over with for the Underwood program.

Obviously agree; however, this comment makes it seem as if its an issue for BU teams. Clearly there were a ton of issues with this team and they have since purged most of the team and brought in all new players who are going to learn the right way to approach the game and being a team. It's one thing to have a bad apple in a tight group as the rest of the team often doesn't tolerate it, but when there are multiple guys who don't care enough to make the change it can spread and become a major issue. Competitive team atmospheres are what produce teams that often outplay their talent, whereas a group of individuals, no matter how talented, often disappoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,808      

This team definitely need to respond to adversity better. One reason for optimism is that between Higgs, Ayo and Griffin there are something like 5 state titles won as high schoolers. They are used to success and I assume faced a good amount of adversity in claiming those titles

#1,809      
I agree, I do not know where this athleticism discussion is coming from, the current team is not overly athletic.

I think it’s just been individual player based. This incoming person is more athletic than old player x.

Which leads to a more athletic team, although that wasn’t a hard bar to jump over.

#1,811      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Underwood's OSU team had 3 double digit scorers (all guards). His bigs scored 5 and 8. The 7 footer scored 5 a game. This team should be able to do that. I think everyone is underselling this team because of last year. :shield:

I think most are underselling it because of the sheer number of question marks, especially in the frontcourt, and the youth, also especially in the frontcourt. Makes perfect sense to undersell at this point.

#1,812      
Underwood's OSU team had 3 double digit scorers (all guards). His bigs scored 5 and 8. The 7 footer scored 5 a game. This team should be able to do that. I think everyone is underselling this team because of last year. :shield:
I think it's good for the psyche to undersell as a fan base after the last several years. The team/family hopefully will maintain and build confidence that will be needed to overachieve.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#1,813      
I love the talk about changing culture but can we also take note of the end where Trent says he has a 40 in vertical now? If true that would put him tied for 10th best out of the players in this past draft.

Yeah, I tend to take a few of the numbers our S & C coach puts out there with a grain of salt, personally.

#1,815      
Look, there's always gonna be players who are unhappy with playing time, coach or both. Not unique to Illinois. The challenge coaches all over the country face each year is to get guys 1-13 playing hard with winning the primary goal. The difference is when your winning folks overlook it.

#1,816      
Look, there's always gonna be players who are unhappy with playing time, coach or both. Not unique to Illinois. The challenge coaches all over the country face each year is to get guys 1-13 playing hard with winning the primary goal. The difference is when your winning folks overlook it.

Everything is magnified when you're losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.