Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many left after year one with Groce? (not a shiny example to compare to I know)

Four, all immediately, all guys who played sparingly, only one of whom had any real future with the team, who was also the only one where it wasn't totally coach-initiated. And it opened up roster spots for a complete, balanced roster the next season.

Turnover after year one is not uncommon. The circumstances here are a different story.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I guess what gets me at this point is that he came in at Steven F Austin and became coach of the year, then he turned around an OSU program in one year....and now at Illinois? I don't get it. What is the True Story?

UofI08

Chicago
Is there a normal timeline for announcing transfers? Seems weird that one would wait until the summer to be announced, especially with so many happening earlier.

wILL-INI

Charlotte, NC
at this point i dont even know what to say.

why leave? was is he looking for and not getting here? i thought last year was the absolute basement of our program, but every day I live proves me more wrong. the freaking sky is falling.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Cause for concern for sure. This may be more of the normal then we think though. 4 left Ohio State when Holtman took over. Nebraska had 4 leave going into 2017 and Milles has been there a while.

4 left after year 1 of Groce....

BU is tearing the house down to build up one that fits him. Time will tell.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
giphy.gif

if there was ever a time for this, it’s now

There's 10's of thousands of kids on campus. Odds are theres some 6' 10" guys walking around somewhere.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Four, all immediately, all guys who played sparingly, only one of whom had any real future with the team, who was also the only one where it wasn't totally coach-initiated. And it opened up roster spots for a complete, balanced roster the next season.

Turnover after year one is not uncommon. The circumstances here are a different story.

All of those guys under Groce were after his first season.

I guess what gets me at this point is that he came in at Steven F Austin and became coach of the year, then he turned around an OSU program in one year....and now at Illinois? I don't get it. What is the True Story?

He got lucky in a couple tournament games and OSU had talent available in place.

BU is tearing the house down to build up one that fits him.

Three BU-recruited players have played for him so far. All three left after a single season.

The star of last year's team quit to go halfway around the world to play for peanuts rather than complete his eligibility here.

Parker Braun would have been a regular rotation player for us next year and he instead chose to walk on at Mizzou.

The alarm is ringing. Wake up.

Actually it's only 5.

Graduated: Alstork
Going Pro: Black
Transferred out: Smith, Lucas, Finke, Vesel, Ebo

I'm counting Black. I know the response to that, and it's wrong.

All of those guys under Groce were after his first season.

Yeah, that's what I meant, immediately after the end of that season, which is when transfers usually occur.

Last edited:

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
It will be interesting to hear from Coach Underwood on this. I'm sure it will be pretty boilerplate wish him well, etc.

See if they have anyone in the pipeline, etc.

I know we are all upset, but this isn't even remotely true.

I didn't say he was a bad coach, in fact i still have confidence in BU.

However exhibit A is hard to call anything other than lucky. I dont recall the other win, so I'll give that to him, though I'm sure Walkup helped a bit. Of course, every team has some luck especially to get that far, but that was one of the most purely luck based wins. Ever.

OSU had a good compliment of talented upperclassmen and an NBA PG. They had talent, though again I'll concede BU got the best out of them.

So to say he was lucky at SFA and had talent at OSU is, in fact, even remotely true ;)

See if they have anyone in the pipeline, etc.

Oh they've got a pipeline alright

Coach Shop
‏@CoachShopSJ

6'10 @SaintJamesHoops F Dima Zdor is currently visiting schools. He is strongly considering Weber State, Siena, UMass, Austin Peay, Illinois, and Jacksonville State.

https://twitter.com/CoachShopSJ/status/1004454152473399298

For the uninitiated, that's Bryce Golden's not-as-good HS teammate.

I'm sure we'll do great filling four open scholarships with zero official visits to offer.

What the F. Why? Just why?

BU must really rub people the wrong way. Right? Or are we that poor of a program? Just at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However exhibit A is hard to call anything other than lucky. I dont recall the other win, so I'll give that to him, though I'm sure Walkup helped a bit. Of course, every team has some luck especially to get that far, but that was one of the most purely luck based wins. Ever.

OSU had a good compliment of talented upperclassmen and an NBA PG. They had talent, though again I'll concede BU got the best out of them.

So to say he was lucky at SFA and had talent at OSU is, in fact, even remotely true ;)

BU was 53-1 in conference at SFA. Forget about the NCAA wins, his teams were totally dominant against comparable talent with a very system-oriented coaching-heavy style of play, in each of the three years he was there.

He did have an NBA PG to work with at OSU, but after early struggles re-arranged on the fly and ended up with the #1 offense in the country.

The track record was short, but 24 carat gold.

We haven't seen so much as a whiff of what he brought to those other schools.

While we are all in freak out mode, I'd just like to note that we owe BU $15.25 million over the next 5 years.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
While we are all in freak out mode, I'd just like to note that we owe BU $15.25 million over the next 5 years.

He's not going anywhere. I still have faith in BU and staff. We need to have tough minded kids. I think we are getting them in Ayo, Tevian and Griffin and Feliz. Giorgi as well.

Go to war with the guys that want to be here. Those that left, best of luck to them. But if they don't want to be here, they aren't helping us out by sticking around.

My sources tell me that Tyler Underwood is also going to transfer out. As soon as he can find the twitter template, he will make the announcement. :)

<this is a joke>

SFA dominated WVU in 15-16 before losing at the last second to ND. The West Virginia win was impressive, but I will note that WV teams can be very stupid at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.