Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Silence??? The whining and 'woe is me!' declarations are deafening...

Do you seriously believe the interaction taking place on these boards is anything close to what it was when Groce took over? The apathy on here is far louder than the voice of discontent. Like I said, I don't have the stats in front of me (plea #2 for Dan to share some stats on this topic), but I can't imagine engagement with this board is close to where it was after year #1 under Groce.

And the real fans need to chill and see what the team looks like in the fall when practice begins.

There is no more than 1% of fans left. If you are taking time, daily, in June of 2018 to contribute an opinion on Illinois athletics, congrats. Positive, negative or neutral, you are a diehard fan. It feels like even the % of "troll" posts have greatly declined recently. Not worth trying to rile up a fanbase that doesn't care.

Illinois' basketball roster for the 2018-2019 season is likely the worst we have seen in many fan's lifetimes. That is unbelievably difficult to swallow regardless of future expectations. Add in the fact there are minimal reasons for optimism after this season and well... being irrelevant is worse than being disgusted. Being both is where we are right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BU Pros (since UI hire):
- “kept” Illinois Mr Basketball in Mark Smith. Kept in quotes as he had not yet committed but in good position
- awesome year from Trent (not his recruit, but flourished)
- best year yet from Leron (better than anything under Groce, but somewhat expected with health/experience)
- breakout year from AJ (maybe BU’s best accomplishment as Ayo is really Coleman’s)
- top 30 recruit signed

BU Cons:
- top 30 recruit decommitted (Tilmon)
- previous top 40 / top player transferred (JCL)
- brought stain of FBI/recruiting infractions on his watch
- most emabarrasing recruitment in memory with THT (Cliffmas was embarrassing, but at least it was the kid who lacked class)
- worst Big Ten record in memory
- six kids leave program after year one including Mr Basketball he signed

Whitman Con:
- we can’t afford to make a change

Dumpster. Fire.

If you don’t agree - ask yourself where we are if Ayo or Trent leave. 2-18?

We might be 2-18 with Ayo and Trent.

Well, when he is/was the lone experienced big on the roster, who else are we going to be bullish on? :noidea: That aside, isn't that what real fans do? Pull for the players you have, rather then the ones you don't?

Being a real fan does not entail becoming totally delusional about current status and expectations.

Illinois' basketball roster for the 2018-2019 season is likely the worst we have seen in many fan's lifetimes.

Isn’t this still considered a Top-25 recruiting class ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day, the silence on these boards is the most glaring indictment of it all. I would love to see Illinois Loyalty's page impressions monthly, year over year. Annectdotally, someone recently said they had to catch up on FIVE PAGES in one day. That feels like what was the norm a few years back.

As a data nerd, I would be very interested in Illinois Loyalty "statistics" that get at fan interest over time. :cough: Dan :cough:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I remember lurking the FB threads back during Nov-Dec 2011. The Coaching Search thread was insanely informative. Probably wasted over 100 hours reading it.

Illiniblueorange

Pontoon Beach IL
i have never seen so many "fans" go south so quick .

Top 25 recruiting class and still a stink hole.

I would much rather watch this team play Underwood's game than any of Groce's teams , so much more fun and hustle.

Relax , watch a few games before you start running to the bomb shelter's !

This team has more talent than last years, and it "ain't" even close. Stop with the gloom and doom please.

Deleted member 8632

D
I am available if the team needs me.

I am only 5'8". However, I am also skinny, slow, and uncoordinated.

So let's get the ball rolling. I look great in orange and blue.

You'll just wind up walking on at Mizzou.

Really amusing to see people suggest and agree that it wold be even a decent idea for BU to ask Ebo and Matic to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have never seen so many "fans" go south so quick .

Top 25 recruiting class and still a stink hole.

I would much rather watch this team play Underwood's game than any of Groce's teams , so much more fun and hustle.

Relax , watch a few games before you start running to the bomb shelter's !

Go south so quick: guessing you're new here? Haha, the emotional swings on this board are legendary to the point that imo it's not really worth pointing out.

Top 25 recruiting class: I think the issue here is balance with talent where the incoming front court are big question marks. You could have the top class with 5 of the best pgs; still not going to win you many games.

Underwood vs Groce games: While this is true, at least last year, only half of each game was worth watching unfortunately.

Relax: agree 100%. At the end of the day, we're just fans. We don't make the big decisions or play or coach the games. As just fans, it's our job to support the team (or not), discuss bball topics while injecting the odd pun here and there, and lastly, just enjoy the ride. I'm not a Cubs fan, but I imagine it was pretty sweet to finally win the big one after so many down years. Hopefully, Illinois' day will come sooner than later (and before I die preferably).

I am available if the team needs me.

I am only 5'8". However, I am also skinny, slow, and uncoordinated.

So let's get the ball rolling. I look great in orange and blue.

Ha, I got you beat.

I'm only 5'8" IN SHOES. What I lack in height I make by being old(er), overweight and slow :D

I did play in the paint in the UI intramural 5'9" and under league :thumb:

Where do I sign?

Last edited:

AEX

Danger Zone
LOL.

Really, the only way to be considered a diehard fan is to post on this forum?

People are exhausted. Posting on a message board does nothing to resolve an issue so a host of people don't bother. This is one of my problems with a few posters here. They act as if the only people upset or outraged are those who post incessantly about their outrage and discontent.

What is the number of continual posters on this board? How does that compare to the number of season ticket holders? There are literally thousands of season ticket holders not posting here. The idea that they aren't diehard fans is ludicrous.

I read that post differently than you. To say that you are a true fan if you post here does not necessarily mean that you are not a true fan if you do not. I think the main point was that the volume of posts on this message board is a metric for fan interest in the program (and signals a significant decline in interest over the last 10 years, particularly the last 5). That does not negate other metrics, like # of ticket holders.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
The reading comprehension and logic on display in these last couple pages does not speak well of our university.

Deleted member 186590

D
We’re going to be a matchup nightmare for teams next year. The majority of time we won’t have anyone taller than 6’5” on the court.

The other teams Centers and PFs will have no idea who to guard

I’m excited to see the havoc we are going to wreck on other teams!

giphy.gif

Like they had at Ohio State with their new coach? Oh wait...

IlliniinNJ

Cherry Hill, NJ
Bottom line is that if the team doesn't start winning, 2019 recruiting will turn into an epic fail. And, without good players, no coaching system will work. The upcoming season's results will be critical for this coach's future.

Bottom line is that if the team doesn't start winning, 2019 recruiting will turn into an epic fail. And, without good players, no coaching system will work. The upcoming season's results will be critical for this coach's future.

The 2019 class will sign before we've played another game. Early November.

We desperately need a 5th year big that can eat some minutes and not be a negative on either end.

Kane and Giorgi are both freshman and their is not a chance that they won't be in constant foul trouble like most freshman bigs are.

We’re going to be a matchup nightmare for teams next year. The majority of time we won’t have anyone taller than 6’5” on the court.

The other teams Centers and PFs will have no idea who to guard

I’m excited to see the havoc we are going to wreck on other teams!

When we have the ball...yes we will create some match up problems...but we'll only have the ball around 50% of the time...(depending on shot selection and rebounds).....the other 50% of the time our opponent will create match up problems for us....I would guess we will like one but not the other

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
For those of you whining and complaining, need to stop.

We will be good again. The players leaving/transferring out of the program is unfortunately a common norm in today's college basketball world. There will be recruiting losses and recruiting wins, it's all part of the business. Illinois basketball has been damaged for several years, and Underwood is still trying to repair the damages that have occurred.

I've read all the posts on here since Ebo's announcement of transferring, and Rob Jordan's post is still the best post in this thread. For those who are speculating and bashing, just return to planet Earth and be positive about the upcoming season. Lot of posters on here think instant success can be achieved like instant mashed potatoes. It's not like that. Building a program takes time.

Status
Not open for further replies.