Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN
If I understand your question correctly, to the best of my knowledge there has been no video or anything else posted officially that would explain why he is transferring.

The interview was posted on a twitter page I saw on here.

Put it this way, none of our wings projects to be a better shooter than Mark Alstork did last year.

I am a firm DaMonte believer and Tevian Jones optimist, but you can't just say something like the quoted as if it's a known fact. It's not.

This team no longer has known facts until it actually takes the floor.

I would agree that on net, the players we have coming in are a better shooting group than those we've lost, but if the minutes break down in a way that Ayo and Kane get the most minutes of the newcomers (likely), then that effect is minimized.

Man...if none of the wings shoot better than Alstork did last year, we're in deep slick....hopefully as a team we will shoot better and play better defensively than last years team

Man...if none of the wings shoot better than Alstork did last year, we're in deep slick....hopefully as a team we will shoot better and play better defensively than last years team
We will have TF who can shoot and drive. Feliz is experienced can shoot and pass well and has played vs quality players. Ayo can drive and finish. They both should at the very least shoot as good as Lucas right both at the FT line and from 3 right? I am not as familiar with the other incoming wings other than Griffin is supposed to be known as a shooter. Anyway logically it just makes since our wings are much better than last year offensively and floor spacing should be better because of improved shooters.

We will have TF who can shoot and drive. Feliz is experienced can shoot and pass well and has played vs quality players. Ayo can drive and finish. They both should at the very least shoot as good as Lucas right both at the FT line and from 3 right? I am not as familiar with the other incoming wings other than Griffin is supposed to be known as a shooter. Anyway logically it just makes since our wings are much better than last year offensively and floor spacing should be better because of improved shooters.

Offense will not be the problem. Can we stop anyone?

U...n
Giorgi is not 1/1000th of the athlete Augustine was

Disagree..QB or not. Maybe not the athlete but let's wait n and see. I remember last year everyone was so high on MS and it was TF that was something more than we realized. Auggie played a role for sure but dee was the athlete on that team. It's not like Auggie was a high flyer or anything like the 89 team was full of. What I've seen Geo looks to move well, dribble well and shoot well for a big guy. I don't know why people think he moves like Mav. he moves much better if you watch the tape

Last edited:
U...n

Disagree..QB or not. Maybe not the athlete but let's wait n and see. I remember last year everyone was so high on MS and it was TF that was something more than we realized. Auggie played a role for sure but dee was the athlete on that team. It's not like Auggie was a high flyer or anything like the 89 team was full of. What I've seen Geo looks to move well, dribble well and shoot well for a big guy. I don't know why people think he moves like Mav. he moves much better if you watch the tape

Augustine was wing athletic for a 6’11 guy

Augustine was wing athletic for a 6’11 guy
Kevin Durant is. Marcus Liberty was too. Efrem Winter was. I saw Auggie play and that's not how I'd recall him playing above they square or running fluidly and jumping like Jayson Tatum.
Auggie played smart and hard and had some ability but he was certainly not a high flying uber athlete. Geo moves well for a big guy too. I don't recall plays by Auggie that made me gasp like wow. Those I listed and the 89 team has those that did. Efrems dunk vs Minn. was one of the best jaw dropping ones ever in CU.

Last edited:
U...n

Similar athlete to Mav. Probably a little high vertical but both were below the rim players. Geo had a workout video featuring him dunking but I don't remember seen a clip of him dunking in a game.

Similar athlete to Mav. Probably a little high vertical but both were below the rim players. Geo had a workout video featuring him dunking but I don't remember seen a clip of him dunking in a game.

He was a 6’10 guy in those videos barely dunking on air. His hips look as tight as mine and I’ve had 4 hip surgeries with a 5th coming.

He definitely has some passing and handling skills but I swear as a board we have rehashed Giorgio’s athleticism ad nauseam

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN
Alan can shoot, 6th man type of instant offense. He is really high on his defense :) Don't sleep on this kid, he has Trent like confidence and he has played against major talent. Also, what we need from Giorgi is some defense in the middle, and then the ability to spread the bigs from other teams out a little on offense to create spacing. I can't say that what I saw of him on tape in games gave me the impression that he works hard, but those are highlights and highlights don't do justice to the little things

We'll be fine. I'm excited to see how fast and long we will play this season. Other teams will have a hard time defending us.

Oh? Our freshmen (again) against everyone else's juniors and seniors? BU may not be concerned about classes, but I'll take seniors over freshmen every game. See ya in March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin Durant is. Marcus Liberty was too. Efrem Winter was. I saw Auggie play and that's not how I'd recall him playing above they square or running fluidly and jumping like Jayson Tatum.
Auggie played smart and hard and had some ability but he was certainly not a high flying uber athlete. Geo moves well for a big guy too. I don't recall plays by Auggie that made me gasp like wow. Those I listed and the 89 team has those that did. Efrems dunk vs Minn. was one of the best jaw dropping ones ever in CU.

Augie had a 32.5 max vertical; not terrible. but less than amazing. What stood out were his sprint (3.25) and lane agility (10.54) times. He ran the floor well and had good lateral / stop and start movement for a big.

Like Augie, Georgi B is left handed and is about 6-10. He has pretty good agility for his size, but I'll be surprised if approaches Augie's lane agility time, let alone his vertical leap and sprint time. That said, GB might actually have better hands than Augie and is ambidextrous.

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
Augie had a 32.5 max vertical; not terrible. but less than amazing. What stood out were his sprint (3.25) and lane agility (10.54) times. He ran the floor well and had good lateral / stop and start movement for a big.

Like Augie, Georgi B is left handed and is about 6-10. He has pretty good agility for his size, but I'll be surprised if approaches Augie's lane agility time, let alone his vertical leap and sprint time. That said, GB might actually have better hands than Augie and is ambidextrous.

Augie could really run for a big guy...Very quick to the other end on both O and D. Even as freshman looked very agile. Georgi is not quite as fast, at least in the videos I saw, but was a very impressive passer and ball handler. Makes some great outlet passes, and can shoot out to the three point line. If he can adapt to the speed of the college game, I think he will do very well as a four and decent as a five. May take a year or so, but I think he will get there. I think he will get plenty of minutes and be serviceable even as a freshman. I haven't seen much video on Kane, but hopeful he can be serviceable at the five spot. He'll have to be, we got no one else at this point.

Two video links. One of Mav as a blonde basically all back to the basket and one or two dribbles. At that stage of his career. I liked Mav as player here. The Illini one of Geo he dunks on the first drive with no issues as well as scoring from all three levels with much better handles. Plus how long has Geo played? I'd love to have another Mav but I like the differences I see in Geo and he looks more like the guys Michigan has been doing so well with to me and fits the "system" I imagine better than Finke, Ebo, or a Mav type of player. Do you guys see differences? I do.

https://youtu.be/u3TMzJ__e2c

https://youtu.be/u751JeEuOyg

Last edited:
At 6'10" god forbid if he had any issues dunking. :)
I like that he is ambidexterous, dribbles very well for 6'10",can face up, pass well and shows a skill set the others that we have had lately at his size dont. Plus has a frame to get to 250.
My dunking mention was because Newman said he hadn't seen him dunk in a game so that was why I mentioned it. Dunking isnt as important to me as the other skills. Alot of 6'10" guys can dunk but they cant do that. We should realize that by now Plus Geo can dance!. :eek:

Last edited:

jmilt7

Waukegan
Shouldn’t we as fans know how to spell our players’ names correctly? It’s Giorgi not Georgi and Gio not Geo. Sorry if I am sounding too pedantic: I don’t know why this bothers me. Probably because people get my name wrong all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
As i've stated before, Kane's gonna be the starter this season ( didn't see this of course). Obviously, this is going to have an impact on depth and maybe this hurts the perception of the program. I don't know. No ax to grind with Ebo, but he wasn't going to be an impact player on the B10 level. And you won't see any 'big" offers coming his way.
Kane, on the other hand is going to be good. Hopefully, much sooner than expected. I'm comfortable with him being the starter and playing a lot of minutes next year. If he can stay out of foul trouble play him 30 minutes a game.
I think this team has 9 solid players going into the season. Griffen, can play. I think Willliams will be better. If he shoots it he'll be pretty good, does other things well, already. (big if though). They need Jones to be good this year.
I wish "they" were more forthright with what's going on. Underwood, too tough? I don't know. I do think some players are way too soft these days. Some of them want a cheerleader rather than a coach. But i don't know what's going on i only know what i read,

He was a 6’10 guy in those videos barely dunking on air. His hips look as tight as mine and I’ve had 4 hip surgeries with a 5th coming.

He definitely has some passing and handling skills but I swear as a board we have rehashed Giorgio’s athleticism ad nauseam

I’ve seen you mention that he’s tight in the hips. Can you please tell me what you’re looking at to evaluate this? (Honest question—I’m not doubting or disagreeing)

I don’t get the “barely dunking” comment. He’s not a high flier but he does look to dunk with ease in the videos of him working out. I get that workouts are different from games, but I just haven’t seen much live action game film on him. In one of the few game clips I have seen, he does dunk off the dribble and off of one foot. I don’t think I ever saw Mav do that in his four years. He’s no Augustine in terms of speed or quickness. But for a 6’10” kid with a frame that appears to be able to add more weight, I don’t see him as a minus athlete.

As i've stated before, Kane's gonna be the starter this season ( didn't see this of course). Obviously, this is going to have an impact on depth and maybe this hurts the perception of the program. I don't know. No ax to grind with Ebo, but he wasn't going to be an impact player on the B10 level. And you won't see any 'big" offers coming his way.
Kane, on the other hand is going to be good. Hopefully, much sooner than expected. I'm comfortable with him being the starter and playing a lot of minutes next year. If he can stay out of foul trouble play him 30 minutes a game.
I think this team has 9 solid players going into the season. Griffen, can play. I think Willliams will be better. If he shoots it he'll be pretty good, does other things well, already. (big if though). They need Jones to be good this year.
I wish "they" were more forthright with what's going on. Underwood, too tough? I don't know. I do think some players are way too soft these days. Some of them want a cheerleader rather than a coach. But i don't know what's going on i only know what i read,

I also believed Kane would be the starter sometime into the season but we need the depth and thought we would get good defensive mins from Ebo. More concerned with the reason we are losing players. Not buying that it is because they get yelled at in practice but have no theories. Also include me in group that worries about size until we win without it.

I’ve seen you mention that he’s tight in the hips. Can you please tell me what you’re looking at to evaluate this? (Honest question—I’m not doubting or disagreeing)

When I watch the limited films we have posted of him on here, I see a guy who has short strides and shuffles for a guy of his height. That is a classic trademark of tight hips. Not being able to open up fully and cover more ground with ease. It could also honestly be a strength deficiency where’s he’s overcompensating for a lack of strength by not full extending himself. If that’s the case fletch can fix it, but it’s what I see now.

As far as the dunking thing, when I watch him it looks like he has to fully load up to get just far enough over the rim to dunk. And he does that on videos without defense. That’s what is concerning to me. Dunking is it not an end all be all skill, but it is a measure of functional basketball athleticism.

#1,000      

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
[YOUTUBE]x0KYkt5e2Po[/YOUTUBE]

Someday we'll have another 6'10" guy who can block a three pointer then finish it himself with one hand on the other end, but hoh boy, Giorgi ain't him.

Status
Not open for further replies.