Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,227      

The Galloping Ghost

Washington, DC
It's the summer; the World Cup is on; my team just won a Stanley Cup and yet I'm stressing about the revolving door of big men at my alma mater.

#1,231      
It's a response to a multitude of posts that seem to be all over the place...posts such as 'I'm positive about the future with Underwood as HC' but at the same time saying 'he's in over his head'

To be clear, I am not positive about the future with Underwood right now. That's why I'm upset, that's where all of this is coming from. It's fixable, but we gotta start fixing it and fast.

if someone posts something, its fair game to be disagreed with, agreed with, given props, or criticized. That's what makes these boards fun.

1000% agree.

I have two kids 30+yo that I talk to every single day about most everything in their lives, and I have no idea what decision they are going to make on any given thing at any given time. I don't know why we expect Brad Underwood to be able to do that with 10-13 kids on the roster, as well as all the recruits we are talking to. It's beyond ridiculous to have that expectation.

Generating a high enough percentage of positive choices out of 10-13 kids is just kinda the job man.

If college basketball were played only in the mind and the knowledge and the good intentions of the head coach, and it's the kids fault when they can't carry that stuff out, then we fired the greatest in the history of the sport back in 2012.

People were saying stuff not so different than that at the time, if you recall. Certainly Weber himself did during that post-Purdue pity party.

Last edited:
#1,232      
They can seriously guarantee that Matz Stockman guy 40 minutes a game, every single game, if he transfers here.

#1,236      
Wow, the news keeps getting worse regarding Illini big men. This is happening all too frequently for the Illini. I'm really beginning to wonder what the heck is going on. Whatever it is, BU and staff better get a handle on it and soon.

#1,237      
deathspiral%5B4%5D.gif

#1,238      

AEX

Danger Zone
Generating a high enough percentage of positive choices out of 10-13 kids is just kinda the job man.

If college basketball were played only in the mind and the knowledge and the good intentions of the head coach, and it's the kids fault when they can't carry that stuff out, then we fired the greatest in the history of the sport back in 2012.

People were saying stuff not so different than that at the time, if you recall. Certainly Weber himself did during that post-Purdue pity party.

Agreed. Being a leader means being responsible and accountable for the decision made by those you lead. That can be especially difficult in a college context, where you are working with young people with less life experience, less developed skills for making good decisions, and less consistency as a result. But, as anyone who works in a college setting knows, helping young people develop skills and strategies to make good decisions is the biggest part of the job. I am certain that Underwood gets all that.

That said, it may be worth recognizing slight differences between level of accountability for on-court and off-court behavior. Your reference to Weber brings into the conversation on-court performance, and Underwood has been quick to take responsibility for how his team performs in games. While I would hold that Underwood is ultimately responsible for the off-court decisions his players make as related to the basketball program, his influence over those decisions has limitations.

#1,244      
If that Chinese education company had not bought Florida Prep academy back in December, none of this would have happened.

#1,245      
Is this Illinois admissions not accepting classes or an NCAA eligibility issue?

#1,247      
Is this Illinois admissions not accepting classes or an NCAA eligibility issue?

You'd guess the latter if he's already come this far. Plus a lot of the problems with Illinois admissions comes from the foreign language requirements. Shouldn't be an issue for a fluent French speaker.

#1,249      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Samba is an international kid that arrived arrived at a high school in Colorado as a HS Sophomore, then transferred to Florida Prep, and then reclassified from '19 to '18. Needless to say, his transcripts were probably tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.