Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,276      
Seriously, anything academically should have been under review long before now. You don't bring the kid to campus then send him home if he doesn't have classes necessary.

NCAA issue. They move at their own pace. Think Q.Watkins

#1,277      

AEX

Danger Zone
NCAA issue. They move at their own pace. Think Q.Watkins

The same Q. Watkins who never played a game at Illinois? Not a example I like thinking about in this instance.

#1,279      
Jeez, this feels like the last wheel falling off, or rock bottom, or whatever you want to say. But then I should not be afraid of what comes next . . . and I am

#1,280      

Deleted member 649710

D
Maybe the basketball team should just take next year off. :(

#1,282      

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Yeah, this is a smart way to look at it.

I would say, don’t give up on seeing Kane in O&B just yet, though obviously if you’re looking to start a true freshman big, missing the summer learning and development period is a big problem.

Unfortunately I'm starting to paddle down the negative stream when it comes to Brad Underwood. My initial reaction to his hire wasn't of great positivity but after some research I was sold. Last season was less than ideal primarily due to new system installation and players finding fit.

Losing so many players to transfer is alarming, especially those who you just recruited. Now we essentially have no post players. That is inexcusable for Big Ten play and Division 1 basketball in general.

I'll remain open to the future. This next recruiting class is huge in taking the necessary steps to sustained success.

No matter what - Go Illini!

#1,283      
Unfortunately I'm starting to paddle down the negative stream when it comes to Brad Underwood. My initial reaction to his hire wasn't of great positivity but after some research I was sold. Last season was less than ideal primarily due to new system installation and players finding fit.

Underwood was an A list hire. Maybe not A1, but definitely in the top tier of availability. I think his hire was considered one of, if not, the best hire of that year. This is in contrast to Groce, who was obviously option E (or lower).

Obviously even some of the best coaches fail, and theres plenty of reason for concern, but theres also a lot of time left before he sees the door here. Fact is, he was a great, nationally praised hire, one we will be with for at least a few years, regardless of on court success (for better or worse).

#1,284      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Someone better make sure they keep Whitman and Underwood away from any tall buildings in Chicago this weekend...

Keep plugging away...

#1,285      
Hopefully Samba is leaving campus but not CU and just needs to take one class over the summer at Parkland and then he's back on campus in August ready for the start of fall practice.

#1,286      
Maybe the basketball team should just take next year off. :(

Hypothetically, could the entire team redshirt? That would at least be amusing.

Sorry, folks… park's closed. The Chief out front should have told you.

Last edited:
#1,287      
I'm still believing in BU, but this falls squarely on him and his staff. We've set ourselves up for this. You have to successfully recruit players that have little to no risk. The more frequently you load the roster with kids who aren't committed to the school, don't have the required skills, don't have a water-tight transcript, don't fit your style of play, etc, then the more frequently you'll have attrition that causes you to scramble and lower your standards the next year. They have to get it done. Loyola and lots of other schools do.

We really need to stop using Loyola as an example for anything. I'd bet my future generations inheritance they don't make an Elite 8 again in my lifetime.

#1,291      
I'm still believing in BU, but this falls squarely on him and his staff. We've set ourselves up for this. You have to successfully recruit players that have little to no risk. The more frequently you load the roster with kids who aren't committed to the school, don't have the required skills, don't have a water-tight transcript, don't fit your style of play, etc, then the more frequently you'll have attrition that causes you to scramble and lower your standards the next year. They have to get it done. Loyola and lots of other schools do.
You know if in March, we had accepted Kane contingent on his reclassifying...and he would likely be available in August, most would have applauded loudly.

Now, he appears to have a clearinghouse issue and everyone is blaming it on BU, which seems nuts to me.

Ill take Kane now, in August or next year....earlier the better.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#1,293      
Hopefully Samba is leaving campus but not CU and just needs to take one class over the summer at Parkland and then he's back on campus in August ready for the start of fall practice.

That's what I'm thinking. Some people need to take a deep breath.

#1,294      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Hypothetically, could the entire team redshirt? That would at least be amusing.

Sorry, folks… park's closed. The Chief out front should have told you.

moose.gif

#1,297      

The Galloping Ghost

Washington, DC
yep...still think its nuts to blame BU for clearinghouse glitch

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

It's wild to me that people can look at each of these instances in a vacuum.

Kane, in and of itself might just be bad luck, but a roster with 3 open spots in June (maybe 4 depending on how the Kane situation shakes out) AND a serious lack of depth at a vital position, is where the issue lies. I have my fingers crossed it's nothing, but there seems to be some serious smoke coming out of Ubben right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.