Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,551      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Was just catching up - so we have gone from what is a sandwich to what direction a roll of toilet paper should roll. I did see that OMB director Mulvaney did explain the importance of the sandwich question yesterday. Seems that an open-faced roast beef sandwich is not regulated as a sandwich - so there you go. Think the FDA regulates it if a piece of bread on top, but USDA regulates it if no top piece of bread. As can be expected, the US government has an answer to every question. Probably spent millions studying the issue, and arguing among the agencies over jurisdiction. Maybe IL can get a big grant to be on call to answer such important issues going forward.

I heard that part when I was driving to lunch. So unflippinbelieveable that it was funny!!!

Regarding Samba, if he was in the area, I would assume he could do open gyms, just not any "team" activities. Does anyone know where he's taking the summer school class?

#1,552      

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
Trent Frazier, ladies and gentlemen.

giphy.gif

#1,555      
Why can't he take it at NC, could get his grade in advance as there are no classes, homework, or exams.

#1,556      
Was just catching up - so we have gone from what is a sandwich to what direction a roll of toilet paper should roll. I did see that OMB director Mulvaney did explain the importance of the sandwich question yesterday. Seems that an open-faced roast beef sandwich is not regulated as a sandwich - so there you go. Think the FDA regulates it if a piece of bread on top, but USDA regulates it if no top piece of bread. As can be expected, the US government has an answer to every question. Probably spent millions studying the issue, and arguing among the agencies over jurisdiction. Maybe IL can get a big grant to be on call to answer such important issues going forward.

For some reason, this actually makes me feel better. Thank you

#1,562      
+1. It doesn't make sense to criticize the clearinghouse process. If they can't clear the bar, they're going to struggle at the college level. It really is a low bar.
My big criticism is all of the specific required classes NCAA stipulates.

In short "over regulation".... thats what you get from an overfunded bloated NCAA staff who's job is to come up with controls and regulation for college athletics.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#1,563      
I am struggling a bit gents, and need some words of comfort. I look at this years Illini squad and instead of being excited I feel sad. I feel sad for the incoming players who are on an unbalanced team. And because of that many will have to play out of position. I don't know how the players and coaches can look at this squad and go "alright we are going to have fun this year". We need players to buy in and stick it out, so something can be built. But I wouldn't blame any of our new recruits for jumping ship.

#1,564      

Deleted member 8632

D
I am struggling a bit gents, and need some words of comfort. I look at this years Illini squad and instead of being excited I feel sad. I feel sad for the incoming players who are on an unbalanced team. And because of that many will have to play out of position. I don't know how the players and coaches can look at this squad and go "alright we are going to have fun this year". We need players to buy in and stick it out, so something can be built. But I wouldn't blame any of our new recruits for jumping ship.

Don't be sad! Find comfort in "position-less" basketball!

#1,565      
Don't be sad! Find comfort in "position-less" basketball!

Ahh, now I get it. Under Groce we were “position-less” at the 1. Now we are “position-less” at the 5. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,566      

In short "over regulation".... thats what you get from an overfunded bloated NCAA staff who's job is to come up with controls and regulation for college athletics.

They are really basic requirements though.

#1,567      
They are really basic requirements though.

Maybe...but the NCAA bureaucracy may lead to a growing trend towards the Anfernee Simons and Mitchell Robinson like routes to the league....obviously didnt seem to hurt them, not wearing a NCAA team uniform.

Not sure what NBA restrictions are, but if I was an agent I would look to sign HSers and sell them on a world class development program while they wait for the NBA draft. 24/7 development seems better than one and done at Kentucky...or 3 and done at Villanova (Brunson).

#1,568      

kcib8130

Parts Unknown

Maybe...but the NCAA bureaucracy may lead to a growing trend towards the Anfernee Simons and Mitchell Robinson like routes to the league....obviously didnt seem to hurt them, not wearing a NCAA team uniform.

Not sure what NBA restrictions are, but if I was an agent I would look to sign HSers and sell them on a world class development program while they wait for the NBA draft. 24/7 development seems better than one and done at Kentucky...or 3 and done at Villanova (Brunson).

First post: It's really just about a class not qualifying, not like he failed a bunch. just gotta get the one and move on.

Second: This is what has been happening overseas for years. seems to be working :thumb:

#1,569      

I think it hurt Mitchell Robinson in the short term and possibly longterm. But probably for those who are weak academically this might be the best route.

#1,571      

Mitchell Robinson is a 7-footer was was the best Center in that class, a top-10 consensus prospect who was once considered a lottery pick prospect and sure first rounder, before his decision to skip college. He is hardly a success story, slipping into 2nd round despite his size and talent. Anfernee Simons was the top CG and another top recruit who was considered sure first rounder, he pretty much decided on an extra year of HS (post HS gap year) by going to IMG. His stock dropped a little but less than Robinson.

Jalen Brunson developed greatly at Villanova and was a great success story. Brunson, always had physical limitations without uber athleticism and speed and was never considered a tremendous NBA prospect, although a highly ranked college player (similar to Dee Brown, who was also a fantastic college success story and a player who developed greatly while in college, but was never considered a high NBA prospect).

Going to IMG or elsewhere would not have solved Brunson's inherent physical and athleticism limitations. His stock would have dropped had he decided to skip college. Despite not going first round (still higher than Robinson who had no such limitations) I believe Brunson will find a home in the NBA.

Going to IMG may not be a bad option if you have no other academic choice, but is hardly a more desirable option than college.

Status
Not open for further replies.