Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,601      

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
Huge get as Higgs gives us depth at a position of need. He is definitely a 4 but still gives us 1 more guy who can play in the post. He also helps blunt our need for a 4 next year.

#1,604      

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Welcome to the Illinois Basketball family, Anthony. We’re really excited to see you don the Orange and Blue! I-L-L ����

#1,606      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Could have used Zdor's height, but no doubt Higgs has a much more B1G ready body and more athleticism.

:thumb:

He's listed at 6' 8" with a 7' 1" wingspan. I think he can figure out the rim protecting part. Sounds like a hard worker and definitely a champion. Good get this late in the game for the Illini.

#1,607      
One thing that everyone probably knows, but this staff isn’t about grabbing a 6 10 back to the basket big. They want energy, high motor, passers who can grab rebounds. Leron had most of that. It’s really a shame he left. Not for him, but for us. Haha.

Like I said, admissions was busy. Still a little work to do for the 2 players now.

It’s a start, just a start. But the staff wants one more big. 5th year ideally. We will see.

Also,

#1,608      
He's listed at 6' 8" with a 7' 1" wingspan. I think he can figure out the rim protecting part. Sounds like a hard worker and definitely a champion. Good get this late in the game for the Illini.

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2017/9/27/16373434/ole-miss-basketball-recruiting-anthony-higgs-andy-kennedy-todd-abernathy-maryland-perry-hall

This article confirms the wingspan, which bodes well for defensive potential at the least. Also sounds like he hasn't been playing high level basketball for long, which bodes well for his overall development too.

I would probably be extremely pumped if our team signed Mickey Mouse at this point, so consider me all in on this kid.

#1,609      
One thing that everyone probably knows, but this staff isn’t about grabbing a 6 10 back to the basket big. They want energy, high motor, passers who can grab rebounds. Leron had most of that. It’s really a shame he left. Not for him, but for us. Haha.

Like I said, admissions was busy. Still a little work to do for the 2 players now.

It’s a start, just a start. But the staff wants one more big. 5th year ideally. We will see.

Also,

I'm waiting with bated breath...

#1,611      

ILL in IA

Iowa City

Also,

giphy.gif

And thanks for sharing Ward!

#1,615      
there's a reason I check posts every hour :) looking up. article implied his class was maybe first half of summer and could arrive sometime in July vs. it didn't say he'd arrive when semester classes start. it would help to get a few weeks in with team

#1,617      

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
Higgs > Ebo ? Understanding they're not the same position. But if that's the case, then this last month was a net positive.

#1,618      
Is he eligible to play this year? If he transferred from Ole Miss, does he have to sit?
I really hope he can play this year.

Last edited:
#1,620      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Not sure if you are serious.....He de-committed from Ole Miss, never played there.

I think the concern from the original post was in line with what Kipper had to do. But Kip showed up to Tulane and was set to take summer classes. Sounds like this isn't the case with Higgs.

#1,621      
Higgs > Ebo ? Understanding they're not the same position. But if that's the case, then this last month was a net positive.

In terms of upside, probably.
In terms of what they could have done this year, probably not.

#1,622      

t7nich

Central IL
I stand corrected.. It sure seemed like he was a sure thing to Lville.

Welcome aboard Higgs! :illinois:

Nice late addition by the staff.

#1,623      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Ward really gained some cred today with that call yesterday about picking up a big. His star shines once more.

#1,625      
Nice. Sorry to see Open Scholarship move down to 11th on the 2018-2019 depth chart, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.