Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

7'0 a + obviously for what we need, otherwise, not overly impressed. Passing skills seem to be good, rebounding sounds good, but in that conference?

ACL injury is what 3 months in...so he should be good by end of year, probably before.

Watched some Kent State game highlights, foul trouble, not overly aggressive, almost lumbering type of player.

Fits the need, he is a Poor Man's Michael Thorne, so we got that going for us. If he even averages 1/2 of MT's production, shocked and happy at the same time. Not sure if that is happening though.:huh:

Understand the fit, the offer, the signing, and the options. Not sure this helps though.:(

Understand the fit, the offer, the signing, and the options. Not sure this helps though.:(

One of those cases that it is better than a scholarship not been used. Does not affect recruiting.

The Galloping Ghost

Washington, DC
Real happy to have another big.

Not that it matters, but I was a former college athlete (track) and tore my ACL. I was back to training hard six months in and back to a competitive level after nine months. Ultimately, the biggest hurdle is, weirdly enough, mental and having confidence in your movements. Now, I'll also admit I'm only six foot; a seven-footer is bringing an extra level of issues to the table.

Fits the need, he is a Poor Man's Michael Thorne, so we got that going for us. If he even averages 1/2 of MT's production, shocked and happy at the same time. Not sure if that is happening though.:huh:

If nothing else, he gets a year of rehab with Fletch. I can see why he committed to us.

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
If he had his surgery in march, timetable to return will likely be November-December for contact drills. Then he will need to get into game shape.

You need about a full year of recovery for ACL to get to 100%, but some players will return at 6 months but obviously not be at their best. Not sure where on the list he will fall.

Not that it matters, but I was a former college athlete (track) and tore my ACL. I was back to training hard six months in and back to a competitive level after nine months. Ultimately, the biggest hurdle is, weirdly enough, mental and having confidence in your movements. Now, I'll also admit I'm only six foot; a seven-footer is bringing an extra level of issues to the table.

Basketball is about as demanding on knees as any sport can be. Lotta horror stories around trying to recover and re-injuring. I would imagine he's a practice player, with zero expectations other than bringing in a good attitude and his height.

So he's a graduate of a 2 year program but immediately eligible? Not sure I'd heard of that before.

The Galloping Ghost

Washington, DC
Basketball is about as demanding on knees as any sport can be. Lotta horror stories around trying to recover and re-injuring. I would imagine he's a practice player, with zero expectations other than bringing in a good attitude and his height.

So he's a graduate of a 2 year program but immediately eligible? Not sure I'd heard of that before.

Certainly true. Just giving my experience.

Deleted member 186590

D
Isn't the typical timeframe for ACL return more like 6-8 months now? He would certainly be able to come back at some point during the season and he's 7 foot and can rebound. I would say, there is literally no downside to taking him. He'll be 24 in Oct and has already transferred twice, so I don't think he would be looking to take a medical redshirt and sit out another year.

Ha - I don't know if I've ever quoted myself in a post before, but this is exactly how I feel now. Only upside if he can help this year by big ten season, could be a major contributor on the boards

no brainer - upside, no downside. open scholarship. at the 5 on a platoon basis: i would 'settle' for adequate defense , abilitity to kick back out to shooters, some rebounds, occasionl putback. would love more.

he doesent need to be in 30 minute game shape. Give us a good 10-15 minutes in 2-3 minute shifts. upside is he provides 10 solid minutes in Dec, 15+ by Jan-Mar. defensive space eater. reduces time burden on Kane. worst case is he is antoher body in practice.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Looks like he fouled a lot in the MAC. Led KSU in fouls and fouled out of 9 games. Also led the team in turnovers by a lot. Not sure what they were, if they were bad hands, travels, etc., but not a great thing in our offense.

That being said, decent FG percentage and really good FT percentage for a big man. Didn't take a three pointer all last year, so I don't think we need to worry about him wandering out too far. Decent rebounder as well.

If he can take up space on D, grab some boards and start the fast break with good outlets, and can give Samba, Giorgi and Higgs some breaks, it'll be a plus.

Doesn't seem to be the typical Underwood big that can run the floor, though. But this late in the game, we'll take what we can get and hope he's a good fit with this team - mentally and motivationally.

If he is ready by November 2nd like they say he will be, even late November it is worth the scholarship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

Not that it matters, but I was a former college athlete (track) and tore my ACL. I was back to training hard six months in and back to a competitive level after nine months. Ultimately, the biggest hurdle is, weirdly enough, mental and having confidence in your movements. Now, I'll also admit I'm only six foot; a seven-footer is bringing an extra level of tissue to the table.

FIFY:D

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
Kane and De La Rosa and Georgi... there's 15 fouls to play with. Good move.

Side note: I was bummed we didn't get Silvio De Sousa just because the name sounded cool. Adonis De La Rosa is a nice substitute, if not in talent, but in coolness of said name.

I think adding one more 5h year transfer would still be beneficial, but this moves really eases the pressure on the staff to get someone else. Hopefully Adonis can start getting some PT early in January, play in about 20 games. We should have bodies now.

In August of 2013, 247 had him rated at #83. He "faded" to # 379. I don't think we want to use rankings for our frontcourt.
Kane-#281
Higgs-#386
Giorgi-#367
DelaRosa-#379

Rankings do not mean that a player does not have a chance to succeed, but rather that the chances are lower. As I've said before, the staff is clearly playing the chances game with open scholarships and critical needs inside. The more chances, the higher probability that at least one succeeds (at B1G level). Reality is that some of the ones who do not pan out (in addition to 5th year transfers) will likely be candidates to move on.

Slim pickings at such late time, but I am sure the staff will take even more chances with another 5th year player if that opportunity presents itself. Even if it is not a difference maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.