Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bel96

Indiana
According to the StateFarmCenter twitter account they’re repainting the court. Exciting times

Deleted member 2050

D
Man! I would love to be there to watch that paint dry!!

Why bother? You can hang around the loyalty basketball threads and do the same - from the friendly confines of your own home!

Lets assume that Underwood has another bad season next year. How long will it be before the fans start calling for his neck?

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Lets assume that Underwood has another bad season next year. How long will it be before the fans start calling for his neck?

I would prefer to assume that our team achieves more than expected, recruiting goes very well, and folks are worried if we can keep him. :D

Similar to last year? Probably safe from most scrutinization.

This upcoming recruiting cycle/offseason is going to be a better judgement on how BU's tenure goes here. If we have a ton of turnover, without grabbing some really nice recruits (and that means not banking on the spring cycle to grab 5+ guys), I dont see how he last much longer. I get turnover is an expected part of the game now, but anyone who think 8 new comers every year is a sustainable way to compete in the NCAAT needs to give me whatever they are smoking.

2020 is the year we need to, at the very least, be able to be a tournament team. I dont think Whitman fires him for missing the tournament the first three years of his tenure here, but there's gotta be some major improvement compared to last year. I'd like to believe (based on his own comments) that early on, improvement of the program is a larger step than reaching thresholds like 20 wins or the tournament. Of course, those are major pluses, and eventually those become the standard, but Whitman seems like the guy who is level headed and understands how to run a competent

I think at this point, it's safe to say theres a lot of basketball to be played and coaching to be dealt out before BU's seat is hot.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I get turnover is an expected part of the game now, but anyone who think 8 new comers every year is a sustainable way to compete in the NCAAT needs to give me whatever they are smoking.

Blue grass?

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL

If he has another bad season, a lot of fans will be calling for his neck. Heck, there are people already that think this hire was a mistake and would like to see him gone.

Personally, I think he should get at least two more years if not three to turn it around. But in college basketball, that's a pretty high level of patience these days.

I would prefer to assume that our team achieves more than expected, recruiting goes very well, and folks are worried if we can keep him. :D

That was pretty much the sentiment of this board after Groce's first year.:D

If he has another bad season, a lot of fans will be calling for his neck. Heck, there are people already that think this hire was a mistake and would like to see him gone.

Personally, I think he should get at least two more years if not three to turn it around. But in college basketball, that's a pretty high level of patience these days.

The vast majority of UI fans know that he is a heck of a coach who was left with very little to work with last year. With Frazier, Ayo, Jones, Williams, etc. on board, adding Whitney, Liddell, Shannon and a good big in the fall will satisfy fans even if the team struggles at times due to youth.

illini80

Forgottonia
The vast majority of UI fans know that he is a heck of a coach who was left with very little to work with last year. With Frazier, Ayo, Jones, Williams, etc. on board, adding Whitney, Liddell, Shannon and a good big in the fall will satisfy fans even if the team struggles at times due to youth.
I'm taking that as a prediction combes! :thumb:

I don't want anyone to interpret this as being ok with losing. I am not. However, even the losses last year were more entertaining than anything that I watched during the Groce years.

ttelbonk

Champaign
I don't want anyone to interpret this as being ok with losing. I am not. However, even the losses last year were more entertaining than anything that I watched during the Groce years.

I agree. Team was hard to watch for Weber’s later years and pretty much all through the Groce era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.