Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 643761

D
Yep...wasn't Alex Legion making like 90 out of 100 shots from beyond the ark during pre season workouts????....how'd that work out???

And then in games he couldn't hit the ocean from the deck of a boat.

This season will definitely have a lot of tests. Maui bracket that includes Duke and Gonzaga. Then going up against Georgetown, also @ Notre Dame and of course the border game with Missouri.

It'll be a tough schedule.

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.
Going to the Kennel and sticking it to the Zags was pretty awesome too!

Air guitar boy...
default.jpg

https://youtu.be/8ziOMJeC6lc

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.
I don't think his seat is even a little warm. Fans tend to be fickle, so you'll see plenty of negativity if things go badly.

We have a tough schedule, a young club, and are coming off a rough transition from the Groce days. So we should benefit from lower expectations. We're not going to be expected to win against our tougher opponents. And yet, if our guards are having a good day, we should be in a lot of games simply because we have some strong shooters.

We're not deep, and I'd guess our talent level is probably going to be middle of the conference overall. If we have another bad season, it will probably get attributed to being young, especially if we're getting beat defensively in the paint, then to recruiting, and then to a lesser extent, coaching.

Year 3 he'll have another season of his recruiting, and more indication of whether his guys are buying into the system and executing. If we get MIF players in this cycle, that should be a huge positive step towards returning to relevancy, and year 3 would be a fairer year to evaluate him. Even then it will depend on progress. I don't think he'll have excuses by year 4, if it takes that long to turn it around. My 2 cents. This is not a short rebuild.

Well said.

Josh Whitman is a long term, big picture guy. Thank God.
Lovie, BU and others will continue to have long leashes until they can get their respective programs in place. That's when the scrutiny will begin in earnest.

Last edited:
I think 2020 is going to be the first class where BU and staff have had sufficient time to build relationship and show enough of their programs to recruit. The past two recruiting cycles has been strictly "catch-up". I think 2019 has given them some time to build relationships but as we are seeing with Okoro and likely Liddell not enough.

Hopefully success of the team and individual players like Ayo, Tevian, and the bigs will give further proof of player development.

On a side note, really impressed with Trent's maturity and trust in the system. Looks stronger and better from the few highlight released. That is what "buy in" looks like. I think Damonte has the same work ethic, just coming off the injury has set him back about a year. But Damonte does a lot of the small things right and in a couple of years he will be more of an impact player. Reminds me of Javy Baez in that respect.

Groce's 1st year was 20x more entertaining than Underwood's 1st year. Everything about the Maui tourney, beating #1 ranked IU, the Brandon Paul buzzer beater vs. Minny in the B1G Tourney, beating Colorado in the Tourney, the game against Miami to go to the sweet 16.

I am hopeful Underwood gets this train rolling, but debating the "excitement" level or "entertainment" level of years 1 under Groce vs. Underwood is unbelievable. Year 1 was Groce's peak, and it was a breath of fresh air after the end of the Weber era. That was the last time Illinois basketball was genuinely enjoyable on any tangible level. Every experience since has been a hope and a prayer.

Posters suggesting that the cringe-worthy experience of last year could touch the excitement of the first year under Groce is unbelievable to me. That doesn't mean, in any way, that we were wrong to part with Groce or wrong to hire Underwood. It's just that Groce's 1st year was 20x more entertaining (an understatement) than the 1st year of the Underwood tenure. Optimism ABOUND after year 1 of Groce. Fingers crossed on Underwood, if he had the momentum Groce had after year 1, we would be sitting so pretty right now. :(

(and I know you are agreeing Banana, I am primarily building off your post here)

Groce first year was good, I think that is the difference in having an experienced senior filled roster and a solid PG. Besides Paul and Richardson, they had two more 4 year players. They also had a solid center to defend the rim and a PG. I believe they also had a good grad transfer big.

Likely the last time we had a somewhat balanced roster. Groce never had a good or healthy PG after that season.

My impression of Ayo was lifted considerably with his recent showing. Didn't think Trent was a true point guard but Ayo definitely is. They will make each other better and was ecstatic to see him play defense. Tough to judge the rest of the pieces but think they have the physical tools.

I think Trent is faster and more twitchy than Ayo. But Ayo has the vision and IQ to make some good dishes to a moving TF.

Quick powerful explosion.

More used as a football term but a measure of athleticism
Oh man...please lets not go down the road of how Twitchy (and athletic) Larry Bird was...

On related note....quickness is hard to measure. You have quick first step, you have Harden-like change of pace, you have quick leapers for rebounds.... Really tough to quantify. I agree that TF is quick/"twitchy"...haven't seen enough of Ayo to compare, but hopefully quickness is integral part of all the players' development plan.

If it helps you, think of Dee Brown and Deron Williams. Both PG's. Dee was the twitchy one on the court. Capable of breathtaking, sudden bursts of speed that left others in his dust.

twitchy Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/twitchy

twitchy meaning: nervous and worried, sometimes showing this through sudden movements or movements that do not appear smooth or relaxed...

Pretty sure Dee was smooth and relaxed while playing ball at all times...I get the drift however.

twitchy Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/twitchy

twitchy meaning: nervous and worried, sometimes showing this through sudden movements or movements that do not appear smooth or relaxed...

Pretty sure Dee was smooth and relaxed while playing ball at all times...I get the drift however.

Be quick, but don't hurry. Illinois basketball has lacked that (quickness) since 2005. Augustine was excellent when he faked the handoff, or rolled to the basket. Head was deceptively quick when he needed it. I think it is pretty obvious what BU is trying to recruit. Shooters, quickness, passing, drivers. You know, basketball players, and not one trick ponies.

I, for one, am astounded that the Cambridge English Dictionary is not aware of the subtleties of uncommon American athletic terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.