Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

t7nich

Central IL
If Loyalty were in charge of Giorgi's fitness, that kid would be living on burgers and pizza in order to add 30 lbs of mass.

:cool:
Does this post qualify as Loyalty after dark, or Loyalty before sunrise?

Seriously though, comparing a Freshman's HS rebounding stats to one of our Senior leaders is kind of a joke. Not only are Freshmen 9/10 underdeveloped compared to a four year college athlete, but like Mr. Jordan says, the defense is complicated, and that adds a whole other level to it. Since we're talking about Aaron, he shot 54% from the 3 as a senior in HS and got 5 rpg and then as a Freshmen shot 34% from the 3 and got 0.9rpg averaging 11mpg. HS stats don't translate to Freshmen stats and certainly isn't an indicator of an incoming Freshmen being better than a Senior. Unless the comparison is that Aaron had worse defensive stats as an incoming Freshmen than Griffen. That also doesn't make any sense since the leagues are entirely different, roles are different, and high school stats are really no indication of actual ability in college. It's such a transition. Morgan had killer stats but a rough transition. Ended up being a great center for us, but it takes time.

Idk though, Mr. Jordan, how are your rebounding skills? Apparently the real indicator of success is the father's skill. ;) ;) Let us know how the 1v1 vs Griffen's dad goes.
Too Funny!!!

It is amazing how many experts there are on this forum who know more about the new players than the coaches do.

Guess I never saw Griffin as a starter (see AJ as the 3) but think he could see some minutes if he can defend. It just seems to me that evaluations seem to carry emphasis on offense and defense has been our problem. Alstork and TJL played because they played defense not because of their offense. With Trent, AJ, DaW, and Kipper having a season under BU it should be an easier task to teach the newcomers the defensive system. Traditionally it seems tough to teach freshman defense but DaW and Trent seemed to pick it up and Ayo seems oriented.

Last year's stats for defense of 2 pt shooting (conf=60%) and TRB's were some of the worst in modern Illini history. I can't imagine this year could be worse. Hopefully the Freshman learn quickly or we are in trouble again.

I agree with GA65, Griffin is a better rebounder than AJ from his HS stats. His dad was a good defender, so that makes me guess he'll be better than AJ there as well.

You guys are absolutely hilarious sometimes...(guess thats what this site is for) lol AJ was the fouth leading rebounder on the team last year (thats in the B1G) and you guys are comparing a Freshman's highschool stats....you cant even make this !!!! up. Too funny! Coach has a complicated defensive scheme and it will take time for the ANY freshman in the B1G to learn it. Thank God for upper class-men because we are going to need each and everyone of them. Anyway...you may continue LMAO!

I think AJ's Dad has shown he can defend as well... & yes Rob I agree & am glad we have both of our returning upper class-men ( and the 2 soph) we will need all of them.

Also classy interview of AJ the other day.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Easy one. Ayo.

Per usual, opinion spoken as fact.

Feliz.

Not that S&C needs defending, but would guys be happier if he just started every message with, "I think..." and then posted everything as usual? It's a message board. Unless you're reporting a news event, or quoting a stat (without ANY analysis), then 99% of what is posted is opinion. Does everyone need to explicitly state "THIS IS MY OPINION" before saying anything?

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Easy one. Ayo.

I'm hoping that Ayo defends all season like he was during his minutes for Team USA. If he does, and he's out as the first defender picking up opposing point guards, it sort of sets the tone for everyone else. It'll be glaringly obvious if someone else isn't hustling, when you see Ayo playing like that.

I think more so than a rim protector blocking shots, an on-the-ball defender guarding the opposing primary ball handler tightly and aggressively can have a really contagious effect on the rest of the team defense.

Not that S&C needs defending, but would guys be happier if he just started every message with, "I think..." and then posted everything as usual? It's a message board. Unless you're reporting a news event, or quoting a stat (without ANY analysis), then 99% of what is posted is opinion. Does everyone need to explicitly state "THIS IS MY OPINION" before saying anything?

Guess you missed "Easy one." We aren’t talking about everyone- we are talking about the most condescending poster on the board.

I think the alternate meaning of 'S&C' is 'smug and condescending' but this is only my opinion. Well, maybe.

Last edited:
We don't know more than the coaches do, but we know more than what the coaches are willing or able to say publicly.
I can't think of any reason to believe that. Where do you get your information that you think that? Highlight tapes, tea leaves?

Bailey

Los Angeles
Guess you missed "Easy one." We aren’t talking about everyone- we are talking about the most condescending poster on the board.

I think the alternate meaning of 'S&C' is 'smug and condescending' but this is only my opinion. Well, maybe.

lol calm down dude

I can't think of any reason to believe that. Where do you get your information that you think that? Highlight tapes, tea leaves?

Coaches can't say anything publicly about recruits, right? So far as one's knowledge regarding any recruit extends beyond zero, I think this holds true.

Exactly which part of that is hard to believe. If we missed on all of our hypothetical plan A targets in spring, a semi local big for Bloomington that we would have seriously wounded someone to get, them signed a foreign big playing on the east coast. Is Underwood going to say this kid has skills and we are really excited to have him or do you expect to go on and say finish the sentence with because there is no one left and we are desperate for any big because Kipper isn’t excited about playing the 5. Not that this purely hypothetical situation has to be either extreme, just don’t be naive enough it is definitely the prior when we have already run out of OV with other guys that we we were mistaken about there fit once we got them on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right or wrong, I see Griffin as an AJ type of player. Hard worker. Not ultra athletic, but a great teammate and someone who will be a solid contributor and a strong 3 point threat.

I think they are different outside of both being excellent outside shooters. Comparing them as high school seniors, Griffin is a much better ball handler and more athletic. He also shoots better off the dribble. Answer this: do you think that as a high school player Jordan would have been able to be the MVP of the NY state tourney against many four and five star players? I am a Jordan fan, but no way he does that. Griffin did things in those games that Jordan wasn’t capable of at that age.

Now, as a freshman, could Griffin be a 3 and D guy? Sure. But his ceiling is much higher than Jordan’s. Working as hard as Jordan would benefit him. And I’m sure Jordan is taking him under his wing and teaching him college work ethic.

And, Mr. Jordan, I am a big fan of your son. I am not saying that Griffin will be better than Aaron this year. Experience is a key on any team.

Last edited:
I think they are different outside of both being excellent outside shooters. Comparing them as high school seniors, Griffin is a much better ball handler and more athletic. He also shoots better off the dribble. Answer this: do you think that as a high school player Jordan would have been able to be the MVP of the NY state tourney against many four and five star players? I am a Jordan fan, but no way he does that. Griffin did things in those games that Jordan wasn’t capable of at that age.

Now, as a freshman, could Griffin be a 3 and D guy? Sure. But his ceiling is much higher than Jordan’s. Working as hard as Jordan would benefit him. And I’m sure Jordan is taking him under his wing and teaching him college work ethic.

And, Mr. Jordan, I am a big fan of your son. I am not saying that Griffin will be better than Aaron this year. Experience is a key on any team.
The irony of all this is that IF the newcomers can learn the system, compete and gel quickly (and possibly exceed stats of AJ or other veterans early), that means AJ has had the greatest possible impact in one of the most critical areas we need....Leadership.

The young guys excelling early would be a signal that AJs summer work, leadership and mentoring the young guys has paid off handsomely.

The leaders on the team I'm sure don't see this as a competition with one another....but aim to get the best from each player on the team, enjoy playing together and gel as a team. That team chemistry and leadership is what differentiates a Loyola team from a Kansas State team (ref Elite 8 this year).

Does this post qualify as Loyalty after dark, or Loyalty before sunrise?

Seriously though, comparing a Freshman's HS rebounding stats to one of our Senior leaders is kind of a joke. Not only are Freshmen 9/10 underdeveloped compared to a four year college athlete, but like Mr. Jordan says, the defense is complicated, and that adds a whole other level to it. Since we're talking about Aaron, he shot 54% from the 3 as a senior in HS and got 5 rpg and then as a Freshmen shot 34% from the 3 and got 0.9rpg averaging 11mpg. HS stats don't translate to Freshmen stats and certainly isn't an indicator of an incoming Freshmen being better than a Senior. Unless the comparison is that Aaron had worse defensive stats as an incoming Freshmen than Griffen. That also doesn't make any sense since the leagues are entirely different, roles are different, and high school stats are really no indication of actual ability in college. It's such a transition. Morgan had killer stats but a rough transition. Ended up being a great center for us, but it takes time.

Idk though, Mr. Jordan, how are your rebounding skills? Apparently the real indicator of success is the father's skill. ;) ;) Let us know how the 1v1 vs Griffen's dad goes.

Well if that's what you thought I meant, sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that Griff coming out of H S is a better rebounder than AJ as a freshman. Griff played in a tougher league than AJ as well. Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't trying to say Griff is a better rebounder than AJ now. I was impressed with AJ's fight on the boards last year.

I think the alternate meaning of 'S&C' is 'smug and condescending'

Nice. I do try to be respectful, but I have a weakness for overcooked rhetorical flourishes, guilty as charged. There, I did it again.

Oh I don't think our information is very good at all, there is a ton of uncertainty, for this team even more than most, but publicly available coachspeak is essentially entirely worthless, especially before these guys have even started camp.

That was my point, obviously the coaches both know way more about basketball than anyone here plus have really intimate knowledge of the games and levels of potential of our new players (and our returning ones). It's just that we don't have access to any of that knowledge and shouldn't use publicly available media day happy talk to assume that we do.

Nice. I do try to be respectful, but I have a weakness for overcooked rhetorical flourishes, guilty as charged. There, I did it again.

Oh I don't think our information is very good at all, there is a ton of uncertainty, for this team even more than most, but publicly available coachspeak is essentially entirely worthless, especially before these guys have even started camp.

That was my point, obviously the coaches both know way more about basketball than anyone here plus have really intimate knowledge of the games and levels of potential of our new players (and our returning ones). It's just that we don't have access to any of that knowledge and shouldn't use publicly available media day happy talk to assume that we do.

So I guess that must mean that the media day happy talk is also "essentially entirely worthless" (similar to coachspeak)...

So I guess that must mean that the media day happy talk is also "essentially entirely worthless" (similar to coachspeak)...

To be honest......yeah. Most of that stuff is pretty much meaningless unless its coaches elaborating on an injury or something. I mean at this time last year Mark Smith was the second coming of Jason Kidd lol. This isn't a knock on BU by any means, its just standard for coaches in general to just spit out platitudes for sound bites to appease sports journalists.

If you follow the NBA at all, Popovich has some hilarious interactions with reporters because he likes to let them know how useless coach speak is.

Ref S&C "coachspeak is essentially entirely worthless...."

QUOTE="NeaforThree, post: 1402797, member: 687255"]To be honest......yeah. Most of that stuff is pretty much meaningless unless its coaches elaborating on an injury or something. I mean at this time last year Mark Smith was the second coming of Jason Kidd lol. This isn't a knock on BU by any means, its just standard for coaches in general to just spit out platitudes for sound bites to appease sports journalists.

If you follow the NBA at all, Popovich has some hilarious interactions with reporters because he likes to let them know how useless coach speak is.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try to weave in "essentially entirely...." into a conversation each day this week

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.