Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I only read the article on the front page associated with the video but didn’t have time to watch the video. Two takeaways that I got from simply reading are:

1. I get the feel Samba Kane isn’t coming back. Not sure why...it’s just how I read BUs response to questions about him.

2. Alan Griffin isn’t wowing the coaches yet and may be a low minutes guy.

Anybody watch the video and get a different opinion based?
Griffin has been great in the workouts according to my guy. Great shooter. Best on the team. Hits off the dribble. Needed strength. He is getting it.

Kane is expected back soon. So is Higgs.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Griffin has been great in the workouts according to my guy. Great shooter. Best on the team. Hits off the dribble. Needed strength. He is getting it.

Great news, thanks.

Griffin could be one of those kids who is an understudy his freshman year, but flourishes year 2 and beyond.

Deleted member 654622

D

I believe he was front squatting in one of the hype videos posted earlier in the summer with seemingly light weight. I remember thinking "dang maybe he isn't game ready just yet". Not saying he isn't going to contribute. Just stating it was an eye opener for me as far as the physical tools

This is all good! TY

Measured without shoes with gloves.

The video was a whole lotta coach-speak, which is great for those that are hungry for news in the offseason, I suppose. The only way we'll know if the culture is truly changing, or if these guys are ready to compete for a tournament spot, is by seeing how it translates in games against other tourney teams. But you knew that :p

My 2 cents is that we're still in the early days of the rebuild....despite it being year 2, simply because we've had a number of setbacks. I think these are the guys that will lay the foundation, though. Really hope to see a more dangerous team this year, and one that won't quit.

To answer some previous posts, NBA measures standing vert and max vert off 3 steps, can go off 1 or 2 feet. Trent’s video was impressive. With in game adrenaline it’s not hard to imagine him booming somebody.

Based on BU talk (didn’t watch the video just what I’m taking from others) I hope Giorgi is not this year’s Mark Smith.

Was there any mention of Ayo’s jumper?

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I hope Giorgi is not this year’s Mark Smith.

The big difference from a fan's perspective would be expectations. Many expected MS to come in and excel from day one. Most would be happy with any positive play from GB.

His quotes about Damonte seem more indicative of MS.

We have already seen Damonte be better than Smith though. There is also more natural reason for optimism just due to health.

Doesn’t really seem comparable.

We have already seen Damonte be better than Smith though. There is also more natural reason for optimism just due to health.

Doesn’t really seem comparable.
I meant more along the lines of his hyperbole usage. The Jason Kidd comps vs. the most improved year to year player he's ever seen (also swear he said that about someone last year too).

Schedule is tough, but not as tough as the Final Four year of 2004-5. Illinois played WF#1 and a bunch of top 25 teams prior to BIG (Gonzaga, Cincinatti, Georgetown, Mizzou, Arkansas, Oregon). The BIG was tougher that year as well compared to this year.

His quotes about Damonte seem more indicative of MS.

Or more indicative of BS.

Schedule is tough, but not as tough as the Final Four year of 2004-5. Illinois played WF#1 and a bunch of top 25 teams prior to BIG (Gonzaga, Cincinatti, Georgetown, Mizzou, Arkansas, Oregon). The BIG was tougher that year as well compared to this year.

Ah, the mere mention of that schedule brings back so many good memories of an amazing season. The way they played was beautiful. They put on a show, and didn't let up off the gas. Absolutely wanted to beat and dominate every team.

sacraig

The desert
Honestly, I am thrilled to play a reasonable number of interesting non-conference games for the first time in a long time. It was so freaking boring watching us just beat up on East Bufu State (or in recent years, barely squeak by them). I get the idea of giving the players some time to jell against lesser competition, but I honestly feel like we are better off with a tougher and more entertaining schedule due to the increased exposure, increased fan interest, and the trial by fire nature of it. I'll take short-term pain that leads to long-term gain 10 times out of 10.

Honestly, I am thrilled to play a reasonable number of interesting non-conference games for the first time in a long time.

Indeed. The last time we played a decent schedule was 2012-13 were in addition to Maui, we had Gonzaga, Georgia Tech, Mizzou, and Auburn. Coincidentally, that was the last time we made the tournament, so hopefully a good omen. The better non-conference schedule actually helped as get a surprisingly high seed in the tournament that year.

jmilt7

Waukegan
So I only read the article on the front page associated with the video but didn’t have time to watch the video. Two takeaways that I got from simply reading are:

1. I get the feel Samba Kane isn’t coming back. Not sure why...it’s just how I read BUs response to questions about hi

I don't know. I just got the impression that BU couldn't talk about the academic part so had really nothing much to say. As if he couldn't say anything for legal reasons, although I don't mean that literally.

I don't know. I just got the impression that BU couldn't talk about the academic part so had really nothing much to say. As if he couldn't say anything for legal reasons, although I don't mean that literally.

Academics are a personal thing for the most part. Likely university rule or just tact not to go in great detail about grades and classes.

Indeed. The last time we played a decent schedule was 2012-13 were in addition to Maui, we had Gonzaga, Georgia Tech, Mizzou, and Auburn. Coincidentally, that was the last time we made the tournament, so hopefully a good omen. The better non-conference schedule actually helped as get a surprisingly high seed in the tournament that year.

I've heard many arguments about playing easier teams to get the team ready for more difficult ones. That to me is an absurd argument on many fronts. The only benefit I can see to playing weak teams is to get to the 20 win plateau, but that is not what makes a great team. Greatness is only made by beating the best. Being your best and beating the best. If you want to play patsies and then whine because your 20-12 team did not make the dance, I guess you can do that.

sacraig

The desert
I've heard many arguments about playing easier teams to get the team ready for more difficult ones. That to me is an absurd argument on many fronts. The only benefit I can see to playing weak teams is to get to the 20 win plateau, but that is not what makes a great team. Greatness is only made by beating the best. Being your best and beating the best. If you want to play patsies and then whine because your 20-12 team did not make the dance, I guess you can do that.

I think there is some merit to the argument in terms of specifically helping freshmen get the hang on the NCAA game by playing in early games that are, in essence, "NCAA-lite" games. To me, the solution is let's stop relying heavily on freshmen and play a real schedule.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
VC says that both have enrolled and added to the roster.

No clue who VC is. That said, it sounds like he's jumping the gun.

"The players that were here over the summer headed out on their break last night after Tuesday's final summer workout with the coaching staff. They're off until the school year starts on Aug. 27. That's the first day of classes. Anthony Higgs will likely get to campus at some point in the week before that. So will Samba Kane, if, of course, he'll be able to enroll. There was no definitive answer given yesterday, but Brad Underwood said he expects Kane to be on campus later this month."

http://www.news-gazette.com/chats/2018-07-30/aug-1-illinois-basketball-chat.html

Status
Not open for further replies.