Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Giorgio isn't being mentioned in this conversation. As he has been here over the summer and has a head start, my bet is he will start the first game. BU said he has great feet and stayed in front of Trent on defense but needed improvement rebounding. Maybe only as athletic as Bird though.
Just the thought that G can stay in front of Trent makes me giddy. The reality of it would have me over the moon. As a practice report skeptic, I'll believe it when I see it. C'mon November

Like I said, lofty comparison, but I think he can be good quick. Like a lot of guys, hope he can show up on the defensive end to get the trust from BU and enough time on the court. But the kid can score, looks like he can play above the rim (Malcolm didn't) but needs to add some of the fitness that made Malcolm so good. He is highly thought off based on rankings, but I think like Frazier last year coming in, being from out of state got overlooked on this board. I think Jones is overlooked here too. Just my gut feeling.

I'm a big fan of Jones. He's a little stiff in his movements at times and I wonder if that's why a lot of people sell him short. I think he will be a very good college player and has a little bit of a killer attitude from I've seen.

I'm not worried about Giorgi. If he can stay in front of Trent on defense then he'll be contributing and getting minutes. The real wild card is the question of who will fill Leron's shoes the best... We saw flashes towards the end of the year from Kipper. That's my bet.

Three most important Illini for 2018-2019: Trent, Ayo, Kipper, in that order. If Giorgi can hit the jumper and stay in front of his guy (and help on D without fouling), I bet he'll be effective when he's in there.

I think there's an argument to be made that Kipper showing some kind of consistency being the player that scored 31 on Michigan State would be the biggest potential swing of wins for us this year.

Beat Illinois Wesleyan!!

They are much deeper than we are:

1534454615801.png

Looks like they ran out of numbers.

I think there's an argument to be made that Kipper showing some kind of consistency being the player that scored 31 on Michigan State would be the biggest potential swing of wins for us this year.
If Kipper does what he needs to do to stay on the floor, this season will turn out a lot better than a lot of us are expecting. He brings an awful lot to the table.

Deleted member 8213

D
Just the thought that G can stay in front of Trent makes me giddy. The reality of it would have me over the moon. As a practice report skeptic, I'll believe it when I see it. C'mon November
Sure he stayed in front of Trent, but did he remind anyone of Jason Kidd?:unsure:

My initial reaction is, I don't see it happening. Kipper's been his own worst enemy, and I don't expect a guys mentality to change dramatically from one season to the next. Also, he's a guy that does an awful lot of things well, but I haven't seen signs of him having an extra gear or way to beat guys consistently. He's pretty good in traffic on both ends of the floor, can hit FTs, and has some inside out to his game. If we actually run the offense properly, I could see him doing significantly better because he makes opportunities already, and that little bit of window that Underwood's offense is supposed to generate could really benefit a player like him. OTOH, I worry it could go the other way if defenses can key in on him more, given how young and potentially lacking in confident scorers we'll be. Really depends on how the team plays as much as Kipper.

Dan

Admin
#Illini incoming freshman Anthony Higgs will be in town soon... [twitter]

Expected to arrive next week. (Any update on Samba Kane?) [twitter]

You know what I don't hear enough about on this board? Mr. Aaron Jordan. Here is a guy that has stuck through a LOT of crap with this team over the past 3 years. From all accounts he's a really good guy and he's obviously very committed to the Orange and Blue. Last year he showing some serious shooting ability and if better offensive execution can get him more open shots (or he can improve his shooting with a guy in his face) he could be huge for us.

I think given everything he's been through, the commitment he's shown to the school and the team, and the talent potential he has as a senior he should get a little more discussion. Sure Trent is the breakout and Ayo is the shiny new tow with all the potential, but I would love nothing more than to see AJ have a breakout season and get some credit on a national level.

now that we know Higgs and Kane will be arriving, what’s a realistic starting 5 and rotation look like?

begin the season:
Feliz
Trent
Jordan
Nichols
Kane
6th man: Damonte
7th man: Ayo
8th: Jones
9th: Bez
end the season:
Trent
Ayo
Jones
Nichols
Kane
6th man: Damonte
7th man: Jordan
8th man: Feliz
9th man: Higgs
10th: Bez
spot minutes: Griffin

Plenty has been said about AJ earlier. It is just that he is one of the few knowns on the team and there really isn't much variance in what people expect/hope from him. Not much of a conversation to be had besides from "good kid, expect the same but slightly better, will be an important player for the team."

I'd be surprised to see Kane start at the beginning of the season after missing the summer.

De La Rosa probably isn't ready for Game 1. So Giorgi?

I would concur with the Kane prediction.

But I feel like I ought to win a free beach vacation or something when Feliz isn't the starter at PG. ;)

Regarding starting line-ups. Ball handing, ball control, defense, rebounding, and shooting will be keys

Think we go with Trent, Ayo, Damonte, Kipper, and AJordan. We recruited some size, but the key will be help defense and rebounding. I think this 5 will know the offense and can provide some pressure D beyond the key. As match ups dictate and as the season progresses will likely work in Kane, Delarosa (health?), and other bigs. I see Tevian playing an undersize PF for us off the bench.

Ayo, Trent, Damonte, AJ, Kipper
6th: Feliz 7th: Tjones

Ayo will start, I will bet my beach house that everyone is talking about.

De La Rosa probably isn't ready for Game 1. So Giorgi?

I would concur with the Kane prediction.

But I feel like I ought to win a free beach vacation or something when Feliz isn't the starter at PG. ;)

Sorry but we didn't bring in Ayo to come off the bench.

Beginning of the season

Ayo
Trent
AJ (veteran who can play D)
Kipper
Giorgi (our "veteran" big)

Conference

Ayo
Trent
Kipper
Tev
Kane

First off bench/starters minutes: AJ and Feliz

Overall while it's nice to go over potential starting lineups, as we saw last year there will be minutes to be spread around due to the intensity required for the defensive pressure. Hypotheses of starting lineups will be just an exercise in imagination and I'm sure that the starting lineups will rotate some what for matchups, etc.

They are much deeper than we are:

View attachment 3430

Looks like they ran out of numbers.
When I was attending ISU, I dated a cheerleader from Wesleyan and that was in the heyday of Sikma. Games were exciting and the gym was packed. Now a lot of those great NAIA teams have moved up to NCAA, but back in the day it was not unusual to see very good talent on some of those teams. Now, they make for a great exhibition warmup.

Status
Not open for further replies.