Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t be the only one thinking that the Trent Ayo Jones Kipper Kane lineup will be our best late in the year. Best athletes, most individual talent and could really be good defensively if the youngsters can make it click.

I can’t be the only one thinking that the Trent Ayo Jones Kipper Kane lineup will be our best late in the year. Best athletes, most individual talent and could really be good defensively if the youngsters can make it click.

It may be Jordan instead of Jones. Jordan's defense, as a senior, is likely to be much better than Jones' as a freshman. The extra year of experience with the offense, and the addition of another playmaker may open up enough space for Jordan to be a contributor on offense as well.

It may be Jordan instead of Jones. Jordan's defense, as a senior, is likely to be much better than Jones' as a freshman. The extra year of experience with the offense, and the addition of another playmaker may open up enough space for Jordan to be a contributor on offense as well.

Agreed early on it will be Jordan, but as the year goes by, the minutes will also and Jones should overtake him. Something tells me that the way Jordan seems to be, he will be rooting on and coaching up the youngster. RJordan and family has done a great job with their son, class family and kid all the way.

Would love for that to be the case with DeLaRosa being 100%. Would indicate Kane has made a big jump. Also Jones would seem to be the primary backup for Kipper so not sure they would start together. Tough to see how the minutes will play out as lots of possibilities.

Felix, Trent, Ayo,Kipper, DeLaRosa
(D. Williams, Jordan, Jones,Giorgi, Kane, Alan)

on paper this team does look pretty deep.
just because we have guys with names doesn’t mean we will be deep. I like Giorgi’s potential but if he’s still getting more than 10+ minutes a game with De La Rose and Kane fully healthy than that’s probably a problem. But our 1-3 depth is pretty decent, would be huge if Monte’s hype this offseason has any credibility. I think right now Ayo/Trent/Feliz/Kipper are “locks of making the rotation, and it’ll be a battle between Jordan/Monte/Alan/Jones for extra minutes at the 1-3 spots.

You guys really do like to sleep on Damonte don’t you? He will start every game this year barring injury. Book it.
not sleeping, but we brought in guys like Feliz and Ayo to start, and Trent is starting every game. I love me some Damonte, but hes got some competition at the 2/3.

Felix, Trent, Ayo,Kipper, DeLaRosa
(D. Williams, Jordan, Jones,Giorgi, Kane, Alan)

on paper this team does look pretty deep.

You could argue there isn't a lot of drop off from the starting 5 to the second 5, but in this case I don't think that is a good thing.

I agree we do have a problem this season, it is down low. Much like last season. Kane/DeLaRosa/Giorgi are not going to be prepared to go against the top competition in College Basketball and that is where long time Illini fans expect this team perennially. We are not ready, in particular down low. However that is where we rely on Underwood's tactics and we hope we hang in there versus 1/2 of the superior talented teams (I would say we did last year) and that we have the mentality to beat inferior teams (I would say we didn't have that under JFG and we didn't have it last year).
So there is reason to be optimistic even though we obviously have inferior talent this upcoming season.
Btw - I love DaMonte. In particular in Underwood's system, same with Jones.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
just because we have guys with names doesn’t mean we will be deep. I like Giorgi’s potential but if he’s still getting more than 10+ minutes a game with De La Rose and Kane fully healthy than that’s probably a problem. But our 1-3 depth is pretty decent, would be huge if Monte’s hype this offseason has any credibility. I think right now Ayo/Trent/Feliz/Kipper are “locks of making the rotation, and it’ll be a battle between Jordan/Monte/Alan/Jones for extra minutes at the 1-3 spots.
I really think that these guys are playing 1 - 4. I think they will all see significant time, health allowing.

Deleted member 8213

D
It’s the old Backup Quarterback effect.

the-grass-is-always-greener-david-arment.jpg

Dan, why does this site use a default font that doesn't distinguish Capital I from small l?

GO Illini!

Also does not default that Illini is an acceptable word!

Hope the basketball team can at least exceed expectations.

Are we better at the 1-3 spot this year? Yes.

Are we better at 4-5 this year? Possibly.

Will we be better defensively? Yes.

This team lost A LOT of close games last year (12 by 10pts or less). I think we will be surprised and see progress.

I predict a final four trip.... in the NIT:cool:

Then in year 3 of the rebuild we will be rocking it in the tourney with Frazier leading the way to a Sweet 16 trip.

This team lost A LOT of close games last year (12 by 10pts or less). I think we will be surprised and see progress.

10 points isn't a close game. We were .500 in 2 possession games. I wouldn't expect a huge swing based on that.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Dan, why does this site use a default font that doesn't distinguish Capital I from small l?

You might have to be a typography nerd like me, or have a decently high-res screen, but the capital I is actually very slightly thicker than a lowercase l.

You could argue there isn't a lot of drop off from the starting 5 to the second 5, but in this case I don't think that is a good thing.
,"If"we can stay healthy I like this lineup top to bottom better then last year..
Didn't think I would feel that way early but .....Yes sir signed me up

Are we better at the 1-3 spot this year? Yes.

Are we better at 4-5 this year? Possibly.

Will we be better defensively? Yes.

I predict a final four trip.... in the NIT:cool:

Then in year 3 of the rebuild we will be rocking it in the tourney with Frazier leading the way to a Sweet 16 trip.

We are almost guaranteed to be better at the 1-3 spots this year. But being better defensively and at the 4/5 both remains to be seen. Kane is very skinny and upperclassmen big men are almost always better defensively. Who knows what Giorgi will bring. Kipper will play the 4 but is really a 3.

Defensively we lost 2 good guards in Alstork and Lucas. Remains to be seen if someone can step into their shoes. Ayo and Felix both have the potential but who knows.

I feel like a lot of people are assuming the defense has to get better because it can t get any worse. But it definitely can. Imagine giving up the same FG% but forcing fewer turnovers and giving up more rebounds. That’s a legit possibility.

To start the year:
Ayo, Trent, Damonte, AJ, Kipper

Halfway through the year:
Ayo, Trent, Damonte, Tevian, Kipper

End of year:

Ayo, Trent, Damonte, Kipper, Giorgi/Kane

Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.